Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge HQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should probably monetise their API themselves - officially publish and support it, and start charging a fee to access it. That’s what Solcast and other companies do.
And its what Twitter is doing ;P

Are there any other 'paid' services using the Tesla APIs similar to ChargeHQ, or are they all 'free' or 'in beta'?
ie, is there any chance Tesla could go after services like ChargeHQ now using the API for commercial purposes?

And bam, officially documented secure API access. Tesla Fleet API

Temporary free ‘Discovery’ tier limits, with new tiers to come next year.

IMG_0055.jpeg

And on GitHub - GitHub - teslamotors/vehicle-command

Some developers may be familiar with Tesla's Owner API. Owner API will stop working as vehicles begin requiring end-to-end command authentication.

• Informative
Reactions: Collutio
Also a question of whether it's charged to the app, or the Tesla owner when you authorise access.

Presumably also hurts the tracking apps who I suspect do a call per minute to create their maps.
I'd say the developer pays, not the user authorising it.

Some limits are definitely per car - but the larger limit is per app I'm assuming, or maybe it's per Tesla developer account - would make sense to pay for tiers per developer account rather than by app (not per 'user' or Tesla account....).

Commands limits50 API requests / car / day

And

500k API requests / day

So you could have 10,000 cars making 50 requests a day with the current Discovery tier

Reactions: cafz and moa999

View attachment 981504

Looks like some cars are already being affected by this,
From the Charge HQ website - How will the new official third party Tesla API impact Charge HQ?

Tesla have announced that the old API will stop working on vehicles as follows:

• November 2023 -newly delivered vehicles will only support the new API
  • Nov - Dec 2023 - the old API will stop working on existing vehicles that have not used the old API in the preceding 30 days
  • January 2024 - the old API will stop working on all vehicles

The latest update from Charge HQ is "stay tuned" - though Tesla still haven't announced their future developer API tiers, at least not publicly yet - there's no suggestion of any changes to pricing charged by Charge HQ for it to do it's thing.
We are working full-time on this migration. Vehicles on which the old API has stopped working will display an error on the Charge HQ home page. We should have a solution for these vehicles next week. Stay tuned for updates.

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV

View attachment 981504

As expected, Charge HQ is (finally) kicking the early testers off of their 'free' plan, as Tesla are going to charge for API access.

Last December we migrated to Tesla's official Third Party API. Whilst this has been provided to us free of charge, it will soon become a paid service. This means we can no longer offer the service free to early adopters. At the end of June 2024, your account will automatically switch to the free plan (which does not include solar charging).

From Charge HQ - Annual Payment Option Paused for New Users

In January 2024 we migrated to Tesla’s official Third Party API. This API is becoming a paid service soon. Whilst Tesla has not released pricing (or timing) we expect it to be set at a level which requires us to alter our prices.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Why is it so expensive? is the ONLY way to control our car's charge speed via this API and TESLA is charging that much for said access? It destroys the savings I get by charging with only solar, which was the point of having the Unofficial API charge the car with solar, to save money. I had my TesSense app that did what Charge HQ did, but when the API broke I was fortunate to have the same functionality for my wife's Mitsubishi iMiev in the app via smart plugs and I just fell back to using it for the Tesla too, at 120 volts. Slow, but still solar only.

Reactions: jgleigh and cmy4x4
Yeah, I received that advice too as an early adopter. $5 a month isn't a lot, but I've a Powerwall so I'll continue to run with the Tesla Charge on Solar and see if they improve it in the meantime. I need to override it occasionally as it doesn't have the same smarts as ChargeHQ, so I may yet change my mind.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
When did the API break? The Owner API still works for me… or are you talking about some other API…
The unofficial API still has some functions that work, but charging control isn't one of them. Most apps have moved to the new Tesla API, but do they really have to pass the $5/mo on to Tesla, that seems CRAZY for accessing our own cars. I don't actually know what it costs to use the API, but I do have 6 apps that I haven't been forced to start paying for that use the new API. Just don't handle solar charging

Yeah, I received that advice too as an early adopter. $5 a month isn't a lot, but I've a Powerwall so I'll continue to run with the Tesla Charge on Solar and see if they improve it in the meantime. I need to override it occasionally as it doesn't have the same smarts as ChargeHQ, so I may yet change my mind.
It’s actually $7/ month! Shows as $5 but that’s in USD.

The unofficial API still has some functions that work, but charging control isn't one of them.

Oh OK, I haven’t tried to control the charging on my Tesla since CoS became available. Are all charging functions dead (e.g. cannot even start or stop a charge using the Owner API) or only some charging functions (e.g. varying the charge rate)?

My PW2 scripts all still work.

Tesla just needs to provide a toggle on CoS so that you can either prioritise the car charging, or the PW2 charging, then I’d have no need for my own scripts at all. At present, I manually turn CoS on only when my PW2 has filled up.

Reactions: jgleigh
The unofficial API still has some functions that work, but charging control isn't one of them. Most apps have moved to the new Tesla API, but do they really have to pass the $5/mo on to Tesla, that seems CRAZY for accessing our own cars. I don't actually know what it costs to use the API, but I do have 6 apps that I haven't been forced to start paying for that use the new API. Just don't handle solar charging
Tesla hasn't even announced API pricing yet. The developers are jumping the gun a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok