Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did everything except uploading proof of insurance on April 1st.
Going to meet the dealer for the first time tomorrow at 6pm and will take a Model Y for test drive until Monday 10am.
So I have all day Sunday to see if I like it. I really appreciate having so much time to look it over while I'm only on the hook for 100 dollars yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
For you guys timing the July 1 date, did you go through the "Prepare for Delivery" page where you enter Registration, Trade In and Payment Info" page, or did you hold off on doing that?
What I did was upload my license but I did not fill the trade-in and financials. Although after 72 hours, it got auto filled with default values (no trade-in + cash payment). I am at the insurance step. Still not sure if I will finance on my own or through Tesla. I though Tesla could lock for 90 days but last I checked the website it says 60 so a bit early still for me to kick this off. My delivery dates have been very steady since I placed my order. Was June 7th to 30th for the first week or so then moved to May 30th to june 20th for a while and then move 1 day early from May 29th to June 18th and has been frozen like that for a while. Based on the LR AWD waiting room, my dates are MUCH steadier than most. My bank appointment for financing is June 1st but I could always request online if my delivery date end up being earlier than June 2nd/3rd.

Reactions: rjpjnk
For what it is worth, I stopped by the Paramus, NJ Tesla Store yesterday to ask about delaying delivery past 7/1. The SA I spoke with is aware of the issue and said that once a VIN is assigned I could just refuse that one and ask to be assigned to another one. He does not think that I would be pushed back to the end of the queue for a car, nor would I be subject to current pricing. All good news - assuming he is correct.

For what it is worth, I stopped by the Paramus, NJ Tesla Store yesterday to ask about delaying delivery past 7/1. The SA I spoke with is aware of the issue and said that once a VIN is assigned I could just refuse that one and ask to be assigned to another one. He does not think that I would be pushed back to the end of the queue for a car, nor would I be subject to current pricing. All good news - assuming he is correct.
But you need to place your order after July 1st to be eligible so the "deal" with the SA has to be to do the reorder as you take delivery which means you need to pay the price increase as well and risk going back in queue if your delivered vehicle gets snatched while you fudge the ordering dates. Since Q2 is overbooked, "going back in queue" means next quarter. I think it's unlikely there will be a vehicle left to deliver between July 1st and end of september.

But you need to place your order after July 1st to be eligible so the "deal" with the SA has to be to do the reorder as you take delivery which means you need to pay the price increase as well and risk going back in queue if your delivered vehicle gets snatched while you fudge the ordering dates. Since Q2 is overbooked, "going back in queue" means next quarter. I think it's unlikely there will be a vehicle left to deliver between July 1st and end of september.
Incorrect. You just have to take delivery after July 1. The law says nothing about when you order, just when you purchase. And you don't purchase when you enter your order.

I don't think sroy is correct. From what others have said, you need to "purchase" the car after 7/1. Ordering it before 7/1 and taking delivery (and purchasing) the car after 7/1 appears to work to get the "deal."
I thought that was the case but another member called and emailed the chargeup NJ people and that's what they said AND on the website there is a new entry in FAQ that specificies that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.52.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.52.03 PM.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 96
It is confusing, I'll admit. If they don't apply the 5K POS rebate to those who ordered in Q2 and purchased in Q3 there are going to be a lot of cars released back into the pool from those of us who cancel and repurchase I suppose.

I thought that was the case but another member called and emailed the chargeup NJ people and that's what they said AND on the website there is a new entry in FAQ that specificies that.
I assume the faq was to address the cases ordered after dec2020. Last faq just mentions purchase or lease date

i have a question on price. It says msrp < 55k.
I just ordered and car price is 53.5k + 1200 doc fee and then 380 registration/title fee which makes it marginally more than the limit. Am I still qualified or car price is what matters?

I assume the faq was to address the cases ordered after dec2020. Last faq just mentions purchase or lease date

i have a question on price. It says msrp < 55k.
I just ordered and car price is 53.5k + 1200 doc fee and then 380 registration/title fee which makes it marginally more than the limit. Am I still qualified or car price is what matters?
I screened shot that today. I think it is up to date. I do wish/wishfully think that Tesla could apply it for orders before july 1st delivered after but given their sales figures for Q2 they don’t need it unfortunately for us. I budgeted without and I am at a point where I’d rather get the car asap but wouldn’t say no to a 5k handout.

I screened shot that today. I think it is up to date. I do wish/wishfully think that Tesla could apply it for orders before july 1st delivered after but given their sales figures for Q2 they don’t need it unfortunately for us. I budgeted without and I am at a point where I’d rather get the car asap but wouldn’t say no to a 5k handout.
Sorry for the confusion I meant last faq on the site, it doesn’t include order date.

Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.

Sorry for the confusion I meant last faq on the site, it doesn’t include order date.

Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.
I am not sure what we are confused about. The FAQ page of the charge up NJ program has one item that specifies that cars ordered before July 1st are not eligible which I screened shot today.

it's the 3rd last item in the FAQ (3rd item second column on desktop browser) which is another item from the one you are quoting.

I ordered, purchased, or leased my vehicle between December 15, 2020 - Summer 2021. Will I be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive?
Due to a lack of funding, vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased after the deadline of December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of sale program in Summer 2021 will not be eligible for an incentive.

The second and last faq does not mention order date. I assume order date was honored last year due to short notice on program ending on dec 15 2020.
I don't think we get to cherry-pick the FAQ based on what suits us I think it's a package deal. I mean, I placed my order on April 15th believing, like you, that we can get the rebate if delivered on/after July 1st but It always was my understanding that I might have to pay the 100$ (now 1600$) to cancel and reorder if delivered close enough to July 1st to be eligible and that if I had to cancel a too early delivery I would be back in the queue (meaning looking at a sept delivery).

I am still hoping that Tesla can voluntarily delay their deliveries "magically" on July first and that having ordered before is not a factor. I know they did exactly that in other states/countries to have their customers benefit from a rebate. But that was at a time where they were not sold out for the quarter halfway through. But if it's the "cancel and reorder" I am already at a point where getting it without the rebate makes more sense for my situation.