Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your jack points after service!

Do you have damage to your lift points?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this is one more thing Tesla should redesign, @JonMc, it's unacceptable that a regular tire jack would damage the car.

I can appreciate the car is designed to minimize any drag which includes retractable door handles and anything that might stick out and cause wind drag. If you ever looked under a Tesla from front to back, the entire undercarriage is flat and in the same plane including the lift points. BMW, Mercedes, MiniCooper, and others all require a special jack pad to lift the vehicle without causing damage.

Perhaps along with the universal charge adaptors, they should include a set of lift pads!

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
The lift pads are just plastic. It's pretty easy to damage them superficially. It's damage that doesn't actually matter, and unless one of them is broken in half or something... seriously, just leave it be.

As for the pics of the battery in the OP photos... there's no damage there. There's a plastic sticker of sorts that is on the rails of the pack. It gets beat up by normal usage anyway. It doesn't have any functional properties.

The fears around lifting a Tesla are definitely over-hyped. It's a car. There's not much special about how to lift it. It's nice that it has lift pads and all, but it's not like the car is going to explode or break in two if you lift it improperly.

I've lifted these cars all sorts of ways... including by the battery pack itself. It's fine. Seriously, don't sweat it. The only actual damage I could see an improper lift job causing would be to the battery rails if full weight if on a small part of one of those (I've done this by accident with the corner of a lift pad on the rail)... and even then, all it does is just make it a little harder to remove the battery pack later... doesn't actually affect anything at all safety or functionality wise.

I'd be much more worried about someone damaging the rocker coverings, which I've seen lower than the lift points, than actually damaging anything important.

are you referring to a state mandated inspection? if yes those inspections are cursory and usually don't require much more than a visual inspection if you are referring to the tesla annual service I don't know if any independent shop is equipped or qualified to do that annual inspection. until this year the closest tesla service center was almost a 150 mile drive for me and many others are in similar situations.
In PA, it involves pulling at least one wheel to inspect the brakes. It is mandated and can not be performed by Tesla service centers here, thanks to our friends in Harrisburg.

In PA, it involves pulling at least one wheel to inspect the brakes. It is mandated and can not be performed by Tesla service centers here, thanks to our friends in Harrisburg.
Are you sure? In VA, the reason it can't be done by Tesla service centers is that then Tesla would be required to allow any ICE vehicles to come in and do the annual inspections. Nothing to do about regulations against Tesla.

Are you sure? In VA, the reason it can't be done by Tesla service centers is that then Tesla would be required to allow any ICE vehicles to come in and do the annual inspections. Nothing to do about regulations against Tesla.
Well I hadn't thought about that. But at the same time I don't see many Chevys going into the Honda dealer to get inspected. And the guys from the Devon SC are frequently traveling to Harrisburg to petition lawmakers to allow direct sales and obtain an inspection certificate.

I noticed two Tesla mechanics working on a car in the parking lot at my service center - using a single rolling floor jack at a single lift point. (Safety!) Was very curious if they had some sort of jack adapter, but couldn't tell with them in the way and they were gone when I came back out.

No affiliation ... Lift Point Adapter Pad For Tesla Model S. Tire Service Tire Change | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

The rules may differ here in PA, but in PA the car is actually delivered with a temporary California registration. So essentially buying the car out of state. The buyer then need to go to a PA auto tag dealer, pay the taxes and registration, then go get the car inspected.
In Virginia, they do the normal 'dealer' function of registering the car or transferring your plates. So, they do have to put a normal state safety inspection sticker on it (no emissions inspection, of course). I'll be sure to ask at delivery who did it. Or, it will have the inspection receipt (which theoretically we are supposed to have in the car to prove we didn't buy the sticker bootleg, I've always assumed...) and I can tell from that.

In Oct of last year, I saw several Tesla's lined up in front on an Indy mechanic near me. It's the place I used to have work on my ICE. I asked the owner if they were starting to repair Teslas and he said they were just there for Maryland state inspection.

In Virginia, they do the normal 'dealer' function of registering the car or transferring your plates. So, they do have to put a normal state safety inspection sticker on it (no emissions inspection, of course). I'll be sure to ask at delivery who did it. Or, it will have the inspection receipt (which theoretically we are supposed to have in the car to prove we didn't buy the sticker bootleg, I've always assumed...) and I can tell from that.
New vehicles can be given an inspection sticker by Tesla if they pass manufacturers inspection process. I.e. they do not have to go to Virginia inspection station.

New vehicles can be given an inspection sticker by Tesla if they pass manufacturers inspection process. I.e. they do not have to go to Virginia inspection station.
Really? Hm, I thought they still had to go to a 'real' station. Good to know. I'll still see if they have a recommendation for someone that can do it and not break anything!