Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge limit and the battery options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this was addressed elsewhere - if so I'm sorry.

So since I've owned my Tesla the conventional wisdom is that we should not charge to 100% on a regular basis because that can cause harm to the battery. Also the common claim is that leaving the battery in a 100% state of charge is the issue not so much charging to 100% itself.

If the new 60 is just a software limited version of the 75 battery then would the charge limit apply to the 60? The claim is that the 75 has roughly 19% more range/capacity than the 60. Sooo that would imply that charging the 60 to 100% all the time is perfectly fine. And if that's the case, the range difference is less (60 at 100% gets 218 miles and a 75 at 90% might be 233).

Basically my question is why can't you charge the 60D to 100% every day if the real issue with doing that is maxing the battery capacity which you would know you weren't doing??

So since I've owned my Tesla the conventional wisdom is that we should not charge to 100% on a regular basis because that can cause harm to the battery. Also the common claim is that leaving the battery in a 100% state of charge is the issue not so much charging to 100% itself.
this is not correct. charging to 100% isn't the worst thing that can be done, letting the car sit at 100% is not good for the battery. if you don't need the range afforded by charging to 100% you'd be better served by charging to 90%. if you need that extra range on a daily basis maybe the 60 isn't the right sized battery for you. bear in mind that according to the new info coming from tesla, charging the 60 to 100% isn't going to affect your battery the way charging to 100% would affect the other battery sized cars.

Last edited:

If the new 60 is just a software limited version of the 75 battery then would the charge limit apply to the 60? The claim is that the 75 has roughly 19% more range/capacity than the 60. Sooo that would imply that charging the 60 to 100% all the time is perfectly fine. And if that's the case, the range difference is less (60 at 100% gets 218 miles and a 75 at 90% might be 233).

Basically my question is why can't you charge the 60D to 100% every day if the real issue with doing that is maxing the battery capacity which you would know you weren't doing??

Good question. I don't know if 100% means some of the individual batteries all to 100% or if it means all of the batteries until the total is 60 kWh. I would imagine that the easiest software thing to do would just be to charge all of the batteries until it gets to the purchased limit. That would also seem to make sense from a chemical point of view. Equally use all of the installed batteries.

But I'm not sure it really matters. The top limit matters when you are going on a long trip. And in that situation the difference is real. I have an 85kwh. But with my 40 mile daily drive, I could have a 15 kWh battery and get by on a daily basis.

Good question. I don't know if 100% means some of the individual batteries all to 100% or if it means all of the batteries until the total is 60 kWh.
Because there is an upgrade possibility at any time--even several years down the road--it would make sense to keep all the battery modules at the same level, so I'd vote for all the cells being used but the pack limit is 60 kWh. Assuming this is the case, charging to 100% should be fine. Note that this is an assumption based on a SWAG.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jason Shelton
Because there is an upgrade possibility at any time--even several years down the road--it would make sense to keep all the battery modules at the same level, so I'd vote for all the cells being used but the pack limit is 60 kWh. Assuming this is the case, charging to 100% should be fine. Note that this is an assumption based on a SWAG.

Agree, we'll be able to verify this finally when someone gets a 60, and they charge to 100%. Based on the speed/amps at 99-100% we'll know if those cells are being fully used or just partial (which most hope for). Should be able to tell as well based on what the 70/75s are doing but don't know many of those out there yet.