Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Cable Fault at SuperCharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning guys!

I received a Charge Cable Fault error twice while at the Hawthorne Supercharger. This was my first time ever receiving this error. Searches seem to suggest this was a problem with home charging and potentially a loose ground. Have people encountered this at the SCs?

1. The first error in the morning forced me to quit after +70mi charge. The charge handle was almost too hot to hold. I did not try to replug it in, and decided I would come back later.
  2. At night, I returned for another charge and after another +60mi or so it quit again. It was not as warm to the touch. After moving to another station, I was able to get the +140mi to finish my charge.

-I have charged at this SC many times before without a problem
-This error was on 2 separate stations/cables (from left to right #3, and #1; #5 completed the charge)
-I had just upgraded to the most recent 5.8 (#2) update 1-2 days prior to the errors
-I had locked the door on the vehicle once the charge started (never had done that before, so thought I would mention it)
-I try to make sure the plug is seated all the way in, holding it till the charge port shows blinking green.

** Is there something I am doing that is damaging my car? Can I avoid these interruptions somehow? Is this a bug with the new software update? **

Thanks guys for any insight you might have!

When talking with Tesla, if you can isolate the time of the day that the error happened, they will be able to pull the cars logs to see which fault was detected. My personal guess would be is has something to do with your charge port, just because that would be common to the failures, but I would definitely give your service center a call and have them look into this.

Something to look into. The hot handle means there wasn't a good enough electrical connection between the plug and the car. It might not have been pushed in all the way. Sometimes, the car can lock in on a plug, even if the plug is only partially pushed in. Maybe your car charger port is developing some wiggle room that shouldn't be there.

I always make a point of giving the plug a good weight shifted shove into the car charge port when connecting anything. I've noticed that my kids will daintily and carefully slide the plug into the car which isn't good. The plug and car port are tough and rugged and require you to shove it in there with force.

We did not have severe warming or cut-off, but did have trouble seating the plug at superchargers (especially for my wife). Tesla replaced our power inlet on the car, and it has been much easier to seat since then.

More recently, we had a problem of the car failing to start supercharging at all. Power would start ramping up and then back off, then re-trying after 30 seconds or so, over and over. Tesla had to replace our high voltage junction box under the centre rear seat to fix that. Our service manager explained that early cars like ours had less robust contactors that could overheat and fail to close properly.

Please make sure the store manager at that location is aware so that the problem with that HPWC can be addressed.

I was on my way out of the mall at the time, but mentioned it when I was back at a later date. I was told "it's normal for the handle to get quite warm". IMHO it was beyond "quite warm".

- - - Updated - - -

It's supposed to get warm, but not hot. Comfortably warm. If it's hot, you need to stop, try replugging. Maybe switch chargers.

Well, I was on my way out of the mall anyway, so no need to re-plug. I did feel all around my charge port after putting the cable back and the car was cool. No noticeable heat in the area at all. I had been checking it with the app and it did reliable charge at 79 or 80 amps for the whole time I was there.

I still wonder if others haven't noticed because at home the charge cycle may have completed and the cable cooled down by the time they come out to their cars and unplug.

I still wonder if others haven't noticed because at home the charge cycle may have completed and the cable cooled down by the time they come out to their cars and unplug.

I've checked while it was still charging. The first UMC did get quite hot and I had it replaced (there was no indication of melting yet). The replacement has stayed warm but has never been hot. The electronics in the middle are actually warmer than the 14-50 end.

I've checked while it was still charging. The first UMC did get quite hot and I had it replaced (there was no indication of melting yet). The replacement has stayed warm but has never been hot. The electronics in the middle are actually warmer than the 14-50 end.

Interesting. Tesla put these in when they opened the first Toronto store, so they are likely older units. I may go back there tomorrow. With the number of Teslas around here, it's been harder to get access to it, but if I can, I'll check it out again. The mall has put in a bank of fee-based ChargePoint chargers across the aisle to address the need.

I wouldn't think that the store personnel would know anything. Calling the 877 number is the way to go.

I believe that was in reference to a HPWC at a Tesla Gallery ("Store") location, and not a supercharger. As such I don't think there is a number posted to call (my local ones don't that I've seen anyway). I'd suspect these are indeed managed by the gallery manager...

I have never used a Supercharger, and do not have a HPWC at home, but when I used one at a Tesla store I found the handle got extremely hot.
I still remain concerned about how extremely HOT the HPWC handle got and am interested in HPWC owners' experiences charging at 80 amps.
Please make sure the store manager at that location is aware so that the problem with that HPWC can be addressed.
I wouldn't think that the store personnel would know anything. Calling the 877 number is the way to go.
The store manager is partly responsible for the operation of electrical devices provided by his/her store. If he/she doesn't appropriately handle that responsibility then he/she should be replaced.