Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port on both sides of Model 3 please?

Would you prefer dual chargin ports?

• Yes, why not!

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • No, One port is fine!

Votes: 73 71.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple charging ports would be cool, but its not something I would pay extra for, so I'll have to say one port is fine.

That said, I would prefer a charging port relocation to the front somewhere. It just seems more convenient for my purposes.

Having the fuel port centered on the back deck makes "Which side do I need to put next to the pump?" a question that never gets asked. True, it's easier to pull off on a convertible. But still.
Robin

Attachments

• luggage rack.JPG
    luggage rack.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 67
I was kind of joking as I thought it was difficult to do. But this would be a great feature that would show the benefits of EVs over Ice and quell range anxiety nay sayers
I'm in total agreement with you on this thing. I would like to get BuddyCharging enabled on my car for Christmas, no joke. (Actually we traditionally get our seasonal gifts on the eve of St. Nicolas' birthday, December 6th. But hey, let's give @Ingineer a couple more weeks to build this thing.)

Having the fuel port centered on the back deck makes "Which side do I need to put next to the pump?" a question that never gets asked. True, it's easier to pull off on a convertible. But still.
Robin
Hey Hey......Here we go. Got someone for a TOP charge port request.

Request for the Top , Right Side, Left Side, Front and Back - Done Only 1 left. The bottom.

Can I get someone to be interested in a charge port underneath the car? Anyone?

...FWIW my vote would be rear, centre.
A centered charge port won't work. Why? Because the very thick cables on Superchargers are short, about one meter in length, and the charge port has to be quite close to the Supercharger for it to work. All Teslas need to have standardized charge ports to allow them to work at Supercharger Stations and there are thousands of Superchargers already oriented for a side location.
I can't reverse into my garage so centrally located at the front will mean a long lead since the likely spot for my charger is between our two garage doors...
Both the UMC (portable EVSE) and HPWC (wall mount EVSE) come with long leads, so that shouldn't be a problem. Several others have mentioned this as well, but a convenient way to route the cable is along the ceiling where it is out of the way and not a tripping hazard:

26377718142_174b539a11_z.jpg

I've been doing it this way for many years. In my case it keeps the cable out of the mud and dirt on the garage floor that my car brings home, since I live on a dirt road in snow country.

...I too prefer the front location of the Leaf, but having lived with left rear, I'm fine with it. I back into my garage so it works well.
I also prefer the LEAF's front location but I found that the Tesla rear camera plus parking sensors make back-in parking very easy (I didn't have a rear camera on my LEAF, although some have them, so it was new to me). I don't mind the rear location of the charge port as much as I thought I would.

A centered charge port won't work. Why? Because the very thick cables on Superchargers are short, about one meter in length, and the charge port has to be quite close to the Supercharger for it to work. All Teslas need to have standardized charge ports to allow them to work at Supercharger Stations and there are thousands of Superchargers already oriented for a side location.Both the UMC (portable EVSE) and HPWC (wall mount EVSE) come with long leads, so that shouldn't be a problem. Several others have mentioned this as well, but a convenient way to route the cable is along the ceiling where it is out of the way and not a tripping hazard:

26377718142_174b539a11_z.jpg

I've been doing it this way for many years. In my case it keeps the cable out of the mud and dirt on the garage floor that my car brings home, since I live on a dirt road in snow country.

I also prefer the LEAF's front location but I found that the Tesla rear camera plus parking sensors make back-in parking very easy (I didn't have a rear camera on my LEAF, although some have them, so it was new to me). I don't mind the rear location of the charge port as much as I thought I would.
This is exactly what I did. Its nice and inexpensive. I won't say cheap....

I will vote for bottom! This means wireless right!?
As a leaf owner the front has always seemed like the obvious choice. Backup camera or not when you are in a crowded parking lot and you're forced to drive past a spot to back into it that is always more complicated.
Oh well, we already know this location isn't changing so I guess I will get used to having my Model 3 back itself into my garage. Right now my EVSE is mounted front and center between the two stalls ready to use for both.

Reactions: Model 3
I will vote for bottom! This means wireless right!?
As a leaf owner the front has always seemed like the obvious choice. Backup camera or not when you are in a crowded parking lot and you're forced to drive past a spot to back into it that is always more complicated.
Oh well, we already know this location isn't changing so I guess I will get used to having my Model 3 back itself into my garage. Right now my EVSE is mounted front and center between the two stalls ready to use for both.

ok folks - Its official.

There is a request to have charging ports all the way around the M3 including the top and bottom.

What does this prove? You won't be able to please everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: River and GoTslaGo
I'm not sure why we keep thinking up solutions to problems that, for the most part, don't really exist. Almost all ICE cars only have a single filler location and have been that way for decades, there are not all that many people out there asking for multiple locations on them are there? I understand that some of the SC locations mean having to back in to charge or that you might need to back into your garage at home, but really, is it that difficult?

Why add needless expense and complexity to a vehicle that they're trying to keep the costs down on? It is just one more thing that can break or malfunction.

As usual with questions such as this, what you want isn't important, what you are willing to PAY FOR is, and how much. At $1,000 and 10,000 cars, you might be able to convince them. Quite frankly, I think they would be idiots to do it for less.

Thank you kindly.