Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging raye

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived with 13% battery and with the batteries conditioned but I have never seen a charge rate like this on my car. What is the highest people have had?
20230905_135956.jpg

I think the highest rate I've seen on my car (2021 M3LR) is around 185kW when I was starting from a similar SOC . I haven't needed to use a supercharger for a while, it might be firmware upgrades have increased the max charge rates or perhaps it was a colder day?

Reactions: Twurzel
Arrived with 13% battery and with the batteries conditioned but I have never seen a charge rate like this on my car. What is the highest people have had?
View attachment 972588
I've seen 250 but at any state of charge over ~30% in a MY, the charge curse is going down from 150kWh.
Once I got that in my head, it helped me realise that other than if the v2 Superchargers were busy and load sharing, I could just as easily use those with little overall impact on longer drives since I'd probably be charging 20% to 80% anyway and using the time for a break.
The 250kWh part of the curve is great at the beginning and if you regularly charge from 10 to 40% only.

I've seen 250 but at any state of charge over ~30% in a MY, the charge curse is going down from 150kWh.
Once I got that in my head, it helped me realise that other than if the v2 Superchargers were busy and load sharing, I could just as easily use those with little overall impact on longer drives since I'd probably be charging 20% to 80% anyway and using the time for a break.
The 250kWh part of the curve is great at the beginning and if you regularly charge from 10 to 40% only.
Is it bad etiquette to deliberately park next to another car at a V2 so that you charger more slowly and have time to get some food before the nags start 🤣

Is it bad etiquette to deliberately park next to another car at a V2 so that you charger more slowly and have time to get some food before the nags start 🤣
never did this - just increased target SOC :D

but I think, once you join the next one to you, original one charges still faster than you (who joined party later) and you become main charger consumer once that person leaves, and so next poor sod will have low charging speed while you will be higher... I think... no?

Reactions: MrBadger
I do, but the pathetic dribble that comes out of the scooshers is completely inadequate for cleaning a really dirty windscreen, such as salt from gritting in winter or the Saharan dust on Saturday. Well below average in my book.
I’m just letting you know that this isn’t necessarily normal! Might be worth further investigation. Even a very dirty screen should clear within a couple of wipes if holding the button. I live in an area with plenty of mud and particularly heavy salting during the winter. (We also got the Sahara dust a few days ago so specifically had to do the wash/wipe of the screen before a trip … and it cleared perfectly.)

Reactions: init6
I think the highest rate I've seen on my car (2021 M3LR) is around 185kW when I was starting from a similar SOC . I haven't needed to use a supercharger for a while, it might be firmware upgrades have increased the max charge rates or perhaps it was a colder day?
The LG packs were limited to 175kW ish intially. A firmware update a few months later unlocked the full beans. This guy did a few videos on the charge curve, including this one where the speed improved.

but I think, once you join the next one to you, original one charges still faster than you (who joined party later) and you become main charger consumer once that person leaves, and so next poor sod will have low charging speed while you will be higher... I think... no?
I have heard this many times but I think it is an urban myth. Based on my experience if am at a V2 and someone plugs in at the partner stall my charge rate invariably drops significantly .

I have heard this many times but I think it is an urban myth. Based on my experience if am at a V2 and someone plugs in at the partner stall my charge rate invariably drops significantly .

I have historical TeslaFi and empirical supercharger info to prove that this was once the case (some suggestion that it may have changed) at some V2 sites - Fleet definitely.

In fact we got caught out by it at our first ever supercharge when I had to push out the charge limit mid McD by 5 minutes because our paired car left so we got priority rate and it’s replacement got the slow charge that we had been getting. See below.

Someone on here with more in-depth knowledge explained how it worked. Iirc v2 supercharger had 4 chargers (same as is fitted inside some cars for AC charging) of which in shared scenario the first car had priority over 3 of them. Second car only got guaranteed access to first charger, then the others as first cars charge rate dropped off or stopped charging.

It’s very easy to see where we got access to second charger then as first car left we got priority access. After that, nothing in our charge curve changed when another car started charging - our charge rate was unaffected because that car only had access to the one charger until we finished or our charge rate had tapered off. Lots of other examples but I remembered this one well as it was our first supercharge on day of pickup.

1694426830340.png

Last edited:
When I got the 2019 Model 3 SR+ it was limited to 100 kW ... but soon after I received a software up date to allow 170kW ... which was nice ... and in practice I've actually seen 177kW (very briefly). However, I would comment that the peaks are not the best gauge of optimum rapid charging as they don't last very long ... it's all about the curve.

the pathetic dribble that comes out of the scooshers is completely inadequate for cleaning a really dirty windscreen

Your scooshers need adjusting, never had that problem in either M3 or MY. I'm always impressed by how much water they managed to "carry" on the blade as it makes its wipe.

Whereas the bog standard old-school jets on the MS are a disaster ... as they were on ICE cars I had back-in-the-day