Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 50a to 30a adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post, sorry if it’s a dumb question. I’m learning

Does anyone know if I can plug my Tesla M3 into a standard 30a RV receptacle at a campground using this adapter?

This adapter belongs to my 5th wheel trailer. Works great if there’s no 50a receptacles to plug in to.

Attachments

• 4B4C8736-C90F-45C1-B87D-1D85FD49B9B2.jpeg
    4B4C8736-C90F-45C1-B87D-1D85FD49B9B2.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 337
I would prefer to see you using a TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 adapter to charge from a TT-30 outlet or one of the standard 30 amp Tesla adapters. Either of these options eliminate the fire risk associated when you or someone else forgets to lower the amperage limit. Using one of these 30 amp adapters or the “dog one you show works fine, but a real adapter that auto-sets the proper current limit is much preferred to the old style adapters like what you show.

Reactions: Leeclanual
This is my first post, sorry if it’s a dumb question. I’m learning

Not a dumb question at all! Actually it is an excellent question! (and I am glad you asked since while it looks like it should work, it actually won't... Would not want you to be "stuck" somewhere!)

Yes, just don't forget to lower your charge current to 25A

This is conceptually correct (as @iluvmacs pointed out), but the correct setting is 24 amps (or less). But also, that adapter won't actually work due to how it is wired.

I would prefer to see you using a TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 adapter to charge from a TT-30 outlet or one of the standard 30 amp Tesla adapters. Either of these options eliminate the fire risk associated when you or someone else forgets to lower the amperage limit. Using one of these 30 amp adapters or the “dog one you show works fine, but a real adapter that auto-sets the proper current limit is much preferred to the old style adapters like what you show.

The adapter linked to above is a pretty complete solution. It is wired correctly and will auto-set to a max of 24 amps. I will say I am not a huge fan of these aftermarket modified Tesla adapters (since I am not convinced extensive testing has been done of the thermal conductivity of the modified adapters in such a way that the thermal overheat sensor will work right), but it is likely potentially the safest of the options.

I actually own this adapter:
AC WORKS EVSE Charging Adapter RV TT-30P 30 Amp Plug to 50 Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla Model S-EVTT30MS - The Home Depot

I have not used it yet, but I have no reason to believe it won't work. Note that you need the special EV version of this, and NOT the RV version since that one will be wired wrong. (it has the two hot conductors tied together so the Tesla will see a 0v potential between them)

As mentioned by others, you must still manually set the max charge rate to 24 amps.

Really, I wish someone made this exact adapter but in a 14-30r version instead of a 14-50r version. That way you could use it in combination with the Tesla 14-30p adapter and it would auto-set the charge rate properly. Only down side would be that the thermal sensor would be even further from the RV receptacle (which has a decent chance of being a crappy receptacle)

Actually, you could get the 14-30p Tesla adapter in addition to the the adapter above and cut the neutral pin off the 14-30p adapter and then epoxy fill in the neutral port on the AC Works adapter, but yeah, that is just too complicated. ;-)

I wish Tesla made a factory TT-30 adapter. We should all bug Tesla about that. It seems very logical to support... Now that there are so many Model 3's on the road they can support having a wider set of adapter options.

Something like a 120V TT to 120V 5-15/20 adapter may be cheaper, although not quite as much power as the EVSE adapter.

And of course you can always plug into the campground pedestal 120V 5-15/20 plug, or even your camper's external AC plug (if available). Unless you travel a lot once you've dropped trailer, you probably don't need fast charging.

Most campgrounds that have a TT-30 will also have a 5-20 receptacle as well, so in most cases you likely won't need the above linked adapter.

I absolutely would invest in the Tesla 5-20 adapter just to have (I own all eight Tesla adapters). The one that comes with the car is a 5-15 adapter - you can get about 50% more speed out of the 5-20 than the 5-15 on receptacles/circuits that support it.

Note that most campgrounds have 14-50 receptacles these days (at least in some spots). That of course will be MUCH faster than a TT-30 if you can get one of those spots.

Good luck with your charging adventures! Do be careful since a lot of RV parks have very worn receptacles, sometimes have wiring issues, etc... (though most likely would not be any risk of damaging your car) They were not really built for high current draw for many hours of EV charging so just be aware that you can uncover issues (probably would not stop me from trying it in most cases, but I do know some RV parks frown on it).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Actually, you could get the 14-30p Tesla adapter in addition to the the adapter above and cut the neutral pin off the 14-30p adapter and then epoxy fill in the neutral port on the AC Works adapter, but yeah, that is just too complicated. ;-)
I did that last year, and it came in handy. I do have one of those older ones from EVSEAdapters.com that is the TT-30 plug to 14-50 outlet. But for setting the current correctly, I do have the neutral pin cut off my 14-30 plug, so I can use it for that kind of pigtail.

So my friend here in town got his Model 3 a few months ago and didn't have a 240V outlet installed yet, but he found that he did have a TT-30 outlet in the back of the garage that the previous house owner had installed. So I swapped him charge cables for a few days, so that he could use my setup with the adapter to TT-30 until he could get the electrician over to install the 14-50 outlet.

Reactions: eprosenx
With a home made TT-30 adapter with a Camco 14-50R you can leave out the neutral connector lug and cut/file a horizontal notch in the 14-50R neutral slot so that you can use the Tesla 14-30 adapter in it (without having to cut off the neutral of the 14-30 adapter). This will automatically limit the current to 24A.
TT-30adapter.jpg

Good luck with your charging adventures! Do be careful since a lot of RV parks have very worn receptacles,
sometimes have wiring issues, etc... (though most likely would not be any risk of damaging your car)
They were not really built for high current draw for many hours of EV charging so just be aware that you can uncover issues
(probably would not stop me from trying it in most cases, but I do know some RV parks frown on it).
May be safe to get one of those Camco RV Circuit Analyzer:

CamcoRV.jpg

I bought a TT-30 adapter from evseadapters, and actually use it a lot. I had to make an extension cord to go around a couple of other cars. It has a 6-30P on the one end, to mate with a pre-existing circuit, and a TT-30R on the other end. So yes, I even use the TT-30 at 240v and it works fine. My extension cord is made from 300v SJOOW, and the TT-30 connection runs cool to the touch - even after several hours of charging.

I used the 6-30/TT-30 combo rather than 14-30 because I could then use 3 conductor wire instead of 4 conductor wire. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably buy a commercially made TT-30 extension cord. One can often buy them at lower cost online or at RV shops than making a homemade one, and the connectors would be molded to the cable for better weather protection. Then build a short 6-30P/TT-30R adapter cable. Likewise one could build a similar adapter with a 14-series plug, leave out the neutral blade, and use it with both 14-30 and 14-50 (at 24 amps of course).

If I could choose one additional adapter for Tesla to offer, it would be a TT-30. A 6-30 or L6-30 would tie for 2nd and 3rd.