Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged with CA plug finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can safely cut the bottom pin off the 14-50 adapter. It is an unused neutral pin, (no electrical connection inside the adapter) and this is the only difference between a 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60, so once removed it'll now fit all 3 outlets. Just be sure you dial your amps down to 24 if you are using a 14-30 to avoid overloading the circuit.

can safely cut the bottom pin off the 14-30 adapter to make it more universal?

14-30_individual_1104937-00-B_0.png

can safely cut the bottom pin off the 14-30 adapter to make it more universal?
Yes, and I have done exactly that with my 14-30. The purpose was because I had some 3rd party adapter pigtails of 30A outlet types, like TT-30 and 10-30 but they switch to a 14-50 receptacle. To not overdraw accidentally, I did not want to use my 14-50 plug. The Tesla 14-30 with the neutral cut off lets it plug in there and set the current correctly.

Information: You can do that for plugs that do have two voltage pins and a ground AND a neutral. The Tesla UMC is only using those first three. But for other ones, like 10-30, it just has Hot1, Hot2, and neutral. Don't cut that one! 10-30 outlets are cheating and trying to have that neutral pull double duty as a ground also, and so the UMC uses it that way.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Yes, and I have done exactly that with my 14-30. The purpose was because I had some 3rd party adapter pigtails of 30A outlet types, like TT-30 and 10-30 but they switch to a 14-50 receptacle. To not overdraw accidentally, I did not want to use my 14-50 plug. The Tesla 14-30 with the neutral cut off lets it plug in there and set the current correctly.

Information: You can do that for plugs that do have two voltage pins and a ground AND a neutral. The Tesla UMC is only using those first three. But for other ones, like 10-30, it just has Hot1, Hot2, and neutral. Don't cut that one! 10-30 outlets are cheating and trying to have that neutral pull double duty as a ground also, and so the UMC uses it that way.

I agree. From a safety perspective i'd do that to 14-30 UMC adapter vs 14-50 so I don't have to worry about dialing down the amps. The other way is better for more amps.

Can i break it off with pliers or is sawing recommended?