Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate at home keeps resetting to max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using off-peak and scheduled departure
aka, the Tesla owner’s version of “doctor, it hurts when I do this.”

You know how you fix that pain, don’t you? Don’t do that.

This forum is riddled with people complaining about problems with scheduled departure/off peak. You know what no one complains about? Setting a start time with scheduled charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am very glad my scheduled charge fits neatly inside my off peak tariff window.

For those not in the know, which was me until I nutted it recently .. when it says "change to Scheduled Departure / Sheduled Charging" it means toggle between the menus, you get to do both a departure and charge start.

Take your battery capacity and percentage boost required and divide by your kWh/hr charge rate then add 15 percent for the number of hours required.

You can wrangle the slowdown adjustment figures for going over 80% better than I can with no experience of that.

This forum is riddled with people complaining about problems with scheduled departure/off peak. You know what no one complains about? Setting a start time with scheduled charging.
I have used scheduled departure from the very beginning, for over a year now, almost exclusively. It always works for me. Seems easier and potentially less error prone than calculating the required start time every day. I think most people who have problems with it probably don't fully understand how it works.
And I am doing the same thing as the OP, using 36A as the charge rate so I can crank it up a little should I decide to leave early.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and gtae07

What "pain"? Like @flixden says it never causes problems for me. If I set the wrong charge target, I set the wrong target and that's on me regardless of when the charge started or stopped. It's always worked right from day 1, probably because I use it like it's intended (times are set for morning, plug in in the evening). I head out so early most days (typically about 0445) that "have to leave earlier today" is usually only by 30 minutes or so.

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex and Rocky_H
You're assuming I use scheduled charging. But it would not, because I'm using off-peak and scheduled departure. The car starts charging whenever it decides it needs to in order to finish charging at the specified time, and I generally aim for that to be the time I'm leaving. Whether it's at 32A or 48A, it's still going to finish charging (typically to 55% most days) at the same time, because the start time was automatically changed to get the desired end result.

But let's say I realize I need to leave a little earlier, or that I need a few more percent for the day If it's already maxed out, there's nothing I can do to speed it up (get to the same charge level sooner) or get more juice in the same amount of time. At a base setting of 32A, I can crank it up and get more juice or finish a little faster. It may not be by much, but it can and has helped bail me out when I forgot to set things up right the night before, or plans changed at the last minute.

Schedule Charging was not designed for Savannah. It was designed for northern, cold climates to have the battery warmed up and take the hit to warm up the battery from AC as opposed to the battery and reduce range.

If you have a time of day rate, then that's what the other setting is designed for. And if you don't have ToD rates, don't use them!

Think about what you are saying. "If this" then I can do this.

I plug in, don't have any setting set (I'm not on a ToD rate) and I have no ifs. The cars are charged ASAP. It doesn't hurt the battery, it doesn't hurt the wiring, it's doing exactly as designed.
If I need to leave early, no problems, fully charged cars sit in the garage.

Reducing the charging rate, WILL slightly increase your cost, because the vehicle has to stay awake longer and the phantom use builds up.

• Disagree
Reactions: gtae07
Schedule Charging was not designed for Savannah. It was designed for northern, cold climates to have the battery warmed up and take the hit to warm up the battery from AC as opposed to the battery and reduce range.

If you have a time of day rate, then that's what the other setting is designed for. And if you don't have ToD rates, don't use them!

Think about what you are saying. "If this" then I can do this.

I plug in, don't have any setting set (I'm not on a ToD rate) and I have no ifs. The cars are charged ASAP. It doesn't hurt the battery, it doesn't hurt the wiring, it's doing exactly as designed.
If I need to leave early, no problems, fully charged cars sit in the garage.

Reducing the charging rate, WILL slightly increase your cost, because the vehicle has to stay awake longer and the phantom use builds up.
There were tests done that showed 36A as being the optimum. Don't have the link, you can search here.
There are more factors that play into it than just the car being awake.

Reactions: gtae07
Something else going on, especially with the Tesla Wall Connector, is that you need to configure it after installation. If you specify the amperage of the circuit it is installed on, it will automatically set a maximum and it doesn’t matter what you do with your car. And so you need not worry about reducing the maximum charge rate in the car.

Something else going on, especially with the Tesla Wall Connector, is that you need to configure it after installation. If you specify the amperage of the circuit it is installed on, it will automatically set a maximum and it doesn’t matter what you do with your car. And so you need not worry about reducing the maximum charge rate in the car.
It is configured, correctly, for 48A, with a 60A breaker and 4/3 NM-B wire (which was easier to run the 4 feet inside the garage wall).

I just choose not to run it at full blast all the time when I don't need to.

It is configured, correctly, for 48A, with a 60A breaker and 4/3 NM-B wire (which was easier to run the 4 feet inside the garage wall).

I just choose not to run it at full blast all the time when I don't need to.

Got it. Not sure if it’s been said, but it’s better for your electric bill and your battery to charge at the highest supported amperage. Discussed at length elsewhere.