Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland - App or RFID card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m off to Scotland in September and created a Chargeplace Scotland account today and setup my payment details.

I didn’t see an option to order an RFID card when creating my account and don’t see the option now. The “Charger Cards” section of the website just shows:

In future, you'll be able to order more cards for other family members. For now, if you have any problems with your charger card, or if you haven't received it, please contact the support team.

Is it automatic that they send an RFID card?

You can just use a debit card now.

You can also use the app, you don't need a card anymore.
Does that still work if there is no phone signal etc i.e does your contactless card replace their RFID ? I have a trip booked 3 days after the new car arrives to do the NC500, have e-mailed them to get a card but they must work for Tesla as i've had no reply.

Does that still work if there is no phone signal etc i.e does your contactless card replace their RFID ? I have a trip booked 3 days after the new car arrives to do the NC500, have e-mailed them to get a card but they must work for Tesla as i've had no reply.

Yes, I signed up while driving up and didn't have a card, but I could use my debit card as RFID authentication. I've not been charged once on DD so might have been free last week.

I got charged once at Elgin as I used the app instead of DD. The new app came out on Aug 2nd and the switchover was then, which might explain it being free for a while, so no guarantees it'll be like that on your trip!

Home now, 1650 mile round trip, love Scotland and the charging network. Could easily have a 100 mile EV up there.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr H
Yes, I signed up while driving up and didn't have a card, but I could use my debit card as RFID authentication. I've not been charged once on DD so might have been free last week.

I got charged once at Elgin as I used the app instead of DD. The new app came out on Aug 2nd and the switchover was then, which might explain it being free for a while, so no guarantees it'll be like that on your trip!

Home now, 1650 mile round trip, love Scotland and the charging network. Could easily have a 100 mile EV up there.
Thanks for the info, i have the app (along with a hundred others) should be easy in a LR, just hope the weather plays ball. I suspect the contactless would be a monthly billing cycle.

I had the email from SWARCO to sign up to the new CPS system on 23 July. As part of the sign-up process I had to set up a Direct Debit. The new RFID card arrived in the post about 10 days later. I’ve yet to try it out, but we should be in Skye again in September, Nicola permitting. Unfortunately since our trip last year, Highlands council are now charging for using their CPS chargers.

Reactions: Mr H
I’m off to Scotland in September and created a Chargeplace Scotland account today and setup my payment details.

I didn’t see an option to order an RFID card when creating my account and don’t see the option now. The “Charger Cards” section of the website just shows:

In future, you'll be able to order more cards for other family members. For now, if you have any problems with your charger card, or if you haven't received it, please contact the support team.

I created my account a few days ago and ordering the card was part of the sign up process. Hasn’t arrived yet though - it did say 5-10 business days, so hopefully next week sometime.

Reactions: squarepeg77
I had the email from SWARCO to sign up to the new CPS system on 23 July. As part of the sign-up process I had to set up a Direct Debit. The new RFID card arrived in the post about 10 days later. I’ve yet to try it out, but we should be in Skye again in September, Nicola permitting. Unfortunately since our trip last year, Highlands council are now charging for using their CPS chargers.
We'll be in Skye in September too :)

Reactions: Roy W.

Based on my experience it IS automatic that they send you and RFID card once you have successfully set-up a new account and DD. This is not clear from the information on their website … but it is what happened to me.

My card worked the day after the changeover bit has now stopped working with an authentication error. Transpires it wasn't ported over from the old maintainer, despite me completing the transfer request form online. Can't be re-added, so they're sending a new one. Maybe a week. The free vend on swiping a credit or debit card didn't work at my closest charger, I'll try another later.

Thank God for SuCs.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I got an e-mail today from CPS saying the £20 annual fee for the CPS RFID card was due. Since the change to Swarco, it's now a one off £10 rather than an annual £20. Called them up, waited about 8 mins in a queue and was told ignore it as CYC sent these out in error.

Looking at the CPS webpage, the live map seems to be missing quite a few chargers and is also showing all type 2 chargers as 22KW when I know some are definitely 7KW posts. The new CPS app seems to have the same bad info and a different set of present/missing charge points. Garbage in/garbage out i guess?

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. At least my RFID card is working still - hopefully that hasn't jinxed it.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Based on my experience it IS automatic that they send you and RFID card once you have successfully set-up a new account and DD. This is not clear from the information on their website … but it is what happened to me.
I have returned from my short trip to Scotland having successfully used the new CPS RFID card at two different chargers. I recognise that this is a small sample but nonetheless satisfactory. I have a longer trip to Scotland in September and will be trying out more chargers on that occasion.

I didn't get my card in time for our trip to Scotland but in my experience over the last week or so you need to create an account and set up the direct debit thing, you can "activate" the charger to release the CCS lead using any card - I used my bank card on multiple occasions and it worked, you then plug the lead into your car and start the charging via the app. Works well assuming you have a data signal on your phone 👍

Up in Scotland at the moment enjoying the Cairngorms scenery, it is of course delightful. I have the CPS card, only used it once when we stopped over in Hawick for a few days to visit family. Never had a problem with it, the CPS network is pretty fine when I compare it with the charging infrastructure back home in Wales. The cottage we are staying in (Braemar) also has an EV charge point which is partly why I booked it. Great so far.

Up in Scotland at the moment enjoying the Cairngorms scenery, it is of course delightful. I have the CPS card, only used it once when we stopped over in Hawick for a few days to visit family. Never had a problem with it, the CPS network is pretty fine when I compare it with the charging infrastructure back home in Wales. The cottage we are staying in (Braemar) also has an EV charge point which is partly why I booked it. Great so far.

Once most holiday accommodation can offer EV charging that will make a massive difference to the pressure on general public chargers.