Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Hotels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larry, what other EV's come with a NEMA 14-50 portable charger?

Personally, I would like to see a few J1722's and a few few NEMA 14-50. You would be able to have facilities for charging (4) vehicles, for well under $10K in install costs, depending on the distance from the where the power is.

As I understand it the original poster's concept could be NEMA 14-50 outlets which only cost a few hundred dollars to install. This would certainly be in the reach of smaller hotels to attract Model S owners, and it would have the added advantage of being compatible with other EVs as well.

I called the St. Louis Hyatt at the Arch about 2 weeks ago inquiring about charging and if nothing was available if they would consider installing something. They called back today. Bryan with valet parking had contacted engineering and the are willing and able to install an outlet and he was contacting me for details on the outlet type. I did go ahead and suggest NEMA 14-50 thinking pushing for a J1772 might be pushing my luck due to the logistics of sourcing and purchasing something like that.

He's promised to call me to confirm once the outlet is installed. Have to say I'm thrilled with the response. Mind you, I gave them almost 3 months lead time, but it's a great place to start and virtually assures that we'll stay with them any time we're in STL.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I called the St. Louis Hyatt at the Arch about 2 weeks ago inquiring about charging and if nothing was available if they would consider installing something. They called back today. Bryan with valet parking had contacted engineering and the are willing and able to install an outlet and he was contacting me for details on the outlet type. I did go ahead and suggest NEMA 14-50 thinking pushing for a J1772 might be pushing my luck due to the logistics of sourcing and purchasing something like that.

He's promised to call me to confirm once the outlet is installed. Have to say I'm thrilled with the response. Mind you, I gave them almost 3 months lead time, but it's a great place to start and virtually assures that we'll stay with them any time we're in STL.

Evan, Via Tapatalk
that's what I'm talking ' about!!!

I called the St. Louis Hyatt at the Arch about 2 weeks ago inquiring about charging and if nothing was available if they would consider installing something. They called back today. Bryan with valet parking had contacted engineering and the are willing and able to install an outlet and he was contacting me for details on the outlet type.

That's amazing and speaks volumes about Hyatt hotels. I will make it a point to "prefer" Hyatt hotels when I travel, whether by Model S or not. A number of Best Westerns around my area are putting in chargers... same goes for them.

That's amazing and speaks volumes about Hyatt hotels. I will make it a point to "prefer" Hyatt hotels when I travel, whether by Model S or not. A number of Best Westerns around my area are putting in chargers... same goes for them.

Of course, there's the Courtyard by Marriott that efusco already mentioned that had a J1772 without even asking... They should get even more love than Hyatt. :D

Of course, there's the Courtyard by Marriott that efusco already mentioned that had a J1772 without even asking... They should get even more love than Hyatt. :D

Sure. I was just thinking that he asked for something where nothing exists and Hyatt obliged. I haven't noticed many chargers at Courtyards around here, but it's good to know they're adding them as well. I guess my point is that I will try and patronize EV-friendly companies when I can. Sometimes I'll tweet out a "thank-you" with a picture of my car charging, and generally I notice that the host appreciates the gesture with a response or a re-tweet.

Sure. I was just thinking that he asked for something where nothing exists and Hyatt obliged. I haven't noticed many chargers at Courtyards around here, but it's good to know they're adding them as well. I guess my point is that I will try and patronize EV-friendly companies when I can. Sometimes I'll tweet out a "thank-you" with a picture of my car charging, and generally I notice that the host appreciates the gesture with a response or a re-tweet.

I'm just messing with you. Several chains have an EV program -- Marriott's is aggressive, but won't get good coverage for years.

Larry, what other EV's come with a NEMA 14-50 portable charger?

More accurately I didn't say other EV's come with a NEMA 14-50 portable charger. I frankly don't know what other EV's come with. I said a NEMA 14-50 outlet "was compatible with other EVs."

Other EV owners can purchase charging equipment that have a NEMA 14-50 plug on one end and a J1772 connector on the other.
Home Depot sells a several. It's true that the Home Depots chargers are not as elegant and streamlined as Tesla's mobile connectors, and are more suited to be mounted on the wall, but they nevertheless can be used.

A less expensive and better fit for a portable application comes from Clipper Creek. They sell the LCS-25 for less than $600. It comes with an unterminated cable on one end that can be fitted with a NEMA 14-50 plug and a J1772 connector on the other. It is fairly streamlined and would easily fit in the trunk. Here's a photo.

a6473a313e482f6c551a4c_l.jpg

Larry

I am a model s owner as well as a hotel owner and operator and I couldn't agree more on this topic! I had the foresight to do exactly what this topic suggests hotel owners/operators do, install EV chargers for the benefit of traveling guests and use as a marketing tool for the property. I have installed 6 level 2 chargers at my hotel on I -5 in Patterson,Ca. If in calif. please come by for a free charge, stay the night, play golf at Diablo Grande and later on have dinner and drinks. regards......Dominic

I am a model s owner as well as a hotel owner and operator and I couldn't agree more on this topic! I had the foresight to do exactly what this topic suggests hotel owners/operators do, install EV chargers for the benefit of traveling guests and use as a marketing tool for the property. I have installed 6 level 2 chargers at my hotel on I -5 in Patterson,Ca. If in calif. please come by for a free charge, stay the night, play golf at Diablo Grande and later on have dinner and drinks. regards......Dominic

Just out of curiosity, what type of usage rates are you getting on the chargers?

$10K for a 14-50 is really high, which is all we need. As Tesla is the only EV suitable for a trip, nothing more is needed.
We've used our LEAF for a number of overnight trips within our region (SoCal). With overnight charging and en-route DC fast charging (CHAdeMO), it's do-able. I had the portable EVSE that came with the LEAF "upgraded" by Ingineer to accept 240 V and acquired an adapter for 14-50 outlets, all for about $300. Of course, J-1772 is more universal, and the cost of a "dumb" J-1772 EVSE isn't that much.

That said, I look forward to one day being able to take "real" road trips in a Tesla. :)

Ecotality/Blink has built partnerships with several national chains (i.e. Sears, Kroger/Fry's, Kohl's). All that's great, but not sure why they havent yet gotten one with a national hotel chain like Marriott (Courtyard/Residence Inn), Hyatt, or Sheraton.

Installing EV chargers drives business

I had to travel to Merced this weekend. Although Patterson isn't particularly convenient to Merced I stayed at Dominic's Best Western in Patterson to take advantage of the EV chargers. Dominic got my business because of the EV chargers. The hotels in Merced lost my business because they do not have chargers.

I highly recommend the Best Western Plus Villa del Lago in Patterson, CA whether traveling in an EV or not. The facilities and service are excellent. The EV chargers brought me to the hotel. The quality of the hotel will bring me back.

I highly recommend the Best Western Plus Villa del Lago in Patterson, CA whether traveling in an EV or not. The facilities and service are excellent. The EV chargers brought me to the hotel. The quality of the hotel will bring me back.

Excellent. A number of Best Western hotels here in Ontario are also installing charging stations. I make it a point to stay with them as well.

Guys as a new member I may have missed this but are there apps for iOS / Android that showcase hotels that offer charging?

Not that I'm aware of but go ahead and use Plugshare. You know, roughly, where you want to stay. Tap on a few charger icons and see what it says. For example, I found a charger in a garage in Asheville, NC that was next door to two hotels. Wouldn't have shown up if I were only looking for hotels.

Rob, you are so right. Just a few phone calls, some luck and time is all that it takes.
I would hope that someone would organize a mailing campaign to B&B's and desireable hotels in a region of interest and send out a request to electrify, along with useful information on what's involved. No more than 1 page, front and back, with pointers to useful information and followup facts.
Sadly, this sounds like that might be a job for bigger organizations, especially if it got any more extravagent. With a typical success rate of 5% it might take a while tho.
-R