Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that the Model 3/Y can do 7kW on a single phase supply. This is what a typical home install wall connector will be with single phase.

Yep. The Tesla HPWC can do 32A single phase (7 kW) or 16A three phase (11 kW).

My HPWC is DIP-switched internally to 32A 3-phase (22 kW), but of course only delivers max 11kW to my car because the car is the limit. If it was connected to a car that could do 22 kW AC charging, I have no idea if the HPWC would actually deliver it, or whether the HPWC itself is also limited to 11 kW, in which case the DIP switch is a placebo.

I might be recalling the 3.7Kw single phase issue with early Model S with single chargers. I never had the issue as I ordered twin chargers from the start. However I recall an early Model 3 owner who complained loudly when they purchased a Type 2 single phase cable and didn’t get the speed they expected.
I don’t own a Model 3, so hopefully all Model 3 will charge at 7Kw in this situation but do your research.

Is it possible to change the Current limit on the Gen3WC on the fly while charging is underway?
A Tesla car via the API that the tesla app uses is able to change the current amps. This is reasonably reliable and there is chatter that this will be made an official supported API mechanism. If you really mean setting the amps on the Gen3WC, which I think you do, this feature via the undocumented API only works while the Gen3WC is in its initial config mode which only lasts for, I think, 15 minutes. I think there were some techniques to extend this, or reset the 15 minute clock really, but this requires continued API calls to continue to keep the WC in this mode. If this for some reason is lost then it requires physical intervention with the WC to get it back into its config mode. So currently using this method is generally not considered robust enough.

A Tesla car via the API that the tesla app uses is able to change the current amps.
Apologies I was not clear...
But yes I meant using the App:

A4CF2B04-85E3-4E2F-B6DC-CEBA32A3CC3B.jpeg

Apologies I was not clear...
But yes I meant using the App:

View attachment 953680
Ok, sorry you got the 'Charging 404' answer. It should be as simple as setting the current amp limit manually while the car is charging. For automating this there are various API toolkits with I think the most popular being using Home Assistant. ChargeHQ will do an automated solar tracking by varying the charging amps via the API for a fee. If you have a Tesla powerall, tesla will RSN, offer solar tracking from within the Tesla app itself.

Reactions: Quickst
Thanks.
Currently the SMA inverter is a closed proprietary system which does not communicate with anything in the market

A PW unfortunately cannot easily drop into a 3 phase system. Likely I will need one for each phase. So the financial case does not stack up.

There are other possibilities but are not Plug and play and require coding etc which is not my area of expertise.

On a clear day so should have at least 10-12kWh uncontested export between 1030am and 1330pm in winter. If lucky I'll get 3 hrs of 11kW charging potential . Manually adjusting the charging limit should mitigate any import from the grid

Thanks.
Currently the SMA inverter is a closed proprietary system which does not communicate with anything in the market

A PW unfortunately cannot easily drop into a 3 phase system. Likely I will need one for each phase. So the financial case does not stack up.

There are other possibilities but are not Plug and play and require coding etc which is not my area of expertise.

On a clear day so should have at least 10-12kWh uncontested export between 1030am and 1330pm in winter. If lucky I'll get 3 hrs of 11kW charging potential . Manually adjusting the charging limit should mitigate any import from the grid
Manually adjusting is not a bad method.
You should not need three powerwalls in a 3 phase setup. You will not get whole of house backup but you would likely not configure whole of house backup even with single house, some appliances have too large a demand.
For a single phase connected powerwall connected to a 3 phase house will have the Tesla gateway of the powerwall setup configured to monitor all three phases. The powerwall will then export on the single phase to make up for your consumption/import on the other two phases resulting in a net zero import and cost for you. The only sticking point might be if you electricity network provider will not allow you to export to the grid with some form of the rigid max inverter limitation. Talk to a battery installer in your area if you are still keen. They should be familiar with the rules in your location.

The only sticking point might be if you electricity network provider will not allow you to export to the grid with some form of the rigid max inverter limitation
Currently (and luckily) I do not have grid export limits.

In 2022 I exported 22,000 kWh🤣 and on track for similar in calendar year 2023.

I've been told that if I import on 2 phases and export on one, I will still be charged for the import and I'll get paid the FiT for the exporting phase

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardV
Currently (and luckily) I do not have grid export limits.

In 2022 I exported 22,000 kWh🤣 and on track for similar in calendar year 2023.
Grid providers, probably rightly, don't mind larger 3 phase inverters, so have much higher or no limitation on these. They may still have a single phase tied inverter limit which the powerwall might rub up against. For those grid providers that do this I feel it is the wrong approach to have a rigid inverter size limit. A single phase solar inverter exporting its peak at peak solar export time is very different to a single phase battery thats export is generally lower and when it peaks at its max inverter limit does not coincide with a large number of other inverters and is not generally for a sustained period.

so have much higher or no limitation on these. They may still have a single phase tied inverter limit
I'm also lucky as the house is the closest to the street pole transformer- when I export, I come in about 2V under the max street voltage at the 11am to 1pm period . If my neighbours start putting solar arrays it may push the 12 midday street voltage up against the max which will trip the inverter export function.

When that happens a PW might make sense

I'll check the Home Assistant to see how much tinkering that involves.

Ok, sorry you got the 'Charging 404' answer. It should be as simple as setting the current amp limit manually while the car is charging. For automating this there are various API toolkits with I think the most popular being using Home Assistant. ChargeHQ will do an automated solar tracking by varying the charging amps via the API for a fee. If you have a Tesla powerall, tesla will RSN, offer solar tracking from within the Tesla app itself.

Hi RichardV,
Are you saying that the Powerwall and the Tesla car will share information about excess solar production? I have a Powerwall, and only recently received my car (still trying to update the UMC firmware). It seems possible that Tesla would have a option for the car to only charge when excess solar is available, but I have not seen any way to make that happen yet.

Are you saying that the Powerwall and the Tesla car will share information about excess solar production?
Yes, but this feature was only released last weekend, so you will need to wait for both your car and your powerwall to have the latest firmware update.

It's part of Tesla firmware update 2023.26

Charge On Solar
Charge your Tesla with solar energy if you have a Powerwall. You can choose how much charging comes from solar versus other sources.

To set it up, open the Tesla app for your vehicle, tap the “Charge on Solar” message, and follow the instructions. Requires Powerwall v23.12.10 and Tesla app v4.22.5.

Hi RichardV,
Are you saying that the Powerwall and the Tesla car will share information about excess solar production? I have a Powerwall, and only recently received my car (still trying to update the UMC firmware). It seems possible that Tesla would have a option for the car to only charge when excess solar is available, but I have not seen any way to make that happen yet.
The rumour is that RSN, real soon now, yes Tesla will offer this feature. There is a quoted minimum Tesla app version required and Tesla Powerwall version required for the feature to be enabled, though I don't have those versions off hand. The Powerwall Tesla gateway will share its data on the current sensors of what is the current grid export and based on the settings in the Tesla app the car will vary its amp settings, I presume this will come via the mothership though possible that Tesla will perform gateway to car comms directly, but this should be transparent from a user perspective.

The rumour is that RSN, real soon now, yes Tesla will offer this feature. There is a quoted minimum Tesla app version required and Tesla Powerwall version required for the feature to be enabled, though I don't have those versions off hand. The Powerwall Tesla gateway will share its data on the current sensors of what is the current grid export and based on the settings in the Tesla app the car will vary its amp settings, I presume this will come via the mothership though possible that Tesla will perform gateway to car comms directly, but this should be transparent from a user perspective.
Thank you (and for explaining the RSN acronym!). I had read about the upcoming "Charge From Solar" feature in March. I wasn't sure whether it was going to be limited to Wall Chargers somehow. Good to hear from [Zombie] that it is being rolled out. From my earlier reading, we will be able to set a minimum charge level to be maintained from any source, with the car topping up from solar to a higher upper limit. That will suit my situation very well if it works that way.

I am awaiting replacement of a communication module I'm my Gateway (after a very long time of malfunctioning) this week. Hopefully the firmware updates reach the car and Gateway soon.

Thanks, that was the comment by the solar installer when I asked him about PW on one phase. He said I needed 3 for 3phase. Maybe he was trying to sell me 3PW?
I can't comment for other areas, but I am in Qld with three-phase power, a three-phase solar PV inverter and one Powerwall 2 and Gateway 2 backing up circuits on one phase. The downside is that I can't use my solar PV during a power outage (for self-consumption or to charge the Powerwall). Apparently it would be plausible to have three single-phase inverters, in which case one of them could charge the Powerwall on its phase. That would mean the Powerwall is only charged by that phase (1/3 of the total PV output).

It sounds like your installer is still thinking of the way the Gateway 1 worked (couldn't do net metering on three-phase). It is probably worth asking someone else. The company who sold me my Powerwall 2.5 years ago sent a subcontractor who said all sorts of stupid stuff during our initial contact. I reported back to the company and they assured me he was experienced and knew his stuff. Fast forward to me showing him a picture of a Gateway 2 and explaining that he had just installed a Gateway 1.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst