Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Like the Orlando area, the Sarasota, Mantee and Tampa areas have plans to install chargers in advance of demand.

Battle cry against emissions: 'Charge!'

Before many of the cars are even sold here, a federal push to expand the technology will bring at least 30 charging stations to Sarasota and Manatee counties and at least 150 more to the Tampa Bay region by the end of 2012. The $8,000 cost per station will be paid by the ChargePoint America program, subsidized by a $37 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy.

Larry

ECOtality: Electric Car Charging Leader Admits to Falling Behind | PluginCars.com

Lame excuse of the week.

So far, only about 3,000 of the 14,000 chargers (plus 300 commercial units) have been installed, a less-than-scheduled number that ECOtality attributes to the unexpectedly slow rate of LEAF introductions (caused in part by the Japanese tsunami and hurricane).
"We expected to be further along with the residential EV Project installations," said Don Karner, president of ECOtality North America, in an interview with PluginCars.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I just got back from charging my Leaf at a public chargepoint, and for those that don't know, you can configure for email notifications. Both of these showed up on my phone:

NissanCarwings said:
charging stopped
YOURLEAF stopped charging. the vehicle's battery is currently at 10 of 12 bars.

CoulombChargePoint said:
The station at which your vehicle is charging, {LOCATION}, has detected that the plug has been removed from the vehicle, and therefore your vehicle is no longer charging. Please physically inspect the vehicle, the charging station, and restart the charging session if necessary.

Thank you,
The ChargePoint Network!

By the way, my vehicle was full a few minutes earlier I had received this message:
CoulombChargePoint said:
The station at which your vehicle is charging, {LOCATION}, has detected that the vehicle is drawing very little power. This typically means the vehicle is fully charged, but may mean it is configured for delayed charging. The vehicle has accepted 3.476745 kWh and has been plugged in for 01:15:10 (hh:mm:ss)

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the notifications I get from the ChargePoints. It's kind of amusing to get the 'unplugged' message buzzing in my pocket just as a turn towards the freeway.

Something really cool: all the ChargePoints under the building I work in were upgraded today to the new two-headed J1772 units - by snapping in new pieces. While I was charging - without disrupting the charge! How cool is that?

I like the iPhone app for coloumb, too, allowing monitoring of charging while away from your car.

261693_1410550440318_1729220365_646603_7278780_n.jpg

Some nice writing.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1679617/...-is-what-will-drive-electric-vehicle-adoption

With announced EV models multiplying fast, the next big challenge is to scale up the national charging infrastructure and ensure grid readiness. Indeed, for EVs to hit a virtuous cycle--where more sales help lower the price, and the lower price begets more sales--plug-in vehicles must appeal to mainstream drivers, beyond the early adopters who have bought so far...
The grid must also be adapted to support new technology developments around faster EV charging. Fast-chargers, which work at twice or more the voltage of home chargers, can deliver more power to EVs at a quicker rate, and thus are an attractive option for public charging sites. But while they’re more convenient, they also will be more expensive, and most grids are not currently prepared to support them. Consider that, today, a car’s tank can be refilled with gasoline in roughly four minutes. For tomorrow’s EV rechargers to match that experience, it will mean delivering the same amount of electric power used by a grocery store during that recharge time.

Last edited:
I have the impression they do not understand 90% of the time cars are charged at home at night, and fast-charging wil happen only in max 5 to 6 % of the remaining time!!!

Probably higher than that with Tesla because there is a decent range. I can't see ever plugging in at work (not that work would ever put in EVSEs). Of course, if I'm at a business that has a free EVSE... Fast charging is really for trips.

Came across this article in R&T

Eight Automakers Working with SAE on Combined Charging System to Consolidate All Types of EV Charging

Does anyone know yet what type of plug Telsa will work with. They are not mentioned in the blog post but just about every other manufacturer and SAE are and they all seem to have agreed on one smart plug type. I hope for all of our sake that Tesla will be part of that standard. I don't want another mess like the cell phone charger plug shuffle that is just now starting to standardize.