Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charging equipment not ready"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

I took delivery of my new Model 3 today. Best day ever.

I had a Wallbox tethered charger installed at home a couple of weeks ago. When I plug my Tesla, I get a notification in the car: "Charging equipment not ready"

In the wallbox app I can see a notification "Connected. Waiting for car demand"

Do you know what this could be? I've emailed the installers to see what they can do, but have you had any issues like this?

Just note that if I use the normal wall plug it charges fine.

Do I need any adaptor besides the type2 tethered cable?

Also, in my Tesla app I can't see any "upgrade" options. Is that because my car is a lease? What upgrade options am I missing?

Thanks for your help

• Love
Reactions: Spacep0d
The "charging equipment not ready" message is displayed when the charge point is not sending a valid "charging is available at XX A" signal, via the Control Pilot in the connector. The normal reason for this is that the charge point is not switched on, or is stuck in State A, and not acknowledging that the car is requesting power.

Could be a problem with the charge point app (not the Tesla app) not having enabled the charge point, but it's more likely to be a problem with the charge point itself not being enabled for some reason. It's nothing at all to do with the car or the Tesla app, so my advice would be to get the charge point installer back out and attach their test box to the connector and check it out. This only takes a couple of minutes, and will show whether or not the charge point is at fault (and, as the UMC works fine, it pretty much has to be a charge point problem).

The fact that the charge point is reporting that it's connected means that the integrity of the Control Pilot to car connection seems OK, as the car has loaded it down to the State B, but for some reason the charge point has not turned on the PWM on the Control Pilot to tell the car how much charge current is available. The charge point installer may be able to do remote diagnostics to give a better idea of the issue.

Reactions: Roy W. and ringi
The "charging equipment not ready" message is displayed when the charge point is not sending a valid "charging is available at XX A" signal, via the Control Pilot in the connector. The normal reason for this is that the charge point is not switched on, or is stuck in State A, and not acknowledging that the car is requesting power.

Could be a problem with the app not having enabled the charge point, but it's more likely to be a problem with the charge point itself not being enabled for some reason. It's nothing at all to do with the car or the Tesla app, so my advice would be to get the charge point installer back out and attach their test box to the connector and check it out. This only takes a couple of minutes, and will show whether or not the charge point is at fault (and, as the UMC works fine, it pretty much has to be a charge point problem).
Thanks for your reply, I've asked the installer to come take a look so hopefully it's an easy fix. Not sure why they didn't test it before marking the job as completed but oh well...

Try pushing the connector into the car a bit harder, I had a similar issue when my M3P was brand new, the port was tight, I knew my charger worked as I also had an I3.
I'll try that tomorrow again, and I'll feel really stupid if it works. Would the app say "Connected. Waiting for car demand" if it was not properly pushed in place though?

Ok so the car is going through the correct sequence. Double-check on the connection force bit as per above from @dctek , I hadn’t realised that could happen on some cars

But does sound like the external supplying device isn’t happy
Definitely worth a shot pushing it further, I'll try that first thing tomorrow

Thanks for your help guys, I'll wait for the installers to come and check. I've also contacted the manufacturers of the charger to see if I'm doing anything wrong.

Definitely worth a shot pushing it further, I'll try that first thing tomorrow

Thanks for your help guys, I'll wait for the installers to come and check. I've also contacted the manufacturers of the charger to see if I'm doing anything wrong.

Worth a try, as there is a deliberate difference in the pin length on the pilot pin, so that it disconnects first and shuts down the on board charger.

The box you have fitted with the power cable coming from it isn't the charger, BTW, the charger is built in to the car. The box is an AC charge point, and is just a mains connector and a contactor to turn it on and off safely, there is no charger circuitry in it. In essence the charge point is just an intelligent weatherproof mains outlet.

Reactions: ringi
Hi guys

I took delivery of my new Model 3 today. Best day ever.

I had a Wallbox tethered charger installed at home a couple of weeks ago. When I plug my Tesla, I get a notification in the car: "Charging equipment not ready"

In the wallbox app I can see a notification "Connected. Waiting for car demand"

Do you know what this could be? I've emailed the installers to see what they can do, but have you had any issues like this?

Just note that if I use the normal wall plug it charges fine.

Do I need any adaptor besides the type2 tethered cable?

Also, in my Tesla app I can't see any "upgrade" options. Is that because my car is a lease? What upgrade options am I missing?

Thanks for your help

Congrats on your new Model 3! :D I'm only three weeks in so I remember that day so well. Good luck with the charger!

Reactions: Rustybkts
The charger seems to be working OK, as it' seems to have been tested with the UMC, so the problem seems to be with the charge point, rather than the car (the AC charger is built-in to the car, it's not an external bit of kit, like a supercharger).

Worth a try, as there is a deliberate difference in the pin length on the pilot pin, so that it disconnects first and shuts down the on board charger.

The box you have fitted with the power cable coming from it isn't the charger, BTW, the charger is built in to the car. The box is an AC charge point, and is just a mains connector and a contactor to turn it on and off safely, there is no charger circuitry in it. In essence the charge point is just an intelligent weatherproof mains outlet.
You're absolutely right, I got used to call it charger and now I keep getting it wrong

Congrats on your new Model 3! :D I'm only three weeks in so I remember that day so well. Good luck with the charger!
Thanks mate! I spent the whole evening cleaning the car, buying accessories, trying every option and binge watching Tesla
youtube videos. Like a kid in a candy store

Reactions: M3noob
I had that problem with my Tesla Wall Charger setup but only after 18 months of perfect operation.

It was a sign that the actual cable was going bad - one of the two signal cables inside the big bundle had got a crimp. Plug the cable in to the car and I'd either get "Charging Equipment Not Ready" or "Charging Fault".

So I'm with everyone here saying "check the charge point" but also equally important: if you can use a different cable between the charge point and car, try that too.

• Informative
Reactions: LongRanger
I have the same charger but no car yet.

in the app, is there a play button or a pause button underneath the charge limit circle?

it should be a pause button when it’s charging, if it’s a play button try pressing it.

I had that problem with my Tesla Wall Charger setup but only after 18 months of perfect operation.

It was a sign that the actual cable was going bad - one of the two signal cables inside the big bundle had got a crimp. Plug the cable in to the car and I'd either get "Charging Equipment Not Ready" or "Charging Fault".

So I'm with everyone here saying "check the charge point" but also equally important: if you can use a different cable between the charge point and car, try that too.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it's a tethered charger so I don't think I can try another cable.

I have the same charger but no car yet.

in the app, is there a play button or a pause button underneath the charge limit circle?

it should be a pause button when it’s charging, if it’s a play button try pressing it.
Thanks. The issue I have is that the play Button is greyed out, even when I plug the cable. So it won't let me press it. In fact, if I scheduled a charge for the following minute, when it reaches the time it doesn't charge, it shows the same message "waiting for car demand"

Is the cable locking in the car port or can you leave it a few moments and pull it out?
If the latter, have a look in the car port with a torch and Check for any lumps of detritus that’s preventing the plug from being pushed right home

sorry, disregard. I saw that the granny charger works!
Must be the Wallbox