Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cable Button doesn't open charging door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I click the charging cable button, it doesn't open charging door. Just picked up at year end.

I remember I also tried at the Supercharger, and the charging button on the charger didn't work either.

Any thoughts?

If its asleep it won’t unlock the charge door. Open any door, wait for the contactors to close, you’ll hear that, and push the button.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Sounds like it's time for a service center appointment.

Can you open the charging door by pushing on it, at the bottom? Can you open it from the screen or from the app? If not, you would have the acute problem of being unable to charge. I don't know whether the mechanical emergency release also opens the charge door.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have similar problems. Except sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It frequently doesn’t work immediately after pulling into my garage, so I know the car isn’t asleep and isn’t locked. No real pattern.

I had a mobile service visit for something else and I asked about the button. But, of course, it was working on that day.

Sounds like it's time for a service center appointment.

Can you open the charging door by pushing on it, at the bottom? Can you open it from the screen or from the app? If not, you would have the acute problem of being unable to charge. I don't know whether the mechanical emergency release also opens the charge door.

I’ve been opening it by pushing on it. It also opens from the screen. Only thing not working is the charging button.

I have similar problems. Except sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It frequently doesn’t work immediately after pulling into my garage, so I know the car isn’t asleep and isn’t locked. No real pattern.

I had a mobile service visit for something else and I asked about the button. But, of course, it was working on that day.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one...please let me know what happens!

I've had the same issue with an October build. It works most of the time, but fails when the car is obviously not asleep as well.

So far it has only happened with the mobile connector, though, and not with an actual supercharger.

If the little, postage stamp-sized magnet has fallen off from the underside of the charge port door it will make the door unresponsive to the button push.

6C224526-96E6-47B1-8CA5-FB532AD91E65.jpeg
9EDF81F9-F5BA-4D61-9D1F-1CAE85FDFEA3.jpeg

I picked up my car in early November - and had the same problem. I picked at it with a finger nail, it opened, and since then, it has opened just fine. It could be as simple as just a smidgeon too much paint around the edges.

My Tesla home charging trigger for my Model 3 (2019) slowly stopped working about 6 mos ago. I had Mobile Service at my home for a different issue and mentioned it. We could not replicate it at that time. However, a few weeks later I had them back for something else and the trigger would not work at all. It opened the Service cars port (Model S) but not mine.
He promptly replaced the entire charge port within about 10 minutes. Under warranty. I was surprised he had the part in his car. Happy ending for me.
IMG_D6DDCDC62400-1.jpeg

Sounds like 2 different issues here, and I've had both with my Model Y.

1) Door opens only if you pry with your finger. I think that's because the rubber gasket is stuck to the housing, especially during warm weather. I just put a light film of vasoline on the gasket...problem solved.

2) The door doesn't open when you press button on charging handle. For me, the car needs to be "awake," meaning I need to have my phone nearby, and the car needs to recognize it. If it doesn't, open the app. You will hear some noise as the car "awakes" and then the charging door will open when you press the charge handle button.

Hope this helps!