Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging time Scottsdale -> San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if anyone that has made this trip several times might be able to comment as to how long they stopped to charge along the way. I have visited every supercharger along this route, so I am familiar with their surroundings.

Let's assume model 85D

Seems like I could get to Yuma with a range charge from home, but might be a little close. Stop for 10 min in Gila Bend to be safe?

To reduce total charging time, stop in Yuma for about 30 min and then grab more juice in El Centro to take advantage of the taper curves?

At any rate, I am hoping for someone to give some feedback after doing this run several times. I'm sure there are at least a few of you that have made this trip a few times.

Starting zip = 85254 (Scottsdale)

Ending zip = 92106 (San Diego)

I am well aware of EvTripPlanner and what it suggests for this and well aware of how the taper curves work and how to max charge rates. Just looking for some real life experiences on this.

I don't have a Tesla (yet), but I spend way too much time researching things with batteries. Have rented one several times, so I know exactly how they work and could probably give sales demos....just haven't actually made a long range journey requiring more than 1 supercharger stop.

I am still hung up with the idea that my passengers might not enjoy watching the charge screen while sitting stopped and wanted to get an idea of how short the stops could be. If my passengers don't like the trip, then I'm stuck driving ICE and that defeats the purpose of Teslas for me.

I know that eating at a stop would lessen the impact, but let's assume we are not eating on this trip and I'm looking for the fastest possible method. What should I expect on this route?

Thanks so much for your input on this!

I have taken this trip a number of times in my S85, here is what I typically do....

• Charge to 90% the night before, and then about 2 hours until departure change the charge to 100%
  • I stop for maybe 10 Minutes in Gila Bend so everyone can use the rest-room and stretch their legs, there is a large gas station and some fast food places there.
  • After Gila Bend, you will need to charge for maybe 10-15 minutes in Yuma. I would minimize the amount of time you budget for this stop and try to only stay as long as you need, there is literally nothing to do or see at this super charger.
  • Next up on the trip is El Centro, CA. I try to arrive here with like 10 rated miles and typically charge to 80-90% here depending upon how far I need to go but the charger is at a mall and there are plenty of places to eat while the super charger does it's thing.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want any other details.

TLDR: Yuma stinks, don't plan on spending too much time there.

After Gila Bend, you will need to charge for maybe 10-15 minutes in Yuma. I would minimize the amount of time you budget for this stop and try to only stay as long as you need, there is literally nothing to do or see at this super charger.
About a block from the Yuma Super Charger is the Copper Miner Kitchen. We always try to stop there for breakfast on the way back from Arizona, the food is quite good, and cheap if you get the specials.

My advice is to charge enough to skip the next supercharger- for example, if you charge in Gila Bend enough to make it to El Centro then go ahead and stop at Yuma but charge enough to make it to San Diego Reason- If a Supercharger is down, you won't be stranded. I found this method to work on my recent trip back to Tucson from San Diego- Arrived in El Centro and found all stalls off line at about 12:00noon But because i had "overcharged" before I left San Diego, we weren't stranded, we just slowed down a bit to make sure we'd be ok when we got to Yuma. Everything worked out. I found it odd that a supercharger was down, but I've now experienced "down" superchargers twice. Perry OK back in May and then El Centro in Sept. Both times it was a utility issue, not a "real" supercharger issue, but still I was unable to charge.

So my advice stands- charge enough at each supercharger to skip the next one, but don't actually skip it.

Good luck