Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One comment the presenter made was that the dealer enrollment will begin at least 3 weeks prior to the program start. Enrollment has not started yet, but there will be an announcement when it does, and I suspect the announcement will contain the program start date.

So first we have to wait for Enrollment start, then at least 3 weeks additional, so definitely not 7/1.

Reactions: ParkinNJ
This email just got sent out, it’s for dealerships who need to enroll themselves into the Charge Up program and be able to offer the rebate. Good sign that this could be happening soon!View attachment 673942

so the email went out for dealers to start enrolling.... based on the presenter giving dealers at least 3 weeks time before program start date, that puts us around 7/7. I WILL TAKE IT!

Oh, I missed that. Yes, the email I received today with the link to the recorded webinar does indeed indicate Dealer Enrollment has begun. I don't see a start date though. All we know is at least 3 weeks from today I guess.

Perhaps our local Tesla dealers will know (if they have enrolled that is).

Last edited:
The webinar just confirmed it.
It appears that this webinar was occurred (presenter indicated stake holder meeting is scheduled and May 27 - June 2nd dates were on bottom of screen) prior to Stake Holder Meeting on May 27th. Purchase/lease Date and not order date is confirmed; incentive amount could change based on final appropriation which should happen this month.

I am looking to purchase Tesla MY for last 2-3 years however not able to justify few things. Lets's see if you can poke a hole in my logic / reasoning.
1) Tesla removed radar / lidar due to supply constraints and trying spin it as if tesla vision is just as good. I smell a rat here and i don't like to be scapegoat for trying it out.
2) Once Texas MY starts rolling out with new battery pack and 500+ miles, existing MY will depreciate quickly and become less desirable.
3) RAV4 prime SE value is undeniable even including sales tax it is going to be around 37-38K and i don't know any one who regret buying a Toyota.
4) getting a Toyota reliability and 7500 tax credit sounds like no brainer to me and all the benefit of city EV driving in city and hybrid for long distance driving in the same car makes the case even more compelling.
5) Ground clearance for MY is around 6 inches and it feels more like car than SUV. MY drive amazing though no denying that and tech is certainly second to none. but weight of evidence and numbers are pointing towards Toyota and not Tesla at least for me.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Interesting analysis. I previously owned a 2021 Toyota Prius Prime Limited, and before that a regular 2010 Prius (which I still own and it has 240K miles on it and going strong). Toyota makes an excellent automobile in my opinion, and I can definitely see the value in the RAV4 Prime, but it just doesn't have enough range in my opinion.

The reason I sold my new 2021 Prius Prime after just 2 months is because I found liked the EV drive so much I never wanted the regular gas engine (ICE) to kick in. The Prius was an amazing car otherwise, but only got 25 miles of EV driving per charge, and this was too little. If I could have gotten the Prime with a larger battery I would not be buying a Model Y.

Now the RAV4 Prime has a little more EV range (42 miles) but still not enough for me since my daily commute is 100 miles.

Seriously, there are so many great things about the Toyota that I will miss because they are just not available in the Tesla. It really just came down to the EV range for me. Once I started looking for either a hybrid with longer EV range or a BEV I came to realize that there are really only a few choices I would consider. The 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV of course, the VW ID.4, the Ford Mustang MachE, and the Hyundai. In my opinion the Tesla beats all of these and is not much more expensive, so I decided to go with the MY and just live with the missing features.

If you can live with 42 miles of EV range most days, I see nothing wrong with the RAV4 Prime. In a few years EVs will be better and cheaper. You could always switch then.

There's no denying the price value with the RAV4 Prime with the NJ EV rebate and Federal tax credit as long as it meets your needs. Like @rjpjnk, the 40+ mile EV range is not enough to justify the purchase for us. I have a 150 round-trip commute so if I'm going electric, I need something that can handle the commute plus have enough extra 'buffer' for winter battery drain and the 80%-90% charge. I struggled with the MY, MachE, and XC40 recharge; but decided on the MY just on personal styling, EV range, and cargo capacity.

2) Once Texas MY starts rolling out with new battery pack and 500+ miles, existing MY will depreciate quickly and become less desirable.
It's to my belief that this roll out to +500 will take 4-6 years.
I don't believe Tesla's goal is to have cars hit 500+ miles but enable the masses to drive EV at an affordable price while avoiding range anxiety.
When these new battery packs roll out, it'll still be a costly bill to pay to get the newest model/w new battery and it will probably be costly till most of Tesla's giga factories are up and running to his operation designs so they can mass produce for a lot less. Keep in mind, new tech is always the most expensive tech.

I believe once Tesla hits the 400+ range EV, they'll aim to work on major price reductions and operation inefficiencies and restructure how each giga plant should work to maximize the savings to consumers.

My 2 pennies.

Proof in the fact we are all here talking and with a MY on or near order. Or in the garage.
Tesla is light years ahead in performance and range than the "other" car dealers. Those other mfrs tried to quick path cheat by adding smaller wheels, some trim deco and making the price larger than ever, then calling it a hybrid. Those cars are slow and still need gas. I hate going to the gas station, and I don't drive or miss at all our other gas SUV any more.
Tesla wins with the MY, and Musk is going for it. For our family, this is the first American car in over 30 years. Love our MY.