TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charging cable question-Energy usage when not charging`

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by larmor, Sep 7, 2017.

1. larmor

larmor Active Member

Simple question: how much energy, if any, is consumed if the charging cable is left plugged into the wall, but not to the car-- ie the green light on the cable is on..

thnx

• Like x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Interesting question... we could use a Kill-A-Watt on the circuit in the breaker box to see, and maybe someone has done so? It should be on the order (close order) of mW's, since those should be LEDs. There is no other power consumed, no relays held in, no metering circuitry....

3. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

My HPWC draws 3.6W when not charging.

• Informative x 4
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

So, in a month, it's about 2 kWh (2592 Wh), or on the order of $0.26, at 11 cents a kWh, here in Virginia.

Like an old nightlight! :D

• Like x 1
  5. larmor

larmor Active Member

Thanks! I injured my shoulder, and this will relieve removing the charging cable from the wall.

6. Thax

Thax Member

My wife also asked this same question. I left it plugged in (mostly because I'm lazy haha). But I figured the power draw is negligible and I'd much rather pay it instead of the wear-and-tear on the socket and plug (and my muscles & bones :p haha)

7. arnis

arnis Member

That is a lot. I hope EU will soon add EVSE's into the list of things that should comply to regulations:)
    0,5W should be enough for controller and LED. That is still 250kW of constant draw per half million Model 3's.

More about Vampires:
    One Watt Initiative - Wikipedia

• Like x 1