Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging slow at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, got the car this morning. Haven't yet charged, but the first tech who actually looked at the car swore that it was a condenser fan alert. The tech that did the work several days later said it was a louver alert so they replaced the active louver module.

The first tech who ran the diagnostic when I first brought the car in this morning thought it was odd that it was the louver. He checked and there was no fan alert this time but it could have been cleared.

So it could very well be that I still have an issue. I'll keep the thread updated on my charging sessions.

The active louvers are just there for improved aerodynamics while driving when cooling *isn't* needed. The X could very well have different aerodynamic characteristics that made active louvers unnecessary. I could also be that the S active louvers don't provide enough of an improvement that they thought it was worth carrying over to the X. Perhaps a 1% improvement wasn't worth the hassle of slower charging and accelerated battery degradation due to the commonly failing louver module.

It's worth mentioning to readers of this thread that some early Model X deliveries had high and low compression lines swapped on their AC units. I know this because mine was one of them. This will drastically limit your Supercharging speeds and will disable cabin cooling in even mild weather while Supercharging.

A telltale sign is the incredibly loud AC noise coming from the X even in reasonable temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and kavyboy
It's worth mentioning to readers of this thread that some early Model X deliveries had high and low compression lines swapped on their AC units. I know this because mine was one of them. This will drastically limit your Supercharging speeds and will disable cabin cooling in even mild weather while Supercharging.

A telltale sign is the incredibly loud AC noise coming from the X even in reasonable temperatures.

Same here. Had them fixed, probably soon after you posted a while back

Is there any way to know if this problem exists on my X? My AC runs pretty loud while Supercharging (last fall), but I'd rather have a more fail-safe way of checking before I contact Tesla. Delivery was June of 2016.

Is there any way to know if this problem exists on my X? My AC runs pretty loud while Supercharging (last fall), but I'd rather have a more fail-safe way of checking before I contact Tesla. Delivery was June of 2016.
Those of us who had the issue noticed full speed AC exhaust fan (very loud) at nearly any outside temperature, even in very mild weather. This was even if one wasn't Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Mine sounds like a jet taking off anywhere in warm weather (you hear it clear across a large parking lot), and supercharging is pretty slow <60kW everywhere I go (sometimes I get lucky). But I wouldn't say it's super loud in mild (70s) weather, so not sure if mine is hooked up right or not.

Apparently these things fail quite often so those that are having slow charging issues should check to see if you're louvers are opening when the condenser fans are screaming.

In 2.5 years, I've never seen the louvers open on my car, even when supercharging in warm weather and the fans sounding like the car's about to lift itself into the air. I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there any way to function-check them myself?