Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint Home Flex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ready for my MY! Hopefully will get it this month! In preparation I just installed the new Chargepoint Home Flex charging station using my existing 14-50 plug. It was super easy to install and easy to link to my Chargepoint account. I get real time data on my phone like the Tesla unit and because it has the J 1772 I can charge both my wife's Leaf and the Model Y. I assume they still give the J 1772 adapter with the car like they did with the Model 3.

Reactions: pt19713
I recently installed a chargepoint flex as well in preparation for my model y. It charges at up to 50amps (48 for model y) and just like op mentioned, I also have other EVs I need to charge like my Chevy bolt. If I only had a Tesla I’d have probably installed the third gen Tesla wall connector with 18 foot cable.

My only concern is that I’ve read if the model 3/y goes to sleep mode after it is done charging the handle may not unlock due to chargepoint not having a button signal to unlock or wake the model 3/y charge lock. I don’t know for sure since I don’t have a model 3 but that’s what I’ve read. Some people have said that touching the door handle will wake it up to unlock the handle by pressing the j1772 button to disconnect the pilot signal. I don’t know for sure. I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks when we all get our model Ys.

There was also a device someone used to sell that sent a special encrypted signal to tell the Tesla chargepoint to unlock which mimics the button in the Tesla charge handles. I may look into that if it ends up being that the charger won’t unlock properly short of unlocking it via the app or the lcd screen in the car.

Reactions: LasVegas2019
I don't know why you'd use a Chargepoint charger when the MY will plug right into the 14-50. Won't the 1772 slow down charging?
I got it so we could charge the Leaf, our future Ford Mach E and the Model Y using the universal J1772. Since my Chargepoint plugs into a 50 amp 14-50 outlet, it will charge the MY at 40 amps which is more than the Tesla 32 amp mobile connector.

the chargepoint flex actually charges faster at the maximum 48amps for model 3/Y vs the mobile connector with 14-50 adapter which maxes out at 32amps.

OP mentioned plugging the ChargePoint Flex into a NEMA 14-50, which would provide either 32 or 40 amp charging depending on the circuit breaker and wiring size. So as fast or faster than the Tesla mobile connector, but not 48 amps.

Got the same charger recently and love it. easy to install since I have a 14-50 outlet already. Can always upgrade later on if I really want to because i also have 60 amp wire there preinstalled. another reason why I got this vs Tesla Home Charger is because my local utility company gives us a extra $300 rebate for this, but not the Tesla charger. With the Utility rebate plus state rebate, it cost almost nothing!

Got the same charger recently and love it. easy to install since I have a 14-50 outlet already. Can always upgrade later on if I really want to because i also have 60 amp wire there preinstalled. another reason why I got this vs Tesla Home Charger is because my local utility company gives us a extra $300 rebate for this, but not the Tesla charger. With the Utility rebate plus state rebate, it cost almost nothing!

How do you open the charge port?

I used J1772 for a while and did not like it. The charge port closes too quickly from the infotainment screen, and opening the app is an extra step.

Won't the 1772 slow down charging?

J1772 adapter is just a piece of metal. Its the same or less power loss as having 5mm longer wire.

You can also hardwire the Chargepoint unit to a 60 amp breaker and get 48 amp charging to your Tesla. I just have mine plugged into a NEMA 14-50 connector on a 50 amp circuit. It draws 40 amps when plugged in to the Y and I am getting 36 miles per hour charge rate.

You can also hardwire the Chargepoint unit to a 60 amp breaker and get 48 amp charging to your Tesla. I just have mine plugged into a NEMA 14-50 connector on a 50 amp circuit. It draws 40 amps when plugged in to the Y and I am getting 36 miles per hour charge rate.
that's why I like this Charger. it has the flexibility. I actually had the electrician pre-wired the 60 amp line when they installed my Nema 14-50 plug, so i can hardwire it if I want to one day. Just don't want to pay the extra right now to do that, but knowing i have the option to in the future is nice.

that's why I like this Charger. it has the flexibility. I actually had the electrician pre-wired the 60 amp line when they installed my Nema 14-50 plug, so i can hardwire it if I want to one day. Just don't want to pay the extra right now to do that, but knowing i have the option to in the future is nice.
Nice! I already had the 50 amp for my 14-50 outlet so I would have to pull new Romex to upgrade to 60amp. However the miles per hour of charge you get with 48 amps vs 40 is negligible for me. But like you I love having the option.

Reactions: Klau2
Not sure if it's ok to cross-post links (mods please remove if not) but I've got a NEMA14-50 splitter for sale - FS: Parkworld NEMA 14-50 splitter

Could be used to power 2 portable Tesla (or Tesla + J1772) chargers from one NEMA14-50 socket. Of course you'll need to take care to avoid going over 40A current draw combined. For me it was a temporary solution and I now have a separate 20A circuit for the second charger.

Q: do you keep the adaptor on the chargepoint at all times? And if so, does it fit into the chargepoint box?
How do you hang the cable?

Q: do you keep the adaptor on the chargepoint at all times? And if so, does it fit into the chargepoint box?
How do you hang the cable?
Yes, I do. No it doesn't fit. I have a hook next to the charger and just hang the whole thing there. Also, it's definitely more troublesome when you try to unplug it from the car since you can't just push a button on the handle to unlock it. What I do is I release the Chargepoint charger from the adapter while it's still hooked to the car. After it's detached, the car will unlock the adapter then you can take it off and plug it back to the Chargepoint charger. I then hang it on the hook. You can always unlock it with your phone, or if you have a key fob you can hold the trunk button for a couple second to unlock it also.