Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging 100% for Model 3 Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they let you charge/regen past the capacity you paid for?

FWIW, they do - my software locked MS 60 would happily regen for many miles when charged to “100%”. I start my morning commute with a long ~4 mile downhill so I tested this many times. It doesn’t show extra miles or go above 100% or anything, but it’s definitely regenerating and that energy is going somewhere...

On my Model S, regen strength starts to be limited after ~90% SoC.

Technically a 220 mile software locked model 3 SR is ~92% of the 240 mile SR+ battery, so I suppose it’s feasible that regen would be limited (not completely disabled) at the very top of the charge.

You see that makes sense to me. I have full regen at 90 percent...unless it’s cold. So a 92 percent charged SR should have regen even at 100 percent.

Just sayin.

Yes, I can comment. It’s not true, never has been that way for any of Tesla’s software locked batteries. You can test it for yourself by supercharging - you’ll notice far higher rates than the 1-2kw you normally see between 99 and 100% when charging a non-locked battery to a true 100.

After Tesla dropped the price from $7k to $2k to OTA unlock my Model S 60, I charged the 60 to 100% then immediately initiated the upgrade. Tesla pushed the new profile to the car, it rebooted, and immediately became a “75” with an 85% state of charge. There’s zero reason to believe the 3 SR is any different, and lots of reasons for it to not be.
Yeah that's a good way to tell how it is limited. Anyone actually tried this on the SR? If confirmed on SR I can't see a reason for not downgrading.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I'm hearing from a few people on this forum say that the battery is actually locked on the bottom end, meaning when you're charging to 100% it's actually 100%. The difference being the reported battery remaining will reflect the standard range estimate, so basically locking that 5kw on the bottom end. Can someone comment on this?
I’d like to know as well. i think the warning from the car is enough justification to upgrade battery. i agree if it’s SW locked then no hardware concern is relevant but does anyone not mind seeing the warning sign to avoid over charging? especially when typically 100% is not required. then there’s the extra concern on over use of fast chargers. it’s a pickle for sure. what’s the price of headache by virtue of preoccupation?

It works the same. But a 100% charge on a SR is only physically 90%. Why would Tesla let you charge/regen past 100%? You didn't pay for that extra 10% capacity so you can't use it. Are you saying that they should let you regen all the way up to 111%?
please buy a tesla. i own an ioniq from hyuandai and while it is a great car in many ways there is simply no comparison.

When I purchased my SR base on 4/18/2019, the charging maximum was set at 210 miles. That’s a bit over 95% of 220. I took that to mean that the prep folks didn’t care because 90% of 240 mile battery is 216 miles and 210 was safe. I’m leaving it there — no regen issues. Then again, I’m gathering that some at the service centers are not up to speed on facts.

I drive 140 miles each way to work, which means a round trip can be tight sometimes. I was considering the following for my regular charging plan...

1) charge to 90%.
2) schedule to start charging to 100% just before going to work so that the battery never hangs at 100% for more than 15 minutes or so.
3) immediately drive to work.

Is that ok for the battery, or do you think I'm better off just sticking with my tighter round trips starting at 90%? Thanks everyone

I drive 140 miles each way to work, which means a round trip can be tight sometimes. I was considering the following for my regular charging plan...

1) charge to 90%.
2) schedule to start charging to 100% just before going to work so that the battery never hangs at 100% for more than 15 minutes or so.
3) immediately drive to work.

Is that ok for the battery, or do you think I'm better off just sticking with my tighter round trips starting at 90%? Thanks everyone

You didn't mention which configuration you have.

Unless the SR, it is inadvisable to charge on a regular basis to 100%, and even that shouldn't be charged at over 97%.
With the SR+ you should be capable of making this commute with a 90% charge, though occasionally you might need a quick top-up on the way back, for example on a really cold winter day.
Calculation: Assuming you can get 80% of EPA rating, going from 90% -> 10% with an SR+ is 154 real miles (240 * 0.8 * 0.8), which really means that you should typically have 14% - 16% charge remaining after your normal commute.

If the temps are in the teens or low 20s, throw caution to the winds and charge to 100% regardless, of course. :)

You didn't mention which configuration you have.

Unless the SR, it is inadvisable to charge on a regular basis to 100%, and even that shouldn't be charged at over 97%.
With the SR+ you should be capable of making this commute with a 90% charge, though occasionally you might need a quick top-up on the way back, for example on a really cold winter day.
Calculation: Assuming you can get 80% of EPA rating, going from 90% -> 10% with an SR+ is 154 real miles (240 * 0.8 * 0.8), which really means that you should typically have 14% - 16% charge remaining after your normal commute.

If the temps are in the teens or low 20s, throw caution to the winds and charge to 100% regardless, of course. :)

Sorry. I am so new to this. I have the long range model with the all wheel drive. Also my car sits in the employee lot for 4 days before i get to drive home from work, so thats another 40 miles lost due to phantom drain. Is it bad to consistently hit 100% but only for a few minutes since you will immediately drive it though?

Sorry. I am so new to this. I have the long range model with the all wheel drive. Also my car sits in the employee lot for 4 days before i get to drive home from work, so thats another 40 miles lost due to phantom drain. Is it bad to consistently hit 100% but only for a few minutes since you will immediately drive it though?

The real question is what percent of the battery is used for your commute?

1) You shouldn't need to charge to 100% with LR/AWD for that commute, and we are told by Tesla to avoid charging to 100%

2) You also shouldn't lose more than 2 - 3 miles a day when parked. While you can afford the loss, you shouldn't need to as the extra loss is around 12% of your actual range and that's non-trivial. There's lots of threads on how to figure out what causes excess battery usage when parked.

3) Is there anyway you can plug the car into a 120v-15A socket for some of the time it is parked?

It would be interesting to see your actual usage numbers.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The real question is what percent of the battery is used for your commute?

1) You shouldn't need to charge to 100% with LR/AWD for that commute, and we are told by Tesla to avoid charging to 100%

2) You also shouldn't lose more than 2 - 3 miles a day when parked. While you can afford the loss, you shouldn't need to as the extra loss is around 12% of your actual range and that's non-trivial. There's lots of threads on how to figure out what causes excess battery usage when parked.

3) Is there anyway you can plug the car into a 120v-15A socket for some of the time it is parked?

It would be interesting to see your actual usage numbers.
1) I agree completely. The car is 2 weeks old and I have only driven to work twice. Definitely getting the feel of it.

2) I will look into those threads next, but many forums have mentioned that the Model 3 has the worst phantom drain (10 miles per day), which is exactly what is happening to me. I will certainly take your advice and see if I can correct that.

3) I wish I could plug in. Im an airline pilot who parks in the airport long term lot. If I did happen to find an outlet, they would probably fire me for stealing electricity. Haha.

1) I agree completely. The car is 2 weeks old and I have only driven to work twice. Definitely getting the feel of it.

2) I will look into those threads next, but many forums have mentioned that the Model 3 has the worst phantom drain (10 miles per day), which is exactly what is happening to me. I will certainly take your advice and see if I can correct that.

3) I wish I could plug in. Im an airline pilot who parks in the airport long term lot. If I did happen to find an outlet, they would probably fire me for stealing electricity. Haha.

Welcome to the club.

My experience with parking my car at Atlanta airport for multiday trips in off-airport parking is 2 - 3 miles a day battery usage. But I don't have any third party applications and I never check the car's status until I switch on its heat/cool on the shuttle back to the parking lot.

Welcome to the club.

My experience with parking my car at Atlanta airport for multiday trips in off-airport parking is 2 - 3 miles a day battery usage. But I don't have any third party applications and I never check the car's status until I switch on its heat/cool on the shuttle back to the parking lot.
Thanks bud. I'm loving every minute of this. You may have hit the nail on the head here! Because its new, I have been on the app way to often. Checking on the car probably wastes some power as well, lol. Thanks for all your help. It sounds to me like I better not charge past 90%. I should be just fine. Thanks again! I have never felt like I was part of a club for owning a car before. This is absolutely something else! Every Tesla owner that I have met or spoken to has been absolutely awesome, welcoming, and super helpful and informative. All the best to everyone!

Thanks bud. I'm loving every minute of this. You may have hit the nail on the head here! Because its new, I have been on the app way to often. Checking on the car probably wastes some power as well, lol. Thanks for all your help. It sounds to me like I better not charge past 90%. I should be just fine. Thanks again! I have never felt like I was part of a club for owning a car before. This is absolutely something else! Every Tesla owner that I have met or spoken to has been absolutely awesome, welcoming, and super helpful and informative. All the best to everyone!
Waking the car by pinging it through the app uses juice, as does Sentry mode (excessively). As do third party apps like Tesla Fi. Good luck!

Checking the app often to see the drain is pretty common for new owners but it’s like Schrödinger's battery. If you keep checking if the battery is alive, it dies a bit each time :). The car sleeps most of the time you are gone as long as you turn off Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection for long term parking I think you should be fine. 280 miles plus 4 days of storage though does seem pretty tight.

Do you have anywhere along tour commute to top-up at an L2 charger or a supercharger? If no, I would probably do what you first suggested about schedule a charge to end before leaving, but maybe to 95%?

BTW, as a pilot, I’m curious what are your thoughts on the naming choice and connotation of “Autopilot”.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod