Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster with the Yellow 120V cable...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should clarify that the 110V outlet that we use for the yellow cable had to be specially installed in the garage because all the existing outlets were GFI which the Roadster didn't like ("extension cord detected").
Interesting. I had the opposite issue - GFI kept tripping whenever I tried to charge the car. Had to run an extension cord into an adjacent room with a regular plug (non-GFI) until I rigged up a 240v charging solution off the dryer outlet.

When we upgraded our electric service last December (before the credit ran out), I added a pair of 20 amp GFI plugs along with the 14-50 outlet that I now use. Given the overall cost of the upgrade, they were essentially free. I tried the 120 volt yellow cord on the new GFI outlets, and it worked (no trips)! So, it appears that the GFI on the original garage plug is either faulty or overly sensitive. The Roadster 2.x is known to be a little more "leaky" in its grounding, but given that my ham radio can sometimes trip the same GFI outlet (even though not connected through it), and seeing that the new outlets work, I'm inclined to believe the old outlet is the problem, not so much the car. Or, did the standard for GFI tripping change in the last, um, 35 years since the house was built?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
@ViviV What a garage! I am moving and I am already planning the looks of the new garage with some ideas thanks to you!

Thanks @Indian Steve, we were inspired to do it when we brought home the Roadster and realized it deserved a nicer home. Flooring = Swisstrax (online design drawing below), cabinets and wall accessories = MonkeyBars; paint color codes I would need to look up but the Neon Red code is readily available on TMC.
upload_2017-10-26_18-45-29.png

Super cool! Our new house is going to have a rather large detached garage that my other car will rest in while it is being rebuilt. It has a lift and a 240v so the Roadster will probably be parked next to it so I want to do something fun and functional in there.

My yellow 120V cable stopped working. When I push the reset button it clicks green for second and then turns off. Don't know what is wrong but guessing a fuse is blown. Anyone know of any issues with this cable? Can it be repaired?
Thanks

My yellow 120V cable stopped working. When I push the reset button it clicks green for second and then turns off. Don't know what is wrong but guessing a fuse is blown. Anyone know of any issues with this cable? Can it be repaired?
Thanks

It's almost certainly the GFCI plug head that has failed. You can open it up with a screwdriver and just attach a new plug end to the cable and you'll be good to go. Should be a couple dollars at Home Depot.

I tend to use the yellow cord while at work but last week something weird happened and I am not sure if it is normal or my cord is done. I plugged it in for about 5 hours and when I went to unplug it, the plug itself was hot (not hot enough to not touch but hot enough you wouldn't want to hold onto it for long) and the prong itself has melted a portion of the plastic on the outlet. I have used the yellow cable multiple times without that being an issue. I work for a Kia dealer so I grabbed one of the chargers from an Optima Plug In and it didn't seem to have any issues. Any thoughts?

That is what I figured. Would it be beneficial to stick with a factory yellow cable or make any different if I got a newer cable and used the J adapter on it? I have my annual service that I need to schedule so I was going to have the service center take a look at the cord and see what they think about it.

That is what I figured. Would it be beneficial to stick with a factory yellow cable or make any different if I got a newer cable and used the J adapter on it? I have my annual service that I need to schedule so I was going to have the service center take a look at the cord and see what they think about it.
Not sure you understood @smorgasbord. He was suggesting a bad connection in the plug, not the cable. You should only have to replace the plug. It’s a common problem that they go bad. Cut the plug off and replace it with a new one from your fav hardware store. It doesn’t need to be a GFI plug. Keep using the yellow cable.

• Informative
You mention melting of some plastic on the outlet -- the overheating could also indicate a bad socket. The pins on the plug are solid, but the mating connectors in the socket need to move to squeeze tightly on the pins of the plug. If the socket is old and worn it won't squeeze tightly and won't have enough surface area in contact with the ping, thereby causing heating.

The plug can be at fault if the wire is not fastened securely to the pin. Then the heating occurs at the junction of the wire and the pin but the heat can be conducted to the socket to melt plastic there. But I would put my money on the socket.

• Informative
Don't even need to cut the cable. It has terminations that simply unscrew from inside the GFI housing. That way you can keep the crimped termination, and keep all the little wires from coming unraveled.
Actually, I take that back (partly). I just checked, and the yellow cable I have doesn't terminate with crimped terminations - it was another project I was remembering that had them (an EVSE). But still no need to cut the yellow cable, as the GFI plug comes apart easily with a screw driver. Just be sure to get the right wires on the right plug pins.

Sorry for any confusion.