Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheaper Supercharger Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WIth the cost of charging increasing, and the lack of information on prices from Tesla and other providers. I was wondering if what others have looked at alternative charging instead of using the Tesla network..

Has anyone found cheaper alternatives recently?

What is the best app to check for alternatives.

WIth the cost of charging increasing, and the lack of information on prices from Tesla and other providers. I was wondering if what others have looked at alternative charging instead of using the Tesla network..

Has anyone found cheaper alternatives recently?

What is the best app to check for alternatives.
gridserve is a bit cheaper in some cases I think?
  • Standalone Low Power AC Chargers : 39p/kWh
  • Electric Forecourts® : 45p/kWh
  • Medium Power Chargers : 48p/kWh
  • High Power Chargers : 50p/kWh

other than that - quite limited ways to charge cheaper, to be honest
instavolt is 57p, BP Pulse is also 57p and ionity even more expensive (69p) unless bonnet app...

unless you are in far superior scotland... :)

but anyway, most of charges are at home for most of people, and then 45p vs 50p is 4 gbp difference per full LR (80 kwh) battery charge, which is really least of the issues I believe?

Reactions: Leejmoff
Tesla’s Supercharging cost per kWh is energy delivered to the car/battery. All other ultra rapids’ cost per kWh is measured before they convert it to DC which means you’re paying for the conversion losses. To compare prices you need to consider that Tesla is something like 10% cheaper (because you’re not paying for the waste). Other threads on here people have put some pretty precise number to the losses.

This will probably have to change when the UK regulates EV billing more (and it is expected to).

Cool to know
It was always the case that other DC rapids charge you for the grid AC they use not the DC you receive. Not sure what the percentage losses actually are. The argument goes that Tesla are therefore incentivised to make their Supercharger equipment efficient whereas for other providers they are incentivised to make their conversion less efficient...

Bonnet came into the European market and offered super-low prices, like 30 €-cent per kWh on ionity chargers in Germany that normally cost 79 €-cent or the Tesla Superchargers at 58 €-cent. I happily signed up and have been charging more than 200 kWh already at that very low price, lower than some people's price for electricity at home.

However, this was just a short-term bait. They just published their new prices, starting August 1st, and these are much higher, though still attractive in some special cases like ionity. But altogether the convenience of the Superchargers together with the Tesla navigation beats them for all but the keenest penny pinchers.

This may happen again with other new entrants into the market. Be Charge comes to mind. Not sure whether their offers cover the UK. It may offer nice temporary savings at the cost of more complicated planning and execution of optimized routes.

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
Anyone used this Supercharger recently?
Is it really 28p?

Attachments

• 7369D841-CF13-40B0-8E7F-EEB10A8113DF.jpeg
    7369D841-CF13-40B0-8E7F-EEB10A8113DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
I am going to guess that English is not your first language, as the new sentence is still rather ambiguous?

To answer the question as asked. Anybody could take a marker pen and write 50p/kWh on the face of a Tesla SC, if that was the correct amount for that location on that day. If it was a Tesla home charger, you could write on it what your provider was charging you, probably about 30p/kWh.

If you are trying to ask someone on here if they can give you a list of the price per kWh of each Tesla SC in the UK, then it would only be good for the day that the list was composed as they change as prices change and some change depending on the time of day. The only place to see a complete and up to date list is in your car by checking the navigation tile of the SC you wish to visit and see what the cost shown currently is.

At the moment Bonnet is cheaper than nearly all SuC using IONITY and Fastned etc, how long this will last is anyones guess. They're cheaper still if you use a refill, i used them in Germany without a problem apart from a charger in Suhl that would only work with RFID, which Bonnet doesn't use despite the charger being in the app.