Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging to 100% twice a week bad for the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can avoid supercharging by charging to 100%, then do that! Stopping to supercharge is inconvenient, costs more money than charging at home (up to 3x), and it can be unpredictable (e.g. SCs at Denver airport are throttled to 37kW at all times, surprise surprise!).

Have the car at 100% for as short a time as possible. Ideally it reaches that charge level just as you are starting your trip.

It's fine. I commute 150 miles one way and 150 miles back once a week for 65,000 miles now, always charging to 100% before I leave, coming and going. Meaning charging to 100% twice a week for 4 years now. Better not to let it sit at full charge for a long time, at least according to rumors on the streets. Over those 65k miles, I'm down 6% on the predicted range, pretty standard numbers despite how you charge, and that range variation is stuffed with myth also, not so much of it real. I don't see any real/true range decrease. Point is charging to 100% twice a week is just fine.

There is a supercharging station 6 mins away from the fencing club. I’ll have her charge it up while waiting for the kid.
If it is an Urban Supercharger these are limited to 72kW charging rate. 72kW is slightly under 1C (1 X the capacity of the battery in kWh) and will not stress the battery compared with the 120/150/250 kW rate Superchargers.

There is a supercharging station 6 mins away from the fencing club. I’ll have her charge it up while waiting for the kid.
...and no need to SC to 100%, just enough to get home w/o any range anxiety.

So, now you know, IF she's willing to SC at the destination, no need to charge to 100% at home, either.

My wife just...doesn't...want...to...think...about...range...issues. She prefers her Avalon Hybrid (500+miles), waits for the "low fuel" warning, and fills up anywhere, never having to think about finding a fuel source. Maybe your wife is the same?

you guys are funny. i didn't want to disclose first, but here it is. our kid just signed up with a fencing club in san diego and he has classes twice a week, we live in Orange county, unfortunately my wife has to take him. if it's me, this won't be an issue, i'm very comfortable supercharging my tesla as this is my 2nd one. however (flame suit on), my wife is a Tesla hate, she has no choice but to take the Tesla for these trips because our other vehicle is a gas guzzler. i really hate to explain to her why we should not charge up to 100% just for peace of mind and how easy to go supercharging the tesla nowadays. so for the sake of arguments, i will charge up the tesla to 100% those 2 days just to safe me headache from explaining to her.

i'm asking this question here to see if it indeed hurting the battery in long run, then i will charge it up to 90% and tell her take it or leave it.
I emphasize with you....if the wife doesn’t want to do it..well that’s it...your best bet is to teach your son the ins and outs of how to charge (if he’s old enough to fence, I’m sure he’s old enough to plug your car in)...all you need now is to see if the wife will compromise (I know, I know) and just drive to a charger and reverse in....anything involving the charging the boy will do...good luck

• Helpful
Reactions: father_of_6
(TOTAL thread drift, but I think it's appropriate, and maybe even humorous

I've felt for decades that realtors, tile shops, furniture stores, paint stores, car dealerships, etc. should have an area on the sales floor with full-time marriage counselors, providing 15 minute sessions for a small fee. Our most complex discussions/disagreements/arguments have occurred during these purchases.

EV dealerships should provide similar counseling for ALL new-EV buyers. Veteran EV owners become quite complacent, maybe even a bit smug, having adjusted to the differences between EV and ICE vehicles. New EV buyers feel overwhelmed by the differences, which, if properly explained, aren't...that...dramatic...except when discussing them one-on-one, husband/wife, w/o a referee!!! [Ask me how I know])

Carry on...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
I emphasize with you....if the wife doesn’t want to do it..well that’s it...your best bet is to teach your son the ins and outs of how to charge (if he’s old enough to fence, I’m sure he’s old enough to plug your car in)...all you need now is to see if the wife will compromise (I know, I know) and just drive to a charger and reverse in....anything involving the charging the boy will do...good luck
my son is 10 years old LOL, i'm sure he would love to do it.

Show her how easy it is to supercharge the car for 10 minutes or so, just DON'T let her run out of battery, I let the wife run out of gas when we were first married. I'm still living that down 35 years later. Don't make that mistake!

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
you guys are funny. i didn't want to disclose first, but here it is. our kid just signed up with a fencing club in san diego and he has classes twice a week, we live in Orange county, unfortunately my wife has to take him. if it's me, this won't be an issue, i'm very comfortable supercharging my tesla as this is my 2nd one. however (flame suit on), my wife is a Tesla hate, she has no choice but to take the Tesla for these trips because our other vehicle is a gas guzzler. i really hate to explain to her why we should not charge up to 100% just for peace of mind and how easy to go supercharging the tesla nowadays. so for the sake of arguments, i will charge up the tesla to 100% those 2 days just to safe me headache from explaining to her.

i'm asking this question here to see if it indeed hurting the battery in long run, then i will charge it up to 90% and tell her take it or leave it.
You don't have to explain anything to us. You asked a question, and instead of answering to your question (if these people even know the answer .. because I don't) people are assuming stuff, being condescending, being outright rude and giving advise. Peace!

It's fine. I commute 150 miles one way and 150 miles back once a week for 65,000 miles now, always charging to 100% before I leave, coming and going. Meaning charging to 100% twice a week for 4 years now. Better not to let it sit at full charge for a long time, at least according to rumors on the streets. Over those 65k miles, I'm down 6% on the predicted range, pretty standard numbers despite how you charge, and that range variation is stuffed with myth also, not so much of it real. I don't see any real/true range decrease. Point is charging to 100% twice a week is just fine.
Thank you for this knowledge share. This sounds so promising.

Let's just say it was Negligence on my part, I knew it was low, but not quite as low as it was... My Dad saved my butt, if she would have walked home. I probably wouldn't be writing this today. LOL
I would argue that in this day and age, women have been asking for equal rights for so long, that they should also be the ones filling up the car sometimes.

We had a chinese EV before and that was a bit of a faff, to charge, as there are 10+ different operators and 10 different ways of paying and 10 different ways of charging (Plug in cable, pay, press start ---- Pay, press start, plug in cable ---- pay, plug in cable, press start etc.

Now we have the Tesla she is totally fine with it, the car tells her when she need to charge, you just plug in and dont need to mess about with payment and the car says when it is okay for her to continue.

Any woman that can not master the art of charging a Tesla, is frankly broken or very very stubborn, in my opinion.

Even my mother would be able to do this i think, and there is a picture of her in the dictionary under "Stubborn"