Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging keeps stopping.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just checked with my electrician and asked him about the charging circuit that he installed back in 2013 (when I had my Model S). They used 6 gauge wire. I assume that gauge of wire is appropriate?
I see this all over these forums where people only mention the gauge of the wire. That is not specific enough, because there are different amp ratings for the same gauge, depending on whether it is wires in conduit, or if it is Romex cable. In your case, since it's a 14-50 with a 50A circuit, then sure, 6 gauge would be sufficient, regardless of which type it is. But if it were a 60A circuit, the answers would be yes or no, depending on which was used.

So I just checked with my electrician and asked him about the charging circuit that he installed back in 2013 (when I had my Model S). They used 6 gauge wire. I assume that gauge of wire is appropriate?
More than sufficient for the 32 amps a UMC should take, assuming its not a multi-hundred foot run. Even if it WAS a problem, the fact your daughters car doesn't have a problem with it means the problem lives in your car.

32 amps is the charging current for both my 3 and my daughter's 3. I've also tried charging my car at 16 amps, but it still quits after 10 - 15 minutes. So when I charge, I just plug it in and charge as long as I can, and check back periodically on the app, then restart charging as necessary

Reactions: Jtlrwells
An update: when I tried to charge my car a few days ago, I ran into the same problems. It would charge for roughly 10-15 minutes, then stop randomly. I had to restart charging about half a dozen times to charge the battery.

On Wednesday night, Apple updated the operating system of my iPhone 11 Pro to v. 15.1. Last night, my car charged flawlessly without interruption. I'm wondering if there was something on my iPhone, prior to the software update that was somehow sending a signal to the car to interrupt charging. I still have an appointment with an electrician scheduled for next week to look at the circuit.

I am experiencing the same issue M3. Facts: 1) car charges flawlessly every night on its dedicated scheduled charge 2) car simply stops without any messages at all only after attempting a manual - start - charge (either through the app or in the car) 3) This car has *2* phones connected to the account, not sure that matters.

I am experiencing the same issue today with my 2021 M3LR (picked up in late Oct this year). I am wondering if it has anything to do with the software. I had black screen while driving a few weeks ago. I put in a service request and service person said this car needs software update.

Reactions: Lephturn
Another update: an electrician came out to inspect my charging circuit yesterday. Output was steady at 32 amps and 240 volts, BUT, the 50 amp circuit breaker was feeling warm to the touch while the car was charging.

He swapped out the 50 amp circuit breaker for a new one, and the car completed its charge normally.

I'm hoping that solves the problem for good. What's interesting to me is that the breaker wasn't necessarily defect (witness the fact that my daughter's 2021 Model 3 charges flawlessly) but it was somehow compromised enough that my 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor LR was overly sensitive to changes in the circuit.

I'm putting this out there for others to learn from if they find themselves in a similar situation.

Hmmm… Why is Tesla not even acknowledging that this has become an issue for so many of us?
I have had my Model 3 in for service twice (following a remote service call that simply swapped out my cable for a new one), but this issue has never been corrected. After two months of completely fine charging, in August the car fell into the “stop charging” syndrome every night. However, it starts charging on its own beginning at 8 a.m. and will charge to whatever level I desire until 4 p.m. when it goes for a few miles and stops (and I have not set the “scheduled or departure” charge” selections in the app).
This week I got Tesla service to give me a loaner for a night. They charged my car using my cable at their facility and it worked perfectly. I charged the loaner on their cable using my outlet and it worked perfectly.
This leads me to believe it is probably a software issue (maybe on my iPhone). I will try to charge it tomorrow night (I already limped it to a good charge tonight) with all my devices off. Fingers will be crossed!

and I have not set the “scheduled or departure” charge” selections in the app).
There have already been known problems with the amp adjustment being incorrect and out of sync in the mobile app versus what is on the screen in the car. It wouldn't surprise me at all if scheduling has this same disconnect. So maybe you think scheduling isn't turned on because you're only looking at what is shown in the mobile app, but meanwhile the car has other ideas from what is shown on the actual charge scheduling screen in the car. Go there and make sure it's all turned off there.

May sound stupid but may help someone. Licked mine up yesterday and back at work (live here in the week too) I started my first charge. It stopped within 20 mins. Turned out the thermal cut out on my extension lead had cut out. I went direct to the wall and it charged fine since.

When "charging keeps stopping" , it is almost always a result of the individuals charging setup, so its not a "car" issue. It could be various issues with a persons setup, but its almost always something with someones setup.
Problem solved?
I am using the Tesla app on iOS, and I had a third party app called Optiwatt. I instructed Optiwatt to charge during the cheapest times (between 8am and 4pm, not knowing that the damn thing won’t allow a manual override! Then I deleted Optiwatt from my phone and from the iCloud, but for some reason it remains in the cloud without being visible. So, I reinstalled it to see if there was something I could do.
It turns out that you can delete the Tesla car profile from the Optiwatt app. I did that and my Model 3 charged fine last night.
Once again, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Reactions: Rocky_H