Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland - App or RFID card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CYC RFID is certainly worth it. In NE England, many town chargers are free and are on the CYC network, however they are no longer supported by BP Chargemaster/Polar. It’s a case of, if it works, it works. Many are not on their website, so the card has saved me a few times.

We tried charging for the first time last night using the App and failed despite having good mobile connection and adding my card details to the app account. There must be some simple step I have missed I think but the charging pillar doesnt appear to provide any info apart from confirming the 2 bays are operational.

As @DaddyCool said, Support can usually start the charge remotely (i.e. all 3rd party chargers, not CYC specifically). Doesn't always work, but its a good fallback when APP etc. doesn't work.

Contactless payment at pump would be nice ...

We tried charging for the first time last night using the App and failed despite having good mobile connection and adding my card details to the app account. There must be some simple step I have missed I think but the charging pillar doesnt appear to provide any info apart from confirming the 2 bays are operational. We gave up last night in the rain and will try again this am
I ordered the RFID card for £20 from Charge Your Car to be safe. But now with the impending lockdown I guess I may not be driving to Scotland for ages.

Phone the 0141 number and quote the charger ID - they will confirm you over the phone and start the charger for you.
The service has been 1st class in my cases

Well we tried again earlier and phoned the 0141 number and they confirmed that they had started the charging; the charge point changed from green to blue but the car simply didn't recognise and stubbornly maintained it ready to charge message. We gave up patience well and truly expended and drove the the Edinburgh SC and finally, after joining the queue of 4 cars already there, we got charged. I have to say I'm totally perplexed. Could there be an issue with the type 2 cable that came with the car (that looks barely used)?

Well we tried again earlier and phoned the 0141 number and they confirmed that they had started the charging; the charge point changed from green to blue but the car simply didn't recognise and stubbornly maintained it ready to charge message. We gave up patience well and truly expended and drove the the Edinburgh SC and finally, after joining the queue of 4 cars already there, we got charged. I have to say I'm totally perplexed. Could there be an issue with the type 2 cable that came with the car (that looks barely used)?
Likely the charger

Well we tried again earlier and phoned the 0141 number and they confirmed that they had started the charging; the charge point changed from green to blue but the car simply didn't recognise and stubbornly maintained it ready to charge message.

I've seen that too on my car and CPS chargers. I find if the cable is plugged in at both ends - car and charger - and then you try to start a charge it won't do anything other than "Ready to Charge" message on the car's screen.

Connect at the car end, present card (or activate via phone/app) and then connect the charger end of the cable AFTER the charger display says "Select plug" and it works correctly 100% of the time.

I had issues as well in Glasgow. On a 22KW charger in Belleahouston sport centre, using Tesla own cable, only charging at 16amp.

That sounds correct - 3 phases pushing 4KW @ 240V which is 16A per phase. Was the car showing 12KW on the dash display? Remember the car has to convert the AC to DC, the built in converter in the car maxes out at 12KW. Even if you plugged into the highest rated 43KW type 2 you'd still only charge at 12KW and 16A..

That sounds correct - 3 phases pushing 4KW @ 240V which is 16A per phase. Was the car showing 12KW on the dash display? Remember the car has to convert the AC to DC, the built in converter in the car maxes out at 12KW. Even if you plugged into the highest rated 43KW type 2 you'd still only charge at 12KW and 16A..

Max is 11kW according t o Tesla ...

When it was stuck in the "Ready to Charge" status the only way I could clear was to remove the cable from the car, close the charge port, lock the car and start again in the right sequence. Did you try that?

Surely they can't expect people to know or remember this sequencing especially when there are pretty much zero instructions on the charger boxes? I have ordered a card now so hopefully it will work using that without these issues.