Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone in SA is thinking about installing a Tesla HPWC, you might want to move sooner rather than later, because it seems like you won't be allowed to after July 1:

I can get why solar inverters needs to be able to be controlled by DNSPs, in order to prevent export when then grid can’t take it.

But electricity pricing signals should be enough to stop people grid charging their EVs at very high rates at peak times. This “people come home and plug in at 6pm” narrative annoys me so much because the people saying it seem to have no idea that EVs have charging timers!!! Who grid charges their EV at peak electricity rates? 🙄

And if folk are not drawing any grid power while their EV is charging, then their EVSE should not be able to be curtailed. Are the proposed Smart Controls smart enough?

Reactions: cafz and elddum
people saying it seem to have no idea
I think this is the big problem with the FUD about EVs - people who saw one once, or heard someone say something, making definitive pronouncements. A bit like the NSW FRS statements you called out recently @Vostok - totally ill informed.

Agree- the smart controllers won’t be smart enough and will all be setup so the energy companies can continue to gouge and ride the free wave they have for years for little investment on their part. Change needs to be driven into the energy market, but not through limiting the consumer or stifling innovation.

Hi there all, I've only ever charged at home on our Tesla Wall charger and I'm going away for a while and will need to charge at least a couple of times so what will I need, what is the most common plug? I know one I'm hoping to use is CCS/SAE, will that fit our Tesla Y? Sorry but it's all too complex for this old bloke.

Hi there all, I've only ever charged at home on our Tesla Wall charger and I'm going away for a while and will need to charge at least a couple of times so what will I need, what is the most common plug? I know one I'm hoping to use is CCS/SAE, will that fit our Tesla Y? Sorry but it's all too complex for this old bloke.
To cover most bases you need
- something like a Tesla UMC which plugs into a normal 10A GPO (powerpoint) and also 15A GPOs.
- a type 2 cable. These are used in many public chargers.

With those, plus public DC Fast chargers you’re good unless you go very rural.

Notwithstanding @aceon’s reply, I interpret your question as to whether public chargers will fit your Tesla Model Y?

The simple answer is yes, they will, and you do not need to bring anything. The easiest option, depending on where you are driving to, is to use Tesla’s Supercharger network. Make sure you have a valid credit card attached to your Tesla account before you leave.

All fast chargers from any provider (the largish free-standing boxes) will work with Tesla. And for slower (AC) destination charging (e.g. at some motels, shopping centers etc) they will work as well, if they have a cable attached. Some don’t have cables attached, and they are called “BYO cable” which is the Type 2 cable @aceon refers to. These are not cheap - around $250-$350 - so unless you plan to use one semi-regularly, it is possibly not a great investment.

I suggest you plan your trip using Plugshare and/or A Better Route Planner (ABRP), work out where you are likely to stop and charge, and check whether any sites specify “BYO Cable”.

@Power Hungry is in Queensland. If heading north and using the QESH chargers, they have AC backups next to the DC fast charger. You will almost always use the CCS plug built into the DC charger. However, if DC is broken or not available, then you can use a Type 2/Mennekes/BYO cable to draw 11kW from the AC charger. I have done it about 4 times already.

If you are nervous about how to charge on the road, it is well worth doing a test-run or two before you travel. Remember to download the relevant apps for the charging networks you plan to use (use A Better Route Planner to plan you route and Plugshare +/- the charging network app to check the status of the chargers you are planning to use).

Reactions: elddum
Put the address of your final or furthest destination into your navigation. If it’s within the Tesla Supercharger network the car will do all the work for you, down to when you will get to the next charging stop, how long to charge and what state of charge you will have at each stop along the way.
Try and find accommodation that has destination charging and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.
If you’re travelling outside the Supercharger network you will then need to use tools like ABRP as previously advised but it’s not rocket science, just check the status of each charging stop you decide up in PlugShare to make sure it’s operational and select some backups if available.

Reactions: Jules22