Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV Power quoted me $27,000 for installation (distance is 63 meters from building switch board). How much they quoted you?

Thanks for this information. I've been looking all over for the installation cost.

I'm very interested in the Model S, going for a test drive next week. My main concern is how to charge in my car park? I've been renting for 3 years in the same place and my landlord who owns the apt and the carpark spot is very friendly and reasonable.

I called the property management office and they said it is POSSIBLE to install a charging station for personal use but only under several circumstances:

#1) The apt OWNER allows it and agrees to it in writing. (I think I can get this, he's a VERY reasonable friendly guy, and it's only adding value to his parking spot).
#2) The parking space is not an (in between spot) so the charging station won't affect any other spot. So for example, a middle spot sandwiched between other spots is out of the question. Luckily on my left side is a pillar, so I think the potential is there to install the machine on the pillar and not disrupt any other spot.
#3) an electrical company will do the installation and setup everything.
#4) The HK power electric will hook up their meter and I will have to pay a separate bill monthly. This is just a new monthly bill, just like my residential bill.
#5) Once completed the property office will do an inspection and make sure everything is OK.

Our carpark is about 3 floors 200 or so spots and he said 1 person has successfully done it so far. He wouldn't tell me who could do the installation as he said he didn't want to create a conflict of interest, but I told him I wanted to use a professional reliable company as to not fail the inspection and EVENTUALLY I weasled the name EVPower from him.

He had no idea of pricing either, so I'm glad to see someone giving a quotation.

I could justify spending 30K hkd on a charging station as I would save that in fuel within 6-8 months. The trouble I'm having is if I ever decide to leave my current landlord I can't take my charging station with me. Although again, I could always justify it as a sunk cost which paid for itself within 6-8 months, but it still hurts and I'd have to invest another 30K for the new spot. I have no intention of leaving at the moment, but it does complicate things a bit.

I guess if I did decide to leave the apt, I would try and make a deal with the landlord to keep the carpark space, and rent it out monthly. Renting out carpark spaces is a fairly common practice.

As far as I understand it, car park owners/managers are quite critical of type or brand specific chargers.

If you want to install a charger which isn't only a Tesla wall charger, it might be easier. That way you can sell the idea that if some day a Nissan Leaf, BMW i3/i8 or even electric motorcycles want to use it, it's ready to use.

Can you imagine a car park with spots of different standards? If all EV spots could charge all EVs, that would be a lot better for a car park where various cars could use the spots.

After having spoken to some TM HK employees, I understood this was one of the challenges to install superchargers: It can only be used for Tesla Cars

Is it even possible/legal to install your own CHAdeMo in Hong Kong, if you wanted? Is it that much more expensive?

If you owned one or more spots you wanted to convert to EV parking-charging spots, in order to rent those places out at a premium - which charging system would you then choose?

The property manager just told me they rejected my application (the owners' committee met couple days ago and they have a copy of EV Power's proposal) for reasons that don't make sense

uploadfromtaptalk1400590087873.jpg

Just received the meeting minutes. Please be prepared when you apply yours. Is first come first serve not fair? I think many things are first come first serve in our estate such as visitors' parking, equipments in gym and water hose for car wash.

It says there is room for 4 more installs, and they received 2 applications. Soooooo....What's the problem?

I had a similar problem with my OC and Management Office. They definitely see the EV trend and worried they cannot fulfill the needs for late comers.

Unlike bicycle racks, you can do a draw every year to re-assign the spot if space are limited, the charger capacity would definitely be taken up by early birds, and soon become their privilege.

I believe they are thinking about "fairness".

I had a similar problem with my OC and Management Office. They definitely see the EV trend and worried they cannot fulfill the needs for late comers.

Unlike bicycle racks, you can do a draw every year to re-assign the spot if space are limited, the charger capacity would definitely be taken up by early birds, and soon become their privilege.

I believe they are thinking about "fairness".

Oh, I though they already approved your installation.

About this fairness issue, I am proposing to OC that they 1)announce my application to all owners and see if anyone against my installation or who also want to do installation, 2) if no one oppose and less than 4 applicants, they should approve all applications; if over 4, then lucky draw to see who gets the quota, 3) if late comers are willing to spend money to upgrade the building's capacity from 4 to let say 20, the 4 early birds should share the expenses with those late comers.

I think they are not so much thinking about fairness but being conservative and ignorant. I would quietly suggest you are going to make a complaint in court and suggest that they reconsider before they start spending the estates money. I would also get on the management committee.

About this fairness issue, I am proposing to OC that they 1)announce my application to all owners and see if anyone against my installation or who also want to do installation, 2) if no one oppose and less than 4 applicants, they should approve all applications; if over 4, then lucky draw to see who gets the quota, 3) if late comers are willing to spend money to upgrade the building's capacity from 4 to let say 20, the 4 early birds should share the expenses with those late comers.
Having been the president of a homeowner's association (OC) I find your approach completely reasonable. If you continue to face FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) from the OC regarding the charging stations impacting the building electrical, try to get a letter from a certified electrician or representative of the electric utility stating that it will not adversely affect the rest of the building.

I think they are not so much thinking about fairness but being conservative and ignorant. I would quietly suggest you are going to make a complaint in court and suggest that they reconsider before they start spending the estates money. I would also get on the management committee.
If they keep wasting my time with reasons don't make sense, my next step is seeking politicians in my district for help. Then local media such as Apple Daily and Next Magazine. Last step will be legal proceeding.

If they keep wasting my time with reasons don't make sense, my next step is seeking politicians in my district for help. Then local media such as Apple Daily and Next Magazine. Last step will be legal proceeding.

Do you have a 'big name' management company? Perhaps a suggestion of bad press for their environmental unfriendliness might help?

Do you have a 'big name' management company? Perhaps a suggestion of bad press for their environmental unfriendliness might help?

It is jones lang lasalle, I think they are big? Interesting that they said they are reviewing whether these EVSEs will cause interruption to my building's power, but I saw two properties under their management with EVSE installed in EV Power job reference. (I will tell the OC's chairlady about this in my letter).

It is jones lang lasalle, I think they are big? Interesting that they said they are reviewing whether these EVSEs will cause interruption to my building's power, but I saw two properties under their management with EVSE installed in EV Power job reference. (I will tell the OC's chairlady about this in my letter).

I would definitely point out to both them and the OC that you are trying to help the environment and they are forcing you to seek publicity with a view to changing their unfair obstructions. The installation you do will be undertaken by a licensed electrician according to EMSD guidelines (and provide them the guidelines).