Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That proposed 45k cap on the 5k rebate eliminates most of the current ev's that are not base models or tiny (bolts).
If you want AWD from any of the manufacturers they are all over 45k.

At best right now i could save 2k and that assumes my pre-july 1 order counts for the rebate, otherwise it goes down to 1400 if i need to re-order and probably less with more expected prices increases coming due to the increasing costs of steel/chips/etc.

Disappointing, but I guess that helps Tesla avoid the NJ game playing many of us were looking to do. If they raise prices this Thursday and two Thursday's from then, it won't be worth it to cancel and reorder. I may even add FSD to save on the sales tax, which was a $700 additional expense I wa willing to eat to keep the car under $55k for the $5k rebate.

I can’t see them changing their mind since they’ve already got this proposal done. Looks like their intention is to reduce the ability for Tesla owners to claim the full rebate bcs they are trying to get more diversity in the marketplace. After all this, I’m just glad I ordered early and don’t need to worry anymore about getting a June 30/July 1 delivery to be elligible. 2k is no longer worth the wait for me.

I can’t see them changing their mind since they’ve already got this proposal done. Looks like their intention is to reduce the ability for Tesla owners to claim the full rebate bcs they are trying to get more diversity in the marketplace. After all this, I’m just glad I ordered early and don’t need to worry anymore about getting a June 30/July 1 delivery to be elligible. 2k is no longer worth the wait for me.
Yeah but that won't work because there are no alternatives that match the new criteria from the program. I do not believe the alternatives from the 45-55K range can see sales increase due to the incentives. 90% of EVs sold in NJ are Tesla. That was before the incentives and stayed true in P1. I do not believe the price range change to have a measurable impact whatsoever on the sales figures.

They aren't on the roads because the dealers don't have any incentives to sell them. Lowering the price point, especially at dealers (rather than a "store" a la Tesla) will not incentivise them to increase their inventory. It's a vicious circle where dealership don't stock them because people aren't buying and people aren't buying because there are not stock. I think that even at the Kia/Hyundai price points, people would still choose the Tesla over those in most cases because at that price point it's a much better car.

If there were 30K EVs with 200+ mi range and the 5K took them down to 25 I believe that would make a difference. But the market is not there yet IMO.

Between you and me I'd rather they make it retroactive 😛 That's possible a good idea though.
I will be surprised if they declare Tesla reservations made before July 1 make the cars ineligible, but you never know.

It sounds like the purpose of this meeting is to get feedback on the proposal changes from those who stand to benefit from it (stakeholders). If we are the stakeholders we should all submit written opinions that indicate we were depending on this program to help pay for an EV and request that the 45k limit not be adopted in the final proposal.

I mean I am reading the document again and it is pretty clear that their mind is NOT made up and they are explicitly requesting comments on the 45K cap + 2K and the flat 1K top PHEV.

My personal take on it is that:

on the EVs: While we recognize the intent to encourage diversity in the EV choices to consumers, the reality is that there is no credible alternative offering as the legacy builders are still playing catch up with the leader(s). We also recognize that a 55K sales price qualifies as a luxury vehicle but the reality is that the EVs in that price range compared to equivalently priced ICE vehicles simply do not compare in the luxury category. The price difference accounts more for the significant EV range improvement compared to lower price point EV but still share mid-tier "luxury" options more than the same price luxury equivalent. As a result, it is not clear that the proposed modification would have any beneficial impact on the modifications' objectives.

on the PHEV: The only advantage of PHEV compared to EVs is the price point. We are doubtful that the decision to buy a PHEV is about transitioning from ICE to EV more than being a pure economical and personal consideration. In the PHEV price range, you either have an absence of EVs alternatives (ex large SUVs and larger vehicles or sub 30K price point offering). That being said, we strongly believe that on a dollar to dollar equivalent, favoris BEVs at the expense of PHEV is a net better outcome and certainly better transition toward full electrification of personal transportation. Skipping the PHEV step is probably better.

Reactions: hakunamattata
I already submit my written statement that there are very few sub 45k vehicles on lots right now, and while the base price of an ID4 or MachE technically is below, not a single dealer has ordered, or can order one.

I also emphatically said without the 5k, I will not buy an EV, and my leased car is due back 7/5.