Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging using 32amp Commando and mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have gone a bit overboard then...

2 x 22kW very fast wall chargers
1 x 7kW fast wall charger
1 x 32 Amp Commando UMC charger

None of which are wired into our home consumer unit (as that's now full with other stuff).

But I do have a seperate 3 Phase distribution board that's fairly empty.

The 7kW charger and 32 Amp Commando Socket are both wired into the Tesla Gateway 2 unit. One on backup side, and one on Grid Tied side.

The Tesla Gateway is very good for this stuff.

National Grid have told me now that our house is on the very limit for Voltage Drop acceptance... so I can't add anything else.
What vehicles do you have that will use more than half of the 22kW wall chargers? They are complete overkill for Model 3 and Model Ys. And only a very few Model S or Xs can do more than half, none can use it all.

What vehicles do you have that will use more than half of the 22kW wall chargers? They are complete overkill for Model 3 and Model Ys. And only a very few Model S or Xs can do more than half, none can use it all.

I think you may be missing the point.

You can't have 22kW chargers at home unless you have 3 Phase.

Once you have 3 Phase, you can charge your cars, and your home storage batteries, and power your home all at once. Single Phase would be very restricted.

So, the ability to charge two cars simultaneously at 11kW is already really good. Or even 3 cars charging at once (2x11kW and 1x7kW)

Our Ev Car journey has just begun, so who knows what we'll end up with next, and knowing we have 22kW charging capacity is very nice.

Overkill... we shall see 😀

Last edited:
I have a a 22KW Andersen. My wife and two daughters all have Zoes which are capable of charging at 22KW. Only my incredibly advanced, cutting edge M3 is restricted to 11KW. But even that is a very useful 50% faster than the more usual 7KW charger. Without the 22KW capability of the Zoes I’d undoubtedly have to install at least one more charger.

Reactions: PITA
I have a a 22KW Andersen. My wife and two daughters all have Zoes which are capable of charging at 22KW. Only my incredibly advanced, cutting edge M3 is restricted to 11KW. But even that is a very useful 50% faster than the more usual 7KW charger. Without the 22KW capability of the Zoes I’d undoubtedly have to install at least one more charger.
Tesla decreased the charging because they found out that very few homes had that much excess capacity. The majority of the houses only tend to have 200A panels (48kW) and you have to subtract heating and A/C off of that.

Have you thought about installing another wall charger, useful for failover if nothing else?

• Funny
Reactions: ewoodrick
My wife and two daughters all have Zoes which are capable of charging at 22KW. Only my incredibly advanced, cutting edge M3 is restricted to 11KW. But even that is a very useful 50% faster than the more usual 7KW charger. Without the 22KW capability of the Zoes I’d undoubtedly have to install at least one more charger.
The Zoe really the exception to the rule, they bet on fast AC charging over DC rapid early in the Zoe's life, which kind of made sense at the time. DC rapid has obviously taken over (once packs for larger and charge rates faster).

You'll find that most current gen EVs are 7kw single phase at the budget end, 11kw 3 phase on the mid-high end, and only really 22kw at the premium end (Often optional - Taycan with options fitted, top tier EQS, Eletre).

Last edited:
You’re straying into USA/UK differences there … !
Am I?
1686843931534.png

Yes, I was using my numbers, but my point is that most houses don't have unlimited capacity and that @PITA 's situation is probably unique.
@PITA probably has more charging capacity than most UK houses have for everything.
And that's why Tesla and others aren't trying to match the Zoe.

Yes, I was using my numbers, but my point is that most houses don't have unlimited capacity and that @PITA 's situation is probably unique.
@PITA probably has more charging capacity than most UK houses have for everything.

The sad part about all this... is households are treating electric cars as some kind of novelty.

We all know the winning scenario is having wall chargers at Home. It makes owning an electric car pleasant.

But what happens when electric cars are not a novelty, and everyone has one.

Two or three cars per Household isn't unusual. Good Luck charging all those on Single Phase supplies... and that's not talking about Heat Pumps, Home battery storage or 'all electric' home conversions.

I knew where we needed to be, and pushed hard to get us there... it was not easy with National Grid, took a long time and MANY conversations/ meetings.

But it can be done. 😀

Maybe the UK Government Penny will drop, and they finally realise the National Grid cabling infrastructure is nowhere near ready... regardless of how much power they have access to?

They'll just throw up a smoke screen, shuffle about uncomfortably, and convert everybody to Hydrogen at massive expense.

Reactions: PeteSanders
We all know the winning scenario is having wall chargers at Home. It makes owning an electric car pleasant.

My view is that every house, with off road parking, is going to install a Wall Charger (or several) at some point in time. I don't see the cost coming down from £1,000. So now or later ... broad as it is long. Sell house, having a wall charger (or not) will be A Thing.

Not worthwhile for a low mileage EV driver, per se. But there are a number of benefits such as convenience, maximise what can be replenished in a single Off Peak 4 hour slot (night after a long trip), and ability to come-home, charge (reasonably quickly) and go-out-again, slightly reduces losses charnging at 7kW rather than 13AMP, and so on.

knew where we needed to be, and pushed hard to get us there

I think early will be easier. I have loads of PV, PowerWalls and 2x Wall Charger. DNO permitted them all (and all of their maximum export). I reckon that was 'coz I was "first in area", once they run into too much export in my area they may start restricting it.

Mind you, upgrading to 3-phase is never easy, and mostly is "Arm and Leg Monopoly Price". Although I Ihave heard there is something available for "over 60's"

Maybe the UK Government Penny will drop, and they finally realise the National Grid cabling infrastructure is nowhere near ready... regardless of how much power they have access to?

They'll just throw up a smoke screen, shuffle about uncomfortably, and convert everybody to Hydrogen at massive expense.
In our area, the National Gris infrastructure is NOT there, people are now being refused two Powerwalls; but 5 miles away, things are different.

In our area, the National Gris infrastructure is NOT there, people are now being refused two Powerwalls; but 5 miles away, things are different.
Surely they can install them with an export limit, even if it’s zero ( which is fine IMO). They can’t also refuse solar export to below 3.6kw, again you should be able to install a bigger inverter with an export limit to 3.6kw.

Am I?
View attachment 947276

I think difference is that actually UK standard supply is 100A at 240V which is just 24 kw

I think difference is that actually UK standard supply is 100A at 240V which is just 24 kw

... and there is a vast variation in consumption between different households. We would not challenge that single phase limitation even if we were allowed 2 X 7kW chargers combined with our normal household usage, but there's no guarantee. If the usage was limited to nighttime hours we could run 3 X 7kW chargers without exceeding that limit since we don't go over 0.1kW for everything else ... but the calculations have to take account of different scenarios even if they don't happen in our own household. If we end up with electric heating in the future then that's a totally different ball game.

I don't think that's right.

When I've spoken to National Grid over the last few months... they've point blank told me their Standard is now 80 Amp fuses. Even 3 Phase is 80 Amps per phase.

They are well aware that some older homes have 100 Amp fuses installed, but no more is that allowed on new properties.

Just remember also, that 100 Amp Isolation switches are not fuses. Unless you actually pull the fuse out (and I'm not recommending that), often it's just a 60 Amp fuse installed. Most people don't know because the outside box says 100 Amp. But what that actually means, is the housing box is rated to 100 Amp, not the fuse inside.

I don't think that's right.

When I've spoken to National Grid over the last few months... they've point blank told me their Standard is now 80 Amp fuses. Even 3 Phase is 80 Amps per phase.

They are well aware that some older homes have 100 Amp fuses installed, but no more is that allowed on new properties.

Just remember also, that 100 Amp Isolation switches are not fuses. Unless you actually pull the fuse out (and I'm not recommending that), often it's just a 60 Amp fuse installed. Most people don't know because the outside box says 100 Amp. But what that actually means, is the housing box is rated to 100 Amp, not the fuse inside.
well, my main house breaker is 100 A

I think that is "default" capacity for new (relatively) builds.. Well my house was built in 2014