Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure what we are confused about. The FAQ page of the charge up NJ program has one item that specifies that cars ordered before July 1st are not eligible which I screened shot today.

it's the 3rd last item in the FAQ (3rd item second column on desktop browser) which is another item from the one you are quoting.
Doesn’t this same program say that for cars ordered online like Tesla it is based on registration date somewhere? Hard to know which cherries to pick here 🤪

Here. From their Terms and Conditions doc for last year:

b. A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle
registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease.

Last edited:
This is contradicted by the last FAQ which states -
Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.

I think the word 'order' in the other FAQ is incorrect. Still, I guess it depends upon how Tesla interprets it, since they have the administer the program.

Reactions: rjpjnk
This is contradicted by the last FAQ which states -
Which date will my purchase or lease agreement need to start on to be eligible for the point- of-sale program?
Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Please continue to check our website for further updates.

I think the word 'order' in the other FAQ is incorrect. Still, I guess it depends upon how Tesla interprets it, since they have the administer the program.
It is not in contradiction; Example: car A gets ordered July 3rd and purchased on September 20th. car B ordered April 15th and purchased on July 15th. I don't think it says "all vehicles purchased...". It kinda says "the subset of vehicles purchased after July 1st AND ordered after July 1st..."

The dealerships will implement the program and the state will dictate to them what they need to do to get the rebate. I am guessing, the dealership has to absorb the rebate until the state hand it over to them either in the form of cashback, or more likely, as a tax break. Or a mix of both. They will most likely have to provide documents to be eligible themselves. And while Tesla is the only exception, we can't know how it will go until it is actually implemented. Until I heard of the Q2 sales figures from Tesla, I was assuming they would have some leverage over the state to have the rebate applying to their Q2 sales figures. But Tesla don't need those sales so it's up the the state IMO.

I have argued in this thread that the goal of the program is to amplify the number of EV miles driven which means encouraging sales of the M3 LR first and the other M3 and MY second (with Mach-E thrown in). This is all speculation on my part. Also not sure for this program but the commercial one (for business trucks - mostly deliveries) I understood that they plan to spend the same money twice as fast, doubling the number of eligible vehicles.

I also don't expect the rebate to be stackable with the federal rebate (which as of right now does not apply to Tesla but all other EVs)

All speculation on my part.

Vehicles purchased or leased on or after July 1, 2021 will be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships.
It is difficult for me to interpret this as anything other than a statement referring to all vehicles. Though I suppose logically it is ambiguous, but it would be a real abuse of English for this statement to only mean “some vehicles”. Anyway, just having fun here.

Guess I’m out 100 bucks. I would rather wait for September then. I’d rather be out 100 plus price increases than lose out on the car incentive. Plus like others said, cars just keep getting better so by then we may get more improvements added on. Hopefully some air suspension

Reactions: rjpjnk
It is not in contradiction; Example: car A gets ordered July 3rd and purchased on September 20th. car B ordered April 15th and purchased on July 15th. I don't think it says "all vehicles purchased...". It kinda says "the subset of vehicles purchased after July 1st AND ordered after July 1st..."

The dealerships will implement the program and the state will dictate to them what they need to do to get the rebate. I am guessing, the dealership has to absorb the rebate until the state hand it over to them either in the form of cashback, or more likely, as a tax break. Or a mix of both. They will most likely have to provide documents to be eligible themselves. And while Tesla is the only exception, we can't know how it will go until it is actually implemented. Until I heard of the Q2 sales figures from Tesla, I was assuming they would have some leverage over the state to have the rebate applying to their Q2 sales figures. But Tesla don't need those sales so it's up the the state IMO.

I have argued in this thread that the goal of the program is to amplify the number of EV miles driven which means encouraging sales of the M3 LR first and the other M3 and MY second (with Mach-E thrown in). This is all speculation on my part. Also not sure for this program but the commercial one (for business trucks - mostly deliveries) I understood that they plan to spend the same money twice as fast, doubling the number of eligible vehicles.

I also don't expect the rebate to be stackable with the federal rebate (which as of right now does not apply to Tesla but all other EVs)

All speculation on my part.
Yeah I totally get your point. I’m still hopeful but my gut is telling me Tesla won’t even start applying discounts until they know how the government will be giving them money back (late Q3?). Btw did the MY LR price increase yet again?? Some people may end up getting priced out of the discount if they have to reorder now (myself included).

Another question: is participating in the program mandatory for dealers in NJ? Doesn’t seem like Tesla needs help selling cars at the current price point so what’s stopping them from not applying the discount at all until demand drops a bit?

I don’t think it’s mandatory. Last I checked, 90% of vehicles sold in NJ were Tesla so it feels to me the state needs Tesla to meet their objectives. I don’t think Tesla would be against giving free money to their customers.

You are absolutely right with last year's verbiage, it was all crazy due to COVID. They put that statement around Dec 16th, 2020 if I am not mistaken. The statement was put in place because they stopped the program with a day or two notice and everyone was going crazy over that announcement. Also the end to end to timeframe i.e. to get the check in hand is more than 200 days for people who ordered between December 1st to December 15th.

I am hoping since they had some time to work out all the kinks and it is going to be point of sale so the process will be much smoother.

Doesn’t this same program say that for cars ordered online like Tesla it is based on registration date somewhere? Hard to know which cherries to pick here 🤪

Here. From their Terms and Conditions doc for last year:

b. A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle
registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease.

Another question: is participating in the program mandatory for dealers in NJ? Doesn’t seem like Tesla needs help selling cars at the current price point so what’s stopping them from not applying the discount at all until demand drops a bit?
Just my opinion here, but my understanding is yes. It is absolutely mandatory. Reason being, it has nothing to do with Tesla or any other car dealer. It is a NJ initiative totally funded by NJ money to give to NJ car buyers. The only reason Tesla is even involved at all is that it is Point Of Sale this time, meaning that somehow the 5K from the NJ government has to appear on the invoice at the dealer.

I'm hoping the Model Y SR/RWD comes out but highly doubt it will. Do you think it's worth risk waiting until end of 2021 to get the order in to get the 5K$? Or is it first come first serve once it starts on July 1st?
Based on the first year it’s first come first serve. It took 11 mo in phase 1 to run out. I am guessing phase 2 will run out quicker because there is more awareness and it also pays those who are eligible from phase 1 and were promised the check and need to wait phase 2 to get it.

Last year was first come first served until the money ran out. My guess is same this year unless they lower the amount so it lasts longer.
Based on yearly sales volume I don't think it would make much sense to reduce the amount. Unless we're on the verge of a breakout. If the program grats the full amount on each sale, it's 6000 cars. I don't think there is 6000 EVs sold a year in NJ. So the hybrids probably make the difference and they already get a small number (more like $500). Might make more sense to cancel the hybrids instead.

Based on the first year it’s first come first serve. It took 11 mo in phase 1 to run out. I am guessing phase 2 will run out quicker because there is more awareness and it also pays those who are eligible from phase 1 and were promised the check and need to wait phase 2 to get it.
Thanks, do you think this program will continue until 2022, 2023? If so, I can wait a few years when the 4680 batteries come out. hopefully. Although the rebate is nice -5K$ with no sales tax, 46K$ still seems like a lot of money to drop. I'm used to buy used cars for around 20-25K$

Has anyone recently placed an order for the Tesla M3 and hoping they will get the tax credit? I just saw the delivery date change to 5-12 weeks and not sure if I should wait to place my order on July 1st or do it now and pick up first week in July.

Thanks, do you think this program will continue until 2022, 2023? If so, I can wait a few years when the 4680 batteries come out. hopefully. Although the rebate is nice -5K$ with no sales tax, 46K$ still seems like a lot of money to drop. I'm used to buy used cars for around 20-25K$
It is a 330M project over 10 years @33M a year but the commercial counterpart switched gear to spend their budget over 5 instead. Wouldn’t surprise me that they do the same for the private ev program. I would not wait for the 4680. Anything more than 2 years out is “never” or “forever in 2 years”.