Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Combined Charged System Plug.png
2012-tesla-model-s-charging-connector_100365835_m.jpg

HA!

It's easy to like the look and feel of the Tesla charger, but the impact of Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, GM, Porsche and Volkswagen deciding on a new standard for chargers would clearly impact the EV world. The fact Tesla hasn't been a participant in these discussions is troubling, but the notion that 8 major players in the automotive industry discussing charger standards points to the probability of very serious deployment of chargers.

It's easy to like the look and feel of the Tesla charger, but the impact of Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, GM, Porsche and Volkswagen deciding on a new standard for chargers would clearly impact the EV world. The fact Tesla hasn't been a participant in these discussions is troubling, but the notion that 8 major players in the automotive industry discussing charger standards points to the probability of very serious deployment of chargers.

I would not assume that Tesla is not represented on SAE's J1772 committee. I think I read somewhere that they were. Also, Tesla most likely is using the J1772 communication protocol for DC SuperCharging, as they do for AC charging on all of their cars.

GSP

+1 for hcsharp. (correction: Send them to Venus so that you won't see them again. Ever.)

The only reason that Tesla is using their own plug again is the simple fact that they had their design finished before SAE came to a consensus on what the charging plug should look like.

and if those big company's will want to export their ev's to japan they will have to install CHADEMO-ports

so the conclusion, it can be a standard in one place, but not in an other!

we're not out of the woods

if they agree, is one possitive thing! so not a new standard for each of those few constructors!
it will be their standard!

anyhow all these plugs do the same thing: conduct electricity!
making adapters will be no problem

Currently last comment (TomT) in that thread:

I spend a number of minutes at the connector demo booth where a number of people were playing with them, plugging it in and disconnecting it, hefting it, etc... The consensus of opinion from them was that the connection and disconnection force was too high and that, coupled with the higher weight and much thicker cable (among other things, there are 2 gauge wires in it), would be a serious problem for many of the more mature crowd whose motor capabilities are not the same as 40 somethings. Even my wife, who does not fall in to any of those categories found it very hard to connect and disconnect and made the same comments. The guy in the booth clearly had heard all this many times and was very defensive and annoyed about it... That being said, after talking to many people at many booths, it seems clear that this is the way that QC is likely going to ultimately go for most manufacturers, like it or not...

SAE should wake up an smell what they are trying to shove down the general public's throats.

Both Tesla and CHAdeMO have connectors that work very easily. SAE should just have adopted one of those standards for the J1772.

I wonder when someone will make a 3 headed unit.

If Tesla has an SEA -> Tesla adapter (like the J1772->Tesla), does it matter?
Its been mentioned before that the tesla fast charging is to be compatible with the new SAE standard, just as it was with J1772 with tesla having a product in market before anyone else. Its more like there are 2 standards (SAE high speed vs CHAdeMO), with most seeming to support SAE.

I've just been waiting for the standard to get approved and infrastructure build can start if this new standard is going to become the main one and infra build out can ignore CHAdeMO (or have both at stations)

From the same thread (post by Randy), about the Nissan charger that was said to be $10k:

I was speaking with a gentleman at the Aerovironment booth and right across the way was the Nissan / Sumitomo DC Fast charging station that was previously announced to be sold for approximnately $10K...

Since AV is going to be the distributor for the Nissan charging station, I asked about pricing. Long story short, he said that the $10K price is not correct. The indoor version will be selling for about $15K and the outdoor version will be about $25K. Definitive pricing has not been formally announced yet, but those were his estimates...

I think I just ran in to this same issue yesterday with a Schneider Electric EVSE at Springhill Suites in Wenatchee, WA.

Their product description says it has a 5mA GFCI limit, so I assume it's the same issue. The Roadster started talking to it, noted the voltage in real time, and listed the current limit as 30A...but never actually pulled anything (current stayed at 0 until it stopped charging on its own).

I just heard back from Schneider. They are aware of the issue (another Roadster owner hit it, and an ActiveE owner) and they have a fix going through the UL approval process. It sounds like they plan to upgrade units in the field when it's ready. Cool.