Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m heading to Melbourne on Friday and then doing some touring in the less flooded parts of the wine country
I haven’t got around to buying a type 2 cable, so thinking of ordering one
last minute I know, but are Tesla likely to get one to me within four days?
Do you mean a type 2 to type 2 cable? Why would you want one? BYO type 2 chargers are far less common around here than Tesla destination chargers. A few shopping centres maybe? Just drop in for a meal at De Bortoli in Dixon's Creek. Their destination chargers were working last time I checked (although possibly at reduced rate) and there are plenty of other wineries with Type 2 chargers as well, all with tethered cables. The RACV Country Club chargers at also usable (don't use the Tesla chargers there, they are old single phase units, use the newer chargers since they are 3 phase).

Am I missing something?

Reactions: schnaxxl
I recently ordered the wall connector, and Im just wondering if it comes with the wall attachment plate? Or do we need to buy that separately. Im assuming it obviously doesn't come with screws and stuff, but not sure if it comes with wall attachment plate. Can someone confirm. Thanks!

I recently ordered the wall connector, and Im just wondering if it comes with the wall attachment plate? Or do we need to buy that separately. Im assuming it obviously doesn't come with screws and stuff, but not sure if it comes with wall attachment plate. Can someone confirm. Thanks!
The Gen 2 came with all necessary mounting hardware (not cable glands / grommets for the cable conduits or similar though). Presumably the Gen 3 is similar.

Reactions: knan
Do you mean a type 2 to type 2 cable? Why would you want one? BYO type 2 chargers are far less common around here than Tesla destination chargers. A few shopping centres maybe? Just drop in for a meal at De Bortoli in Dixon's Creek. Their destination chargers were working last time I checked (although possibly at reduced rate) and there are plenty of other wineries with Type 2 chargers as well, all with tethered cables. The RACV Country Club chargers at also usable (don't use the Tesla chargers there, they are old single phase units, use the newer chargers since they are 3 phase).

Am I missing something?
I regularly use a type 2 to type 2. Country Victoria and Adelaide metro.

Reactions: (crunch)
I regularly use a type 2 to type 2. Country Victoria and Adelaide metro.
All depends on where you live.
BYO also pretty common around Sydney.

Some places have a combination of Tesla Destination Chargers and BYO Type 2 - but having BYO provides you with more flexibility (eg. Lane Cove Canopy and Zetland East Village).

I'm probably at 50+ uses of my Type2-2 cable living in an large apartment building that is still struggling to get to a solution.

Reactions: Vostok
I've purchased a Tesla Wall Connector, Tesla Mobile Charging Cable and a Mennekes Type 2-Type 2.
Your car should come with the mobile connector, if the 30/7/22 OD in your signature is accurate

No longer standard for new orders after 8 July

just to be able to charge the vehicle.

You could charge it with just the mobile connector if you wanted to, you're paying for convenience with the wall connector and flexibility with the t2-t2 (think of it as an expensive jerry can 😀 )

Reactions: AlbertParker
Your car should come with the mobile connector, if the 30/7/22 OD in your signature is accurate

No longer standard for new orders after 8 July

You could charge it with just the mobile connector if you wanted to, you're paying for convenience with the wall connector and flexibility with the t2-t2 (think of it as an expensive jerry can 😀 )
I thought I missed out on the charger as I ordered not the 30th July? I've probably gone overkill, but wanted to make sure I'd covered all bases. If we like the Tesla 3, we may consider buying a Tesla Y as well.

It's been a while since this has been posted, and given there was a question about it in the waiting room thread I thought it was worth reposting this excellent write up by Luke Smith.

Charging adaptors made easy - Charging Adaptors — TSL43.info

I was going through the document in the link above. It says in Australia Teslas are delivered with UMC included. There are a few sites that claim that this is not the case. But those are global websites, and not necessarily pointing to the Australian market.

Is UMC still included with Australian deliveries?

Is Tesla wall connector gen 3 compatible with solar ?
What do you mean by "compatible with" ?

If you're looking to automatically adjust your charge rate to only use excess solar production, then you can use something like Charge HQ which talks to your car directly, so it works no matter what you're charging from (wall connector, mobile connector, third party EVSE etc)

Reactions: hk12
What do you mean by "compatible with" ?

If you're looking to automatically adjust your charge rate to only use excess solar production, then you can use something like Charge HQ which talks to your car directly, so it works no matter what you're charging from (wall connector, mobile connector, third party EVSE etc)
Yes, I meant if I need to buy a different charger such as Zappi or special equipment to divert excess solar to the car instead of sending it to the power grid. I will try Charge HQ.

Yes, I meant if I need to buy a different charger such as Zappi or special equipment to divert excess solar to the car instead of sending it to the power grid. I will try Charge HQ.
Or you can go the cheaper more manual way and use your Tesla app to adjust the charge rate of the Tesla charger based on how much excess solar you're using.

Reactions: hk12
I expect to deliver my M3 RWD by the end of Dec 22. I ordered it on the 11th July, just a few days after they stopped supplying new orders with a UMC, but I don't actually recall being given the option to add the UMC to my order. I only found out about that decision a few days after I had placed my order. I would have placed my order earlier if they didn't have such a long wait to test drive.

Do you think I could be getting one? It's really made things more complicated as I'm now not sure whether to order the Tesla Wall connector and have it installed, or just order the UMC. Before I sold my old car I used to do between 5-10K KMs per year, so I don't think I need the Wall Connector because the car will sit at home most days and can charge slowly with free electricity from my 7.8kW solar array.

I've also been a bit hesitant about taking delivery instead of delaying and waiting for a 2023 build, but then I don't want to miss out on USS.

Too many decisions! 😔

I expect to deliver my M3 RWD by the end of Dec 22. I ordered it on the 11th July, just a few days after they stopped supplying new orders with a UMC, but I don't actually recall being given the option to add the UMC to my order. I only found out about that decision a few days after I had placed my order. I would have placed my order earlier if they didn't have such a long wait to test drive.

Do you think I could be getting one? It's really made things more complicated as I'm now not sure whether to order the Tesla Wall connector and have it installed, or just order the UMC. Before I sold my old car I used to do between 5-10K KMs per year, so I don't think I need the Wall Connector because the car will sit at home most days and can charge slowly with free electricity from my 7.8kW solar array.

I've also been a bit hesitant about taking delivery instead of delaying and waiting for a 2023 build, but then I don't want to miss out on USS.

Too many decisions! 😔
If you've got an undercover power point, I'd recommend ordering the UMC (they won't give you one if you ordered after the change date) as based on what you've said it will meet your needs and give you more options should you stay in an AirBnb.