Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging slow at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
During the last 3 years and driving 113k miles I have used Superchargers several hundred times. With very few exceptions, I always got great charge rates, no matter what temperature and location. These last three days, though, I have been getting much lower rates. It starts normal at more 100 kW, then drops to almost nothing and then levels out at around 50 kW. I always make sure I'm not at a paired stall. Here is what I experienced in a visual form.

This isn't a one time thing. I experienced this over the last three days at different locations in moderate temperatures. I called Tesla and they said they can't see anything wrong with my car (I guess they have limited abilities to see data). Has anyone else experienced this recently? I also monitored the battery temperature (TM-Spy) and it was reasonable.

charegReduced.jpg

I assume the time scale i the same for both graphs?

Interesting that you reached 90% at the same time in both instances. Rather than starting fast and tapering, it seemed (other than the initial blast) to go to a lower level but maintain that same level longer.

Coincidence? That almost looks like something the car is doing intentionally.

During the last 3 years and driving 113k miles I have used Superchargers several hundred times. With very few exceptions, I always got great charge rates, no matter what temperature and location. These last three days, though, I have been getting much lower rates. It starts normal at more 100 kW, then drops to almost nothing and then levels out at around 50 kW. I always make sure I'm not at a paired stall. Here is what I experienced in a visual form.

This isn't a one time thing. I experienced this over the last three days at different locations in moderate temperatures. I called Tesla and they said they can't see anything wrong with my car (I guess they have limited abilities to see data). Has anyone else experienced this recently? I also monitored the battery temperature (TM-Spy) and it was reasonable.

View attachment 220724

Perhaps your charge port is dirty? I think that someone here cleaned theirs and got a normal Supercharger rate afterward. You might also try fully powering off / on your car.

Interesting that you reached 90% at the same time in both instances. Rather than starting fast and tapering, it seemed (other than the initial blast) to go to a lower level but maintain that same level longer.

Actually, no the time in not the same in these two. The bottom one is about 120 min, the top one is aprox 90 min. I used percent on the X-axis. I know not the best choice. I just updated the charts using time as the base. After 40 min I got 70% under normal conditions. With the reduced rate I only got 50% after 40 min of charging.

charegReduced2.jpg

I was wondering exactly the same thing. I also assume the horizontal scale is the same time frame.

@David99 I assume you've seen these threads:

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

Weird Supercharger Incident (Reduced Charge)

There are more, but they all end up at the same place - the handles/plugs on the superchargers are getting too hot and the chargers are reducing the rate to compensate. The heat obviously coming mostly from the high current flowing through them more so than ambient temperature. Some folks have reported spotting Tesla Techs working on the superchargers and changing out the plugs but Tesla has been mostly mum on this whole "situation".

I just returned from another long trip in my new 90D. I experienced this at numerous superchargers across the country (again, like I have in my previous P85D). I just move to another stall when the rate drops. I will say, when I finally find one that does work, the charge rate and taper in the new 90 is fantastic. A snapshot during a charging session working as expected in Denton, TX:

IMG_0336.jpg

When working properly, it stays at almost 90kW or above all the way to 200 Rated Miles. At the instant of that shot I was only down to 89kW after adding 99 miles range - it was kicking butt and actually finished quicker than the navigation estimated time needed before continuing on trip.

Another successful session in Alexandria, LA:

IMG_0335.jpg

Sadly, this is becoming the exception instead of the rule. While not being forthcoming about the problem, I sure hope Tesla is working to resolve it behind the scenes.

Mike

Wonder if shading the charging handle would help at all? If that's why the throttle is happening on the non-SPC limited Teslas, perhaps just wrapping the super charger handle in a white cloth to shade it from the sunlight would help... I'd dare say a wet white cloth might be better but high voltage and such could get the most cautious of us wearing a rubber glove when disconnecting :p

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW
My last dozen or so charges have been identical to these on superchargers that are NOT at reduced rates or reported to have issues. In the case when the SC is working fine, it starts at 114 to 116KW and then within a few minutes drops to 65KW and stays there flat until it the taper curve meets up with it where it would have been had it been charging normally and then decreases from there.

The very last time it went to 45 KW instead of 60KW (starting at 15%) and stayed there until I gave up and unplugged at 37%. I'll post a graph shortly.

I had an appointment last week to drop the car off at Fremont so they could diagnose the issue. The head diagnostic guy there said that if my car wasn't throwing codes then there isn't a problem and there's nothing they can do.

As proof, he put it on their supercharger where it proceeded to start charging at 58KW and he said "see, it's charging normally" to which I responded how could they know since their charger has always been limited to 60KW. Honestly, this is the first really bad experience I've had at Fremont and the first time they've basically told me if there isn't a code thrown then there's nothing they can do.

To their credit, the service manager was very nice and didn't doubt herself that I had a problem and she made me an expedited appointment in Dublin where they have normal super chargers for Monday morning.

At this point, the car is off limits for our long trips as an 8 hour drive will now take 4 hours of charging instead of 2 hours. Basically it's double...even more than double if we pull in with less than 10% soc as we'd normally stay well above 110KW until 40% where we'd normally start tapering off.

Note, I've experience other slow charging sessions at other superchargers known to have issues, but the behavior is different. In those cases, I never get the full charge rate.

In the case where I believe it's my car, it's at SCs and stacks that are known to be good where I'm the only one on that stack and I always start at 114 to 116KW and then drop like a rock within a few minutes to 65KW.

Reactions: David99
Unfortunately, I pulled in at 80, plugged in and burned 20 mins walking the dog before I realized I was only pulling 45kWs. :( Only 2 other cars all spread out among 10 SCs. Moved once, jumped to 114kWs and dropped within a minute to 45/47kWs. :mad:

View attachment 235944
I am seeing exactly the same thing, both at Buttonwillow (98°F) and Gustine (104°F). Kicked off at 110kW, dropped to 60 or less after about a minute. Or, never started high and stayed around 45kW.

Oh yeah, I also experienced the joy of the Dublin Supercharger on a Sunday afternoon. :-(