Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing oil and filter in differential assembly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Back when I got my 3 LR RWD in May 2018, the standard maintenance thing was to change the differential / gearbox oil and filter at 25,000 miles. But only a month or so before I got to 25K, Tesla stopped doing that. Now they claim it's good for much longer, I forget the time or mileage numbers, but after 3 years and 70K miles, I say no. I want it changed. Unless it's synthetic oil, I just don't feel good about it being this old and with this many miles on it.

And now that I'm out of warranty due to mileage, the service center will slam me with their $175 an hour rate, plus parts. I'm capable of doing my own work, I have extensive automotive work experience on my own cars going back to the late 80s. I'd just need to know some specifics, like type of filter and oil to use, and how much oil.

The Tesla information I can find doesn't list these details. It'd be easiest to just take it in and have them do it, but some of the local SC people are starting to not like me. I can't help it I was right and their diagnosis of computer problems was WRONG. :) Plus it'd be $200-$300... damn.

Anyone know anything about the specifics? My old RWD Chrysler cars I had used the common 80w-90 gear oil, and they never had filters, but they were changed more often too.

Last edited:
A quick Google search will find you lots of discussion like the below article:

A quick Google search will find you lots of discussion like the below article:

Thanks for sharing it!

For information, all AWD Tesla models before 2019 use oil cooled rear engine systems BUT the front motor (IM) uses indirect water circuit. Since 2019, both engines have been cooling in the same way.

Back when I got my 3 LR RWD in May 2018, the standard maintenance thing was to change the differential / gearbox oil and filter at 25,000 miles. But only a month or so before I got to 25K, Tesla stopped doing that. Now they claim it's good for much longer, I forget the time or mileage numbers, but after 3 years and 70K miles, I say no. I want it changed. Unless it's synthetic oil, I just don't feel good about it being this old and with this many miles on it.

And now that I'm out of warranty due to mileage, the service center will slam me with their $175 an hour rate, plus parts. I'm capable of doing my own work, I have extensive automotive work experience on my own cars going back to the late 80s. I'd just need to know some specifics, like type of filter and oil to use, and how much oil.

The Tesla information I can find doesn't list these details. It'd be easiest to just take it in and have them do it, but some of the local SC people are starting to not like me. I can't help it I was right and their diagnosis of computer problems was WRONG. :) Plus it'd be $200-$300... damn.

Anyone know anything about the specifics? My old RWD Chrysler cars I had used the common 80w-90 gear oil, and they never had filters, but they were changed more often too.
You're upset that they want to charge $200-$300 for this service? How much money would you save doing it yourself? To top it off you're spending a lot of time researching plus a lot of time to do the job.
$200-$300 on a car that cost tens of thousands of dollars is a drop in the bucket.

You're upset that they want to charge $200-$300 for this service? How much money would you save doing it yourself? To top it off you're spending a lot of time researching plus a lot of time to do the job.
$200-$300 on a car that cost tens of thousands of dollars is a drop in the bucket.

It's not really always about the money. I like doing my own car work because I know I'm going to do it right and I'll do it with care. You'd be surprised how many shortcuts some mechanics take because it's not their car and because they're trying to knock out as many cars as possible.

Also, be chill. If the guy wants to work on his own car let him. Just because you would pay someone else to do it, which is perfectly fine, doesn't mean someone else needs to make your same decisions.

It's not really always about the money. I like doing my own car work because I know I'm going to do it right and I'll do it with care. You'd be surprised how many shortcuts some mechanics take because it's not their car and because they're trying to knock out as many cars as possible.

Also, be chill. If the guy wants to work on his own car let him. Just because you would pay someone else to do it, which is perfectly fine, doesn't mean someone else needs to make your same decisions.
Too many people don't do enough cost/benefit analysis equations in this world. Or calculate the time/value of money.

Reactions: rpiotro
I'm the same way, I used to do all of my own work on my ICE car.

You can rent the service manual straight from Tesla for 100 dollars a day

If you decide to do your own oil and filter change it would be awesome if you posted a DIY here.

It's free, you don't have to pay $100 for it. I recall a few DIYs previously posted as well.

Too many people don't do enough cost/benefit analysis equations in this world. Or calculate the time/value of money.
Doubling down I see.

Let people spend their time and money how they want, if you spend your time criticizing other people's life decisions then maybe find a hobby to fill that void. Actually, maybe that's your hobby, keep doing your thing!

Reactions: ODWms and Jclboston

I am in the same boat, plus who is to say you take it to Tesla and they actually change everything they charge you for. Seen way too many shops charge for these types of services and never touch anything.