Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging 2 EVs on a single 120V 15A circuit... and dealing with it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember how range anxiety was a thing. Charging infrastructure and charging times were my primary concern when shopping for an EV. And I don't want to say it isn't important, but...

Our house burned down last July and we've been living in a rental. We can't install a 240V circuit and we only have access to a single 120V 15A circuit. And you know what? We're getting by. Yes, we have to make sure one car is charging every night... but so far, we haven't yet had to make use of the Supercharger (about 20 minutes away) or CCS charger (same but in opposite direction) other than on long trips (as they're intended). Neither of us have a place to plug in at work either. We haven't even used an L2 charger (I probably would if one was conveniently located).

Nope... 100% of our daily driving has been covered with this single lowly plug.

I'm glad you are making this work in a pinch (and sorry about your house!). However, I'm guessing that you are not both at work 8 hours/day or that your annual mileage on each car averages less than 1000 km (620 miles) per month (excluding any Supercharging trips).

This can work for people who are home a lot and/or don't drive many miles. Unfortunately, it consumes considerably more electricity than Supercharging or Level 2 (240V) charging so you end up consuming more electricity for the same benefit. But, yeah, as a temporary solution it's amazing what can get you by if you don't have a long commute.

Just for clarity only one car at a time.
Yes, one at a time :)

Wow bummer about the house, hopefully rebuilding?
Slowly :) It has been an extremely frustrating process. Oh, and I didn't mention that I lost my beloved P85D in the fire! Lol, don't get me started on that.
Do you just use the supplied 20’ or 25’ Tesla cable and adaptor that both came with the car, or do you require more length to the plug?
Actually, I haven't even taken the UMC out of the bag! We both use the Bolt's charger. I just use the J1772 adapter that came with my Model 3. While we only have one outlet, thankfullyi it is very conveniently placed at least. The cord length isn't an issue at all.

Congrats, prime example that faster charging is a new owner, range anxiety thing
Exactly my point! I'm not going to say I'm not going to appreciate having two dedicated circuits... I very much will... but I don't think many non-owners (or even many owners) would think it possible to get by with two EVs and one household plug!

Of course... we both have short commutes of around 10 miles each way and shopping is typically within that range as well. Obviously not everyone could make this work. But I bet more could than they realize :)

Cheers!

If your rental residence has a soffit plug (usually for Christmas lights) they are usually a dedicated single receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. Easy to change it to 240 volt with no new wiring. Everything is done at the panel. Probably a wall switch that has to be bypassed. You’ll need a double pole 15 amp breaker to replace the single pole. Probably under 100 bucks. Then just get a 15 amp max EVSE like the clipper creek LCS-15.

Worked for us. Doubles the charge speed.

II'm guessing that you are not both at work 8 hours/day or that your annual mileage on each car averages less than 1000 km (620 miles) per month
we do both work full time and we also have to get the kid to all his stuff... but yeah, overall we're light users for sure. My wife has the longer commute. I just looked it up and it is 14.9 km each way. With running around, I would guess she's probably at 50km per day and I'm more like 30km per day. However, we haven't been shy about it. For example, I'm driving over 200km today to pick something up. Yes, we had to plan ahead to make sure I am fully charged, but by this morning both of us are at 90% thanks to the weekend.

Did plugging in two EVs burn down the house?
there's always one in the crowd, isn't there? :)

At the time of the fire, our only EV was the P85D. The fire started in the basement, it seems. While the Tesla was plugged in at the time, it is doubtful it was related. They guessed it was a hobby/drone battery that spontaneously decided to catch fire, but that room was decimated to a degree that it became impossible to determine the exact origin, I'm told.

Be sure your breaker wires are tight and you have a healthy 120v outlet with no wear and if so replace it with a quality outlet. 120V charging is very inefficient and can be unsafe if done improperly particularly with your high cycle use and failure of outlets and breaker connections coming loose with heating/cooling.

Reactions: eprosenx
Very very sorry to hear about this. Your report is very valuable.

I live in the SF Bay Area. When I first got my MX in July I plugged into the 120 volt but was only getting 3 miles per hour charge... but the extension cord I used to connect from the 120 to the Tesla portable charger was a thinner one and it got really hot. I quickly switched to a thicker and shorter extension cable that did not get hot and then eventually I got an adaptor that connected to a 240/15 amp plug in my garage that preexisted before me and now I get 7 miles per hour charge. Not quite ready to get a dedicated circuit yet for a higher amp charger. This is good enough. (it runs from the wall on the side of the '58 chevy convertible).

that is correct... but if you're comment is that we don't qualify as having Canadian winters... lol, ok guilty.

No. Angela and I are in Vernon just down the road. I think we saw the news story about your house fire as they of course had to imply your Tesla had something to do with it. Anyway, our thoughts were with you as we knew that was a difficult time for you and your family. Glad to see you are bouncing back. Wishing you and yours well with the rebuild process.

J and A

I remember how range anxiety was a thing. Charging infrastructure and charging times were my primary concern when shopping for an EV. And I don't want to say it isn't important, but...

Our house burned down last July and we've been living in a rental. We can't install a 240V circuit and we only have access to a single 120V 15A circuit. And you know what? We're getting by. Yes, we have to make sure one car is charging every night... but so far, we haven't yet had to make use of the Supercharger (about 20 minutes away) or CCS charger (same but in opposite direction) other than on long trips (as they're intended). Neither of us have a place to plug in at work either. We haven't even used an L2 charger (I probably would if one was conveniently located).

I am so sorry to hear about your house. Can you share how it happened? (if electrical related perhaps there are some important learnings for members of the forums here?)

In your rental, is it possible you could find another receptacle on a different circuit so that you could at least charge both at once?

Best of luck with your rebuilding plans!