Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging to 100% twice a week bad for the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife has to take our Model Y Performance on long trips twice a week. due to time constraint, she won't be able to stop at supercharging station along the way. we're charging up the car to 100% on those two days. will this pattern damage the battery? on other days, the battery is kept at 80% max.

my wife has to take our Model Y Performance on long trips twice a week. due to time constraint, she won't be able to stop at supercharging station along the way.
I raise an eyebrow and have to ask about these kinds of iron-clad extreme conditions that people put forth, so I question them. This is a known and expected drive of over 200 miles, but there is not going to be any time at all for a 15 minute stop along the way?
I will comment that if she has to charge to 100% to avoid a stop when its NEW, she will definitely have to plan for a stop in a year or two when the battery is 7% degraded.
This. Supercharging is so incredibly fast that it's easier just to take a quick top-up than trying to white knuckle it to avoid stops.

she won't be able to stop
i'm asking a hypothetical question. of course she can stop
Pick one.

People sometime think this forum is harsh, but this is an example of why people sometimes get responses they don't like. Using a dishonest statement as the premise to ask a question isn't a great way to start.

i'm asking a hypothetical question. of course she can stop along the way to supercharge, but she's trying to avoid that if possible.

So are you saying there is no wife?

Hypothetically speaking, if you *had* a wife, it would not be possible for her to stop for 15 minutes to charge the battery on a somewhat regular commute of known time and distance?

I suspect this won't be the problem you think it will. Kudos for choosing the right car though (although I prefer the Model 3).

I think once you get the car, it'll be so easy to find a wife that you'll have the pick of the lot. Then you can just choose one that doesn't have this commute.

That's what I'd do anyway.

you guys are funny. i didn't want to disclose first, but here it is. our kid just signed up with a fencing club in san diego and he has classes twice a week, we live in Orange county, unfortunately my wife has to take him. if it's me, this won't be an issue, i'm very comfortable supercharging my tesla as this is my 2nd one. however (flame suit on), my wife is a Tesla hate, she has no choice but to take the Tesla for these trips because our other vehicle is a gas guzzler. i really hate to explain to her why we should not charge up to 100% just for peace of mind and how easy to go supercharging the tesla nowadays. so for the sake of arguments, i will charge up the tesla to 100% those 2 days just to safe me headache from explaining to her.

i'm asking this question here to see if it indeed hurting the battery in long run, then i will charge it up to 90% and tell her take it or leave it.

however (flame suit on), my wife is a Tesla hate
Eh, my wife was too early on, and is now only a little on the dislike side of neutral.

i really hate to explain to her why we should not charge up to 100% just for peace of mind and how easy to go supercharging the tesla nowadays. so for the sake of arguments, i will charge up the tesla to 100% those 2 days just to safe me headache from explaining to her.
Yeah, I would probably do that too.

i'm asking this question here to see if it indeed hurting the battery in long run, then i will charge it up to 90% and tell her take it or leave it.
The aspect that is the really harmful thing would be charging it up to 100% and letting it sit there for weeks. That's not all that good. But having it fill to 100% overnight and then leave in the morning isn't all that bad. And really, using it harms the battery. Not using it harms the battery. Looking at it harms the battery. Letting time go by harms the battery. Everything does a little bit. But something like this case you're looking at isn't all that bad.

I do appreciate getting the discussion more open. Maybe there will come some cases where you and she travel, and a Supercharging stop will be necessary, and you take that 15 minute top-up while going to get a coffee or something, and you can see how she responds to that. Is it actually really aggravating, or was it mostly a pre-perception and turns out to be not too bad? Then that can have some effect on decisions about this in the future.

My wife has traveled with me in our old 2014 S85 that has fairly slow Supercharging, and she does like breaks because she feels cooped up sitting in a car too long, but it does become tiresome from how long it ends up being sometimes. So I am looking forward to a trip in June with our new Model Y that will charge way faster to see how her perception is from that.

After reading 3.5 years in this forum, I'd offer that the answer to "is it harmful" is NO. Will it quicken the degradation? Probably. HOW MUCH? No one can answer that accurately, but for sure, they'll guess!

As for your wife who doesn't want to be "inconvenienced" by the extra, TEN MINUTE STOP, I totally understand. My wife is exactly the same. Hates the Tesla for this "inconvenience" factor.

Funny story: we just did a day trip, I forgot to fully charge prior to leaving, had to stop for a quick 10 minute charge( from 5%-60%) on the way home. She grumbled about the inconvenience, but she actually took 25 minutes using the restroom and getting a standing in line for a sandwich.

stigrym3: I feel your pain! ;) 🤪

you guys are funny. i didn't want to disclose first, but here it is. our kid just signed up with a fencing club in san diego and he has classes twice a week, we live in Orange county, unfortunately my wife has to take him. if it's me, this won't be an issue, i'm very comfortable supercharging my tesla as this is my 2nd one. however (flame suit on), my wife is a Tesla hate, she has no choice but to take the Tesla for these trips because our other vehicle is a gas guzzler. i really hate to explain to her why we should not charge up to 100% just for peace of mind and how easy to go supercharging the tesla nowadays. so for the sake of arguments, i will charge up the tesla to 100% those 2 days just to safe me headache from explaining to her.

The short answer to your question is, It probably hurts it "a little" but not enough to worry about, and not enough to not consider doing it. Frankly, the thing that would hurt MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more, would be for your wife to be driving the car, and get a "please slow down to make destination" type alert on screen because she doesnt want to supercharge.

Even here (I live in Temecula, and work in Oceanside), what passes for winter does have an impact on range. So does rain (wet roads have a pretty big impact on range actually).

If you want a suggestion that is low stress, given the additional detail you provided, you are much better off NOT going for the "she has no choice but to take the tesla for these trips because our other car is a gas guzzler" approach, and just let her take the gas car.

Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt one way or another. Either she will have to detour and supercharge once or twice (perhaps shes late one day, so driving 85 instead of 80.. which also will lower range), or she gets some sort of pop up about slowing down to in order to complete the trip, etc. The cost of the gas for your other car is a small price to pay for most, to avoid what is likely to be a knock down drag out argument otherwise.

TL ; DR - if you are driving your child, take the tesla. Let your wife take the gas car, or, take off work once and you make the drive with them in the Tesla, showing her where the supercharger is, etc, so its all a known entity for when she needs to do it. All much better than her "white knuckling it" in a car she doesnt like, while at the same time you being stressed out about "hurt the battery" because you are charging to 100% and she still isnt making it without supercharging sometimes (weather, speed, etc).

This isn't the question you asked, but I think it'd be much worse if she can't make it to her destination because of an "empty battery". A big part of getting over that is learning to rely on the Supercharger network.

I wouldn't want my wife driving an ICE vehicle if she were unwilling to pull over for gas when needed.

I hope you find a solution to your issue! But I sure hope she just SuperCharges.

So... A quick session with google maps says 'Orange County' to San Diego is 87.3 miles. Doubling that gets us to 175 miles. That doesn't sound like 100% of a Model Y Performance. It sounds more like 60%, maybe 80% or even 90% if you want a ton of wiggle room. Even after a 10% degradation in total range, 90% should be plenty.

(Yes, I'm neglecting the potential for OP and the destination to each be at the very far edge of the described areas)

You could always ask her to plug in for 15 minutes (or whatever) when she's waiting for the fencing to complete.

So... A quick session with google maps says 'Orange County' to San Diego is 87.3 miles. Doubling that gets us to 175 miles. That doesn't sound like 100% of a Model Y Performance. It sounds more like 60%, maybe 80% or even 90% if you want a ton of wiggle room. Even after a 10% degradation in total range, 90% should be plenty.

(Yes, I'm neglecting the potential for OP and the destination to each be at the very far edge of the described areas)

You could always ask her to plug in for 15 minutes (or whatever) when she's waiting for the fencing to complete.

I have found the effective range of my car (model 3 performance) driven out here at the flow of traffic on an open freeway (80+) to be around 220 ish miles or so when the car was brand new, and about 200 ish miles now. Both of those counties (orange and San diego) are huuuugggeee so the trip could be 70 miles each way, or 120 miles each way (just spitballing numbers).

First of all, charge the car to what you need it for. Aim to finish charging to 100% shortly before departure to minimize sitting for long periods at 100%. Yes, in theory lower SOC is healthier for battery degradation, but don’t let that hinder you in how you need to use the car.

If your wife is uncomfortable and/or doesn’t like the Tesla then let her drive whatever car she wants.

If she takes the Tesla, she can go supercharge for a few minutes if needed after dropping off your son while she goes to grab a coffee or something.

You can charge the first time to 100% and see what she gets home with and you can lower the charge level accordingly for the future if you want. Or plan it out in the car navigation and see what it estimates the charge level will be.

Or as suggested above, take the trip with them once and show her how easy it would be to charge on the way back or while waiting for your son.

I suppose a tank of gas, even if it's a guzzler, would get her there and back. Otherwise, she is probably quite comfortable filling at a gas station.

Re 90/100% charging, as long as she is driving off shortly after the charging has completed, it is not doing to do too much harm and anyway the potential downside is somewhat ameliorated by your slower home charging.

I wonder if her concerns are based on the fact that some Supercharger sites are a little out of the way and she fears for her safety. She can't really be concerned about the extra 15 minutes on the way home.

2 situations is definitely not going to damage your battery if that is the question. I charge to 80% daily unless i need the extra range for a long roadtrip. Unless you are road tripping every day for many months/years, your car will be fine. If you are really nervous about it, i would put turn the amps down in your charging rate, so it puts less strain on the battery.

you guys are funny. i didn't want to disclose first, but here it is. our kid just signed up with a fencing club in san diego and he has classes twice a week, we live in Orange county, unfortunately my wife has to take him.
Have you looked at charging options near the fencing club? Drop kid off, charge the car, do some shopping, pick the kid up with more charge.