Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland 50kw CCS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won’t bore you with a blow by blow account of our two weeks in Skye, but I thought it worth posting about my experiences with the CPS chargers.

My first stop was at the Glencoe Mountain Resort. Beautiful scenery, and a nice cafe (in a Portacabin after the fire last year). The charger started nicely, but after about three minutes it cut out, and I couldn’t restart it. I tried the emergency stop button, thinking that might reboot it, but still nothing. I tried ringing CPS, but gave up after 20 minutes in the queue!

View attachment 590223

So off we went to Fort William to check out the new Superchargers. Another Model 3 was already on the CPS charger next door. So no charge here either.

We finally got a charge at the new CPS rapid at the old Skye Bridge Toll Office, arriving with 17%.

View attachment 590224

Today we had a drive to Portree, and I thought I’d see what state the charger was in. It has been out of action for weeks while they appear to be working on drainage. It’s currently the only CPS charger with a free car wash dip.

View attachment 590225

On our way “home” we went to the new CPS rapid in Dunvegan car park. It started at 36kW at 13%, and once it had warmed up the battery it was pulling 49kW. We left at 95%.

View attachment 590226

great photos and hope you had a great time in Skye..I was there just before you and had fabulous weather..Roll on the completion of Fort William and Inverness Superchargers .Loads of people chatted about the car in stopping places.One couple who actually owned a Tesla but chose not to drive it ,and they were in an ICE , were lovely and asked how the journey had been from Oxfordshire .Best wishes.

Yesterday we used the new-ish CPS Rapid at An Crubh, on the Sleat Peninsula. It’s in a car park next to a small shop and (closed) cafe, right in the middle of nowhere.

EBE3E0A7-6E07-49D2-B512-BD42A4CA0755.jpeg

Yesterday we used the new-ish CPS Rapid at An Crubh, on the Sleat Peninsula. It’s in a car park next to a small shop and (closed) cafe, right in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 593682

CYC info says £1 minimum charge and £1 connection charge plus 25p per kWh. The kWh rate is reasonable but is that £1 connection charge in addition to the minimum spend?

Reactions: Roy W.
CYC info says £1 minimum charge and £1 connection charge plus 25p per kWh. The kWh rate is reasonable but is that £1 connection charge in addition to the minimum spend?
I added about 10kWh and was charged £3.50, so £1 connection plus 25p per kWh.

I really don’t mind paying for a charge if the unit works and is reasonably quick.

Some of the CPS chargers really do cut the mustard in more remote locations too. We also had a useful CCS charge in Arisaig, which was surprisingly free. Nice to see Fort Bill now on the in Car Navigation, would be interesting to know if preconditioning gets a higher rate than the 30kw we had.

Inverurie 50kW CCS Burn Lane appears to be working again for Model 3s I got 50% there today with no problems. Last time I tried a couple of months ago it wasn't working. The other CCS by the BOS is still temperamental and I only got 5% today before it threw a wobbly

Zap map is pretty good for seeing the status/history of the CPS chargers. The user reports are most informative. The CYC card is a must. I find the rapids in the green welly restaurant and real food cafe car parks at Tyndrum really handy for hill walking jaunts in Feersum. I would normally stop there for grub anyway.

Visiting Scotland at the moment and have found the Chargeplace Scotland chargers very useful. Not without issues however.

Hawick - CCS started charging at max rate but seemed to drop to about 30Kwh within 10 minutes. This happened a few times.

Melrose - Chargers were ICE’d. All 3 parking slots next to the charger occupied. Had to wait for 25 minutes for someone to return, they were completely oblivious until I mentioned it to them. To be fair though, there was no notice or marking to say that the parking slots were for EVs only so I couldn’t be too grumpy :)

Killin (nr Loch Tay) - on a couple of occasions charging would stop almost immediately. Took a few times to get it connected and charging. At least these parking spaces were clearly marked out as EV only though.

Overall have managed just fine, glad I acquired the Chargeplace Scotland card before the trip.
I have tried a number of Rapid chargers with a 2021 model3. None if the CCS work. AC is fine.
Called CPS, they tell me it is a known Tesla firmware fault?????

I have tried a number of Rapid chargers with a 2021 model3. None if the CCS work. AC is fine.
The ones in the Borders certainly work. And I’ve used one in Gullane. Perhaps the is an issue with a particular type of hardware as there are some variations but it’s not the case that there is a general firmware fault unless it’s something new.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've used a lot of the chargers around Glasgow and each and every one of them has worked with CCS. Which ones didn't work for you? Perhaps as @Adopado says there is a specific type that isn't working for you.
Also note that CPS is moving to a new supplier and the current operators seem to have given up providing a useful service.

Also note that CPS is moving to a new supplier and the current operators seem to have given up providing a useful service.
Indeed! The latest downtime has been truly shocking, but not surprising.

They seem to have DDoS'ed their own website by encouraging all members to log in at once, at 5pm on a Friday... just as their sysadmins go home for the weekend.

The main login link is still broken today, four days later.

More likely to just be the chargers being a pain in the ass than your car - unless the cars faulty… There’s a CPS CCS near me that’s temperamental - works most of the time but randomly totally refuses to start charge with the Tesla reporting “charging equipment not ready” and the charger complaining that “car is not ready”, meanwhile most of the others I’ve tried have worked without issue.

Looking at Zapmap chat there's loads of people having problems on the Kelso rapid (including you I see) ... they can't all be driving Teslas! Sounds more like a lazy excuse from CPS I'm afraid. Have you tried the one in Selkirk? ... it's the nearest to me and though I'm a rare CPS user it generally works OK. Also look here Chargeplace Scotland CYC

Last edited:
We’re up in the Borders at the moment (a holiday that we moved from last summer) and while I’d agree that some of the CPS rapids are a bit temperamental, they certainly work fine with my LR Model 3 from 2019.

Yesterday we tried the Kelso charger, but it was locked out with an error. I gave up trying to get it working after about 10 minutes on hold to the helpline with no help!

We moved on to Melrose to have a look around, and there my CPS card was “invalid”, so I started the charge with the app. It charged happily at 35kW, and I think we got something like 38kWh. When I came to stop the charge the app wasn’t responding (!) so I had to stop the charge on the Tesla app.

As I said, hardly the seamless experience we get with Tesla Superchargers, but it does work, most of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado