Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A PW unfortunately cannot easily drop into a 3 phase system. Likely I will need one for each phase.

As others have explained, one PW2 is fine in a 3-phase house. That’s my situation and it works exactly as I would want it to work.

I've been told that if I import on 2 phases and export on one, I will still be charged for the import and I'll get paid the FiT for the exporting phase

Nope. I have a single phase inverter. The PW2 exports power to the grid on Phase A to net out the grid consumption on Phases B and C, i.e. the PW2 will discharge B+C on Phase A (provided B+C <= 5kW). So from a net-metering perspective, grid consumption is zero and no FIT is being paid either.

The Tesla App will also show the grid consumption as zero, and total house consumption A+B+C as if the PW2 is supplying the lot.

It sounds like your installer is still thinking of the way the Gateway 1 worked (couldn't do net metering on three-phase).

That’s not right. I have a Gateway 1 (the old grey box style) and it net meters on 3 phases.

I can't comment for other areas, but I am in Qld with three-phase power, a three-phase solar PV inverter and one Powerwall 2 and Gateway 2 backing up circuits on one phase. The downside is that I can't use my solar PV during a power outage (for self-consumption or to charge the Powerwall).

I have 3-phase power, a single phase inverter, and during grid outages, the solar still charges the PW2 and Phase A of the house still works. And if/when the PW2 gets full, solar production is throttled to match house consumption on Phase A, because of course it can’t export any excess to the grid when the grid is down.

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV
How do you get this to work?. When the grid goes down, my 3p inverter also shuts down

I note that @Vostok mentioned having a single-phase inverter. It is possible to have a single-phase inverter for each of your three phases, with a Powerwall on any phase you want. That would allow the Powerwall to charge during a grid outage. In my case, I just have a three-phase inverter, so can't currently charge during an outage.

I think I read some inverters (is it Fronius?) can do it, and some can't (mine is SMA). I have been told for a few years that there is an extra device being developed to allow this to work, so I would be delighted if there is a way to get it to work now.

I note that @Vostok mentioned having a single-phase inverter. It is possible to have a single-phase inverter for each of your three phases, with a Powerwall on any phase you want. That would allow the Powerwall to charge during a grid outage. In my case, I just have a three-phase inverter, so can't currently charge during an outage.

I think I read some inverters (is it Fronius?) can do it, and some can't (mine is SMA). I have been told for a few years that there is an extra device being developed to allow this to work, so I would be delighted if there is a way to get it to work now.
You need a hybrid inverter that will allow you to run off solar & battery in the event of a grid failure.

We're on 3 phase too (though this solution works as long as you get the appropriate phase-version of Fronius inverter). We have a Fronius Gen24 (hybrid) hooked up to 20kW panels and a 22kW battery. We can pretty much run anything in the house (including ducted aircon) in the event of a grid outage, using any power from solar panels first, and battery second.

I don't have an EV to charge yet (it's on order), but see no reason why I couldn't continue charging in the event of a grid outage - every other circuit in the house works as normal.

You need a hybrid inverter that will allow you to run off solar & battery in the event of a grid failure.

We're on 3 phase too (though this solution works as long as you get the appropriate phase-version of Fronius inverter). We have a Fronius Gen24 (hybrid) hooked up to 20kW panels and a 22kW battery. We can pretty much run anything in the house (including ducted aircon) in the event of a grid outage, using any power from solar panels first, and battery second.

I don't have an EV to charge yet (it's on order), but see no reason why I couldn't continue charging in the event of a grid outage - every other circuit in the house works as normal.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the people who installed our PV system years ago didn't offer the hybrid inverter option, and instead told us (as did a couple of others) that we simply wouldn't be able to charge a battery (which we added later) during an outage. I don't want to throw away my SMA inverter when it still has many years of expected life, but do wish I had pushed a bit harder with the installers at the time. Fortunately, prolonged grid outages are not very common.

A question please for those who know - in preparation for an incoming Model Y, I created an account on PlugShare, just to keep an eye on/research non-Tesla Superchargers that might be on my regular routes (my commute is a 350km round trip from the Hunter Valley to Sydney once a week).

The account then set up the plugs it thought I could use, and excluded those I can't - but something is nagging me that it might not be 100% accurate.

It's left the plugs "Tesla" and "Tesla Fast" selected, but I didn't think they were usable on a Model Y in Australia? Could anyone please offer some guidance me on which ones I actually should be selecting (other than CCS2 and the Tesla Superchargers - those I already have)?

A question please for those who know - in preparation for an incoming Model Y, I created an account on PlugShare, just to keep an eye on/research non-Tesla Superchargers that might be on my regular routes (my commute is a 350km round trip from the Hunter Valley to Sydney once a week).

The account then set up the plugs it thought I could use, and excluded those I can't - but something is nagging me that it might not be 100% accurate.

It's left the plugs "Tesla" and "Tesla Fast" selected, but I didn't think they were usable on a Model Y in Australia? Could anyone please offer some guidance me on which ones I actually should be selecting (other than CCS2 and the Tesla Superchargers - those I already have)?
Were you assuming you wouldn't be able to use those chargers because of the shape of the plug shown in the icon? That's just the US version being shown. The Australian Tesla fast chargers are Type 2/CCS Combo plugs (like pretty much every DC charger offers now), and the Tesla destination chargers are the same as the Wall Connector (i.e. a Type 2 plug). They work with Model Y.

Any site tagged with "Tesla" or "Tesla Fast" in Australia will be useable (we never had any of the NACS-type chargers installed here). At Australian sites in Plugshare, "Tesla" is often used to tag Tesla Destination Chargers (some of which only reliably work for Teslas) and "Tesla Fast" is used to tag the Supercharger sites that have the old modified Type 2 plug that Model S and X can use for DC fast charging (but those all also have the newer CCS2 plug as well).

CCS/SAE, Tesla, Tesla Fast, Type 2
3Phase (these often mean tesla destination chargers)
Wall (but you need a portable UMC charger)

For @Midnight Man’s benefit:
  • “CCS/SAE” means CCS2 here - the big plug that is on every DC fast charger in the country and supports all Model 3/Ys.
  • “Tesla Fast” in Plugshare speak means Tesla Superchargers - obviously compatible with every Tesla
  • ”Tesla” in Plugshare speak means Tesla destination chargers. These are AC chargers (hence useful only if you are stopping somewhere for an hour or three). All will charge a Tesla and some will charge non-Tesla EVs depending on their configuration and hardware variant.
  • ”Type 2” is the AC part of the big CCS2 plug. It’s the same plug as on the end of your UMC or the HPWC if you have one. Some Type 2 chargers are tethered or have a Type 2 lead plugged in (if it hasn’t been nicked by someone 🫤) others are BYO Type 2 cable. Again, only useful if stopping for an hour or three.
  • ”3 Phase” is the 5-pin 20+ Amp sockets often found in outdoor venues, showgrounds, campgrounds, caravan parks and the like. To use these you need the right adaptor for your UMC or the JuiceBooster with the right tail. These days, EV drivers only need this if they are travelling to relatively remote locations. Typically used for overnight charging or topping up wherever you are staying.
  • ”Wall” is a bog-standard 10A or 15A outlet. Very slow trickle charging using your UMC, but better than nothing if nothing is the alternative 😄
TL;DR - you are talking about a 350 km round trip commute where I expect speed is of the essence - only select “Tesla Fast” and “CCS/SAE” plug types In Plugshare. Ignore the rest.

3phase in Plugshare can mean a 3 phase type 2 charger such as a Tesla Wall charger, a 3 phase non Tesla charger, a 3 phase socket without a charger
Three phase should be a three phase socket only.

3phase-20Aand32A.png

If you see it used for anything else then it's mislabelled and you should submit an edit

Reactions: RichardV
Many thanks to everyone who was able to clarify my confusion on charging ports - the confusion came because of the "image" of the plug type in PlugShare - exactly as @JonDarian had noted!

I'll go fix up my PlugShare settings now :)

Also - in reading the replies and many other comments around the forums, it sounds like I should organise a UMC charger, and Mennekes Type 2 cable to carry around at all times?

I'm planning on installing a Fronius WattPilot (J22 Go) at home, as I am fully into the Fronius ecosystem for Solar, and have 3 phase. I believe the J22 Go woll give me the best AC charging speed (11kW) at home, and I could take the whole kit with me for long trips, enabling us to use a 3 phase outlet, as well as anything else supported by a CCS (Type 2) port, or 10A, 15A wall plug etc.

Have I missed anything in my research and understanding please?

I am not familiar with the Fronius you describe. If it can handle inputs from CCS, 10A and 15A, then it already does everything the Mennekes cable and standard UMC kit do (and better, since the UMC currently can't update you the full 10A and 15A)

For anyone considering getting a Mennekes cable "just in case", have a look on Plugshare to get a sense of how likely you are to need it in your area. I am glad to have it, but many people will never use it.

@Midnight Man
The decision tree is:

1)Charging equipment at home
2)Charging equipment for day to day driving
3)Charging equipment for long trips

The Fronius watt pilot Go is versatile.
I wish I knew about it. (Reviewed by Ludicrous Feed last year)

It does requires buying a Mennekes Type 2 to Type 2 charging cable to connect it to the car.

Sounds like it has adapters for single phase 15A. Does it have 10A adapter?

So you don't need anything extra IMO unless it does not have 10A adapter?. But that falls into the decision re charging equipment for long trips - I would not go an get a UMC - you may well not need it - just see what the long trip actually entails first...

If it does have a 10A adapter you have everything covered

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Man
The Fronius watt pilot Go is versatile.
I wish I knew about it. (Reviewed by Ludicrous Feed last year)

It does requires buying a Mennekes Type 2 to Type 2 charging cable to connect it to the car.

Sounds like it has adapters for single phase 15A. Does it have 10A adapter?
Thank you! I never thought about seeing if there were adapters for the Fronius :)

At worst, I could get my electrician to make some (e.g., 10A if it doesn't already exist).

Thanks for the idea - it'll save duplication!