Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Configuration and Install New M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very informative post. Thanks

I am in Ontario and recently ordered HPWC. my panel at basement showing 125 Amps breaker. my house is pretty new (2 year old) and has only electric dryer and central AC. I dont know if I have to upgrade my panel to 200amps for Tesla charging..

Have a look at my other post here to help you with a quick calculation on panel upgrades: What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

Typically, one purchases 6/3 NMD for the interior runs (although if you can find it, you only need a 2 conductor cable with ground for the HPWC (as the neutral is not required)).
I suggest going with 6/3 regardless. Small additional cost. Significant future flexibility.

Subpanel, for example. This could serve as cutoff switch, if one is required.

Or a future outlet/device which requires a neutral connection.

I'm torn between the 8.5' cable and 24' cable. Having the 8.5' cable would work for my spot, I'm just worried about giving up future flexibility like being able to park outside the garage (for an unknown future reason). I don't want to have all that extra cable everywhere. Will I be fine with an 8.5' cable?

I'm torn between the 8.5' cable and 24' cable. Having the 8.5' cable would work for my spot, I'm just worried about giving up future flexibility like being able to park outside the garage (for an unknown future reason). I don't want to have all that extra cable everywhere. Will I be fine with an 8.5' cable?
8.5` isn't that long really -- I found it would barely go from my wall to my car without being pretty taught (and my charger is installed right between my two cars and on the correct side). The extra cable isn't too bad -- 3 smallish loops around the charger with the 24`. They are the same price at least. The advantage for me with the 24' is I can reach both parking spots in my garage, at both ends of the car (in case car is parked front in), and I can just reach a car pulled up right in front of the garage door (sideways, which is possible on my driveway) (say for visitors without having to move my cars).

Reactions: akidesir