Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we have charging stats in the Tesla App, however, even if one has a PW2 there is no connection/awareness that the power charging one’s car has come from solar/PW2….am I wrong? Seems very short sighted to not include solar for those with a PW2.

So, Home % as seen below, has a cost, however, in my case the home charge all came from solar….so no grid charge…so basically those with solar/PW2 the charging stats menu is near on useless.

A8055D2E-194D-4775-8AB9-4F899FCCAA1D.jpeg

Reactions: paulp
So, we have charging stats in the Tesla App, however, even if one has a PW2 there is no connection/awareness that the power charging one’s car has come from solar/PW2….am I wrong? Seems very short sighted to not include solar for those with a PW2.

So, Home % as seen below, has a cost, however, in my case the home charge all came from solar….so no grid charge…so basically those with solar/PW2 the charging stats menu is near on useless.

View attachment 762000
So change your home rate to $0/kWh.

All of my “other” charges are usually free public locations, so I’ve set that rate to $0/kWh so my totals are more accurate.

93AA698E-9268-4637-B9F5-5368AF1E9211.png

A6777FB9-F42C-45D8-B538-CBA8610BDD92.jpeg

Why would I want to change my home to $0?

My home includes solar, battery and grid (which my PW Gateway knows about in the very same app).

90% of the time I charge from solar however sometimes I need to use the grid, or sometimes a cloud goes over and the charge comes from the battery (in summer) or grid (in winter)….or we have many days of clouds and I haven’t had a sunny day to charge so need to do an overnight home charge from grid.

So setting home to $0 is not an ideal solution, and given the Tesla app knows about my PW2 and gateway device surely Tesla could spilt home to include battery, grid and solar…..

Last edited:
Reactions: race4life81
Why would I want to change my home to $?

Just commenting on what you said, which was “in my case the home charge all came from solar….so no grid charge.”

My home includes solar, battery and grid (which my PW Gateway knows about in the very same app).

90% of the time I charge from solar however sometimes I need to use the grid, or sometimes a cloud goes over and the charge comes from the battery (in summer) or grid (in winter)….or we have many days of clouds and i haven’t had a sunny day to charge so need to do any overnight home charge.

So setting home to $0 is not an ideal solution, and given the Tesla app knows about my PW2 and gateway device surely Tesla could spilt home to include battery, grid and solar…..

Perhaps in a future update. Until such time, set your home rate to your best estimate of what it costs you to charge, on average.

So change your home rate to $0/kWh.

All of my “other” charges are usually free public locations, so I’ve set that rate to $0/kWh so my totals are more accurate.

View attachment 762006

View attachment 762009
Its not zero though. In Australia we are paid if we export solar, so the cost of charging is always at least the loss of export income.

Its not zero though. In Australia we are paid if we export solar, so the cost of charging is always at least the loss of export income.
That isnt quite correct. I have a 10kw solar system and inverter but a 5kw export limit, so I can set it using an app I have written to only charge using the power that would be curtailed and therefore dropped and the charging is then actually free.

Reactions: paulp
Why would I want to change my home to $0? My home includes solar, battery and grid (which my PW Gateway knows about in the very same app).

90% of the time I charge from solar however sometimes I need to use the grid, or sometimes a cloud goes over and the charge comes from the battery (in summer) or grid (in winter)….or we have many days of clouds and I haven’t had a sunny day to charge so need to do an overnight home charge from grid.

If you’re OCD like me and have all your energy stats downloaded into a spreadsheet, you can calculate a “blended” effective cost per kWh for all your energy use and including solar generation and export.

My blended grid cost for 2021 was 16.44c/kWh (including greenpower charges and value of solar exports). If I look at my total household consumption and divide it into the cost of my grid electricity (i.e including self-consumed solar) my blended cost for 2021 was 9.6 c/kWh. So I would use the latter figure in the App.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
This is a good first step from Tesla, but ultimately falls pretty far short of what is possible and what should be delivered. Even simple free apps such as EEVEE allow for much more detailed setting adjustment and provide more in-depth metrics, let alone what you can get with some paid services.

I don't mind the MVP approach, but for a trillion dollar company, Tesla has to do much better.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok and Big Earl
"I don't mind the MVP approach, but for a trillion dollar company, Tesla has to do much better."

I see this kind of thing so often in this forum.
Development is iterative. Give them a chance. Of course send feedback and hopefully the PM (product manager) will be looking at your feedback knowing that request is being done already.
The alternate is a long wait for potentially the wrong thing as per the old waterfall ways.
Enough tech people in this forum, some devs, some maybe PM, but blimey so many people upset at v1... every single time.

Reactions: Big Earl
If I ever charge directly from the grid it will be between midnight and 4am where I only pay a little over $0.10/kWh. The rest of the time I'm either charging from the Powerwall or from solar. I get $0.05 for exporting to the grid.

I set up my home charges as $0.10 for 00:00 to 04:00 and $0.05 for the rest of the time.

I also set Other (non-home/Supercharger) to $0.00 as the only other places I charge are free (Destination Charger and NRMA). Of course, if people use various paid services like ChargeFox, I don't know how you'd do it.