Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port will not unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

I tried to charge my car but the charger would not go in no matter what I tried. I only charge at home, super charger or at work with my adaptor. The adaptor seems to go in when I tried it but of course I can’t use my home charger with it.

I also can’t get the UI to unlock the port after its opened it. Open and close seems to work fine. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I did notice that one of the black caps in the charge port is missing. Could that be it? Anyone had to deal with that before?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7FC2A23C-175F-4E49-845D-2447B6891022.jpeg
    7FC2A23C-175F-4E49-845D-2447B6891022.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 140
Hi everyone.

I tried to charge my car but the charger would not go in no matter what I tried. I only charge at home, super charger or at work with my adaptor. The adaptor seems to go in when I tried it but of course I can’t use my home charger with it.

I also can’t get the UI to unlock the port after its opened it. Open and close seems to work fine. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? I did notice that one of the black caps in the charge port is missing. Could that be it? Anyone had to deal with that before?

Thanks in advance.

Hrm, your charge port is damaged. Take it in for service!

If you need to limp along you might be able to figure out what is binding/stuck. Perhaps that plastic came off in your adapter and so it may only work with that adapter?

Carefully inspect the charge port and adapter and your home connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance.

I think (though not 100% sure) that there is something ADDITIONAL, not missing. There is a very sad charging handle out there somewhere - or possibly the metal sleeve of your J-1772 adapter has become stuck to your charge port. (100% sure now this is what happened - since you can use your adapter - your adapter has left the metal bit on your charge port. First time I have seen this, but they do melt occasionally so presumably some are defective with bad/loose connections - sounds like yours was.)

I think it might be safe to remove, but personally I would try to use a voltmeter to make sure, first. But not sure where I would place the other terminal of the meter. I would use non-conductive gloves for sure. Or just take it to Tesla. Whatever floats your boat! Just keep in mind it could be hot (400V! Unlikely but with electrical it is best to not assume). So Tesla would be the prudent choice.

Attached is a picture (credit RPM Tesla FWIW since currently no access to my car - first image I found that captured a reasonably clear view) of what it should look like - minus carbon fiber - so there is definitely a bonus piece on your charge port.

A6F528F7-F71E-4A27-BCE4-DFF86B8F2F53.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx
Sorry, I just want to ask questions that may be related to the charger port:

I charged my car today at Tesla Super Charger Embassy Suit Hotel in Milpitas, CA. After starting about 30 seconds, the charging current dropped to zero and the screen displayed a message telling the car "need to be serviced". I changed the station and tried again then the problem gone. Does any body have same experience? My car is less than 1000 miles.

The other question I have is that the standard "Mobile Connector" coming with the Model 3 is Gen 2 ? I want to buy an adapter (NEMA 10-30) and to make sure I buy the correct one.

Thank you

Clark

After starting about 30 seconds, the charging current dropped to zero and the screen displayed a message telling the car "need to be serviced". I changed the station and tried again then the problem gone. Does any body have same experience?
It happened once in Birmingham AL but I had to 'stretch' the cable. Regardless, I changed to another station and no problem and shared the problem with Tesla.

Bob Wilson

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance.

It looks to me like it isn't a black cap that's missing, but rather a silver conductive cap that has been >added<. Perhaps a gentle pull with a pair of pliers would remove it.