Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This alternative doesn't have automatic plug recognition but setting the charging current in the car manually takes seconds, and comes with only the tails
I'm planning to use ChargeHQ anyway so this one probably makes more sense. Thanks for the tip.
It looks like you select the max current on the charger before plugging in the car. This would be even easier than doing it in the car and would be the preferred method if using chargeHQ as you wouldn't need to fiddle with the max current settings in chargeHQ. Although, when you're at home presumably you're always going to use the same outlet, so you'd only have to change it once.

The other thing I would check is that the max current setting on the charger survives a power failure.

@-Dave You're lucky getting your salary packaging provider to allow you to package charging equipment. I haven't been able to. Any luck with home electricity usage?

Reactions: -Dave
You're lucky getting your salary packaging provider to allow you to package charging equipment. I haven't been able to.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised.
Any luck with home electricity usage?
Not at this stage. I was told they don't allow it because it's too hard to meter. They will only reimburse for public charging where you're issued a receipt.

Interestingly, a few days after they told me that, the ATO released draft guidelines for claiming a fixed rate per km (I think it was about 4c/km) so maybe this will change. It's a fast-moving space.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised.

Not at this stage. I was told they don't allow it because it's too hard to meter. They will only reimburse for public charging where you're issued a receipt.

Interestingly, a few days after they told me that, the ATO released draft guidelines for claiming a fixed rate per km (I think it was about 4c/km) so maybe this will change. It's a fast-moving space.
This is the draft guidelines for EV charging deduction as part of Novated lease, https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/view.htm?docid="DPC/PCG2023D1/NAT/ATO/00001"

Key points
  • Deduction of 4.2c/km
  • Claim for kilometers since April 2023 (make a note of where you are/what you think you were at the time)
  • Choose either a deduction flat 4.2c/km deduction or commercial charging, can't double dip

It looks like you select the max current on the charger before plugging in the car. Correct, the AMPS button steps the charger from 8A to 32A in 1A increments. This would be even easier than doing it in the car and would be the preferred method if using chargeHQ as you wouldn't need to fiddle with the max current settings in chargeHQ. Although, when you're at home presumably you're always going to use the same outlet, so you'd only have to change it once. If you changed it in the car the car remembers the amperage setting and the location (your home) so will default to that amperage next time you charge at home

The other thing I would check is that the max current setting on the charger survives a power failure. The charger remembers the last amperage setting between power cycles.

@Nickdp That's all good to know, thank you. As Dave was talking about using chargeHQ, there's probably more scope for stuffing something up and having it adjust the charge current in the car above the max for the circuit. (Charge hq is a software system that uses the Tesla API to start and stop charging and change the current. It can be used to match charging power to solar production.) Having the evse tell the car the max current when it's plugged in for this use case is probably easier and safer.

Picking up our YP on Friday. SA said that it does come with the cable.
He also added' incredibly ' so not sure what that meant.
Maybe because it was due end March?
SO the cable was in there. and it had the front sensors as well. Interesting info given out at pickup. Basically Zilch. Now trying to find out about Roadside Assist.
I count us as being fairly computer literate. we are in late 60's , god help anyone who isn't up to speed with using a Smartphone or google to find your answers. Sometimes a Manual is helpful.....

this post was edited

So a solid green light on the Wall Connector means it’s been commissioned and now, like ME, awaits the car, right?

I think the guy who installed it set it to 20amp max, is that right?

And not having used one/seen one ever, is this normal at night time?? In a dark garage

IMG_9074.jpeg

It's right if that's how the electrician sized the circuit and breaker it's on.

Green light means it's set up and ready to charge.
One hopefully Final question.

Having got this green light, am I ever supposed to be able to reconnect to the http://192.xxx.xx.x webpage for the settings of the Wall Connector?

Because I can’t…on any device or PC or Mac in the house. All I get is, for example, “Safari couldn’t connect because the server stopped responding”.

Done this by scanning the QR code on the instruction leaflet that came with the connector, and done it manually, all to no avail.

Having got this green light, am I ever supposed to be able to reconnect to the http://192.xxx.xx.x webpage for the settings of the Wall Connector?

Because I can’t…on any device or PC or Mac in the house. All I get is, for example, “Safari couldn’t connect because the server stopped responding”.
You can only connect to that 192.169.92.1 address (the one on the QR code) if you're connected to the Wall Connector's own WiFi network (TeslaWallConnector_nnnnnn).

If the wall connector is on your local WiFi, it'll have a different address there handed out by your router. You'll have to use that address instead to connect from your local network - you can find out what it is by temporarily re-enabling the Wall Connector WiFi and looking at the WiFi settings. This page shows how.

You can only connect to that 192.169.92.1 address (the one on the QR code) if you're connected to the Wall Connector's own WiFi network (TeslaWallConnector_nnnnnn).

If the wall connector is on your local WiFi, it'll have a different address there handed out by your router. You'll have to use that address instead to connect from your local network - you can find out what it is by temporarily re-enabling the Wall Connector WiFi and looking at the WiFi settings. This page shows how.

Thank you so much!

When the wall connector is first powered on it broadcasts its wifi network for a couple of minutes then, if commissioned, stops. You cannot do anything to its setup by accessing it through your wifi network and router assigned IP address.

Be careful changing the maximum current setting. Before doing so you'd need to know what size wiring was used, the size of the breaker and the maximum capacity of your electricity service.