Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an emovis (bip & go) tag for my upcoming trip but -
Can anyone advise on where in an M3 to stick it non-permanently so that it works?

I don't particularly want to have it permanently stuck to my windscreen when I'm only going for a few weeks per year. (really prefer to keep the minimalist look.) Does it work if I just leave it on the dash? possibly with a bit of blue-tak, or has anyone got a better solution?
Definitely don't want to hold up the queue while I wave it around etc.
Clips on the visor, a bit awkwardly. We use the Ulys tag as it has French motorway recovery for 5€ a month

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
Can anyone advise on where in an M3 to stick it non-permanently so that it works?

I don't particularly want to have it permanently stuck to my windscreen when I'm only going for a few weeks per year. (really prefer to keep the minimalist look.) Does it work if I just leave it on the dash? possibly with a bit of blue-tak, or has anyone got a better solution?
I left on the dash in the far left side (on the fabric area) and it worked perfectly. Stuck right next to the crit'air sticker which I also didn't want left on my windscreen!

My alternative was trying to clip it into the vent somehow but didn't get it working

Going to Bordeaux on Friday - Eurotunnel there and ferry back. Will report back after, but currently things I got were:
  • GB magnetic sticker to go on back (free from friend)
  • Reflective vest to go in glovebox (free from work)
  • Crit'air application (€4 inc postage)
  • Toll tag (bip&go.. have referral if people interested)
  • Headlights aligned at service centre
So had a lovely first trip driving to Europe in my RWD - posting in case any info helps reassure / advise anyone in future.

1100 miles, avg 250Wh/mi, total charging cost £55, tolls were £60. Worst part was the 3h delay at the chunnel and taycan / Audi's double blocking Folkestone supercharger.. otherwise was a breeze.

Had all aforementioned gear except bip and go toll tag did not arrive in time, so went to a feu vert garage in coquelles and bought a ulys tag for €4 (no tolls to get there).

If anyone does similar I'd advise subscribing and setting up ulys account in advance as they do not do anything at weekends so we could only activate and use it on the way back!

Route was Folkestone chunnel, from Calais to le mans with one stop at bourg achard supercharger. Stayed overnight in beautiful le mans country club with 4 EV chargers, then continued down to our destination near to sainte foy le grand with a single charge at Poitiers sud.

Used autopilot for almost the entire journey, which was excellent at reducing fatigue. SWMBO had very interrupted sleep being woken for toll booths...
Also noticed every supercharger we went to there was a mcdonalds no less than 300yds away.. not quite french cuisine I was hoping for but definitely efficient!

Where we stayed is a relative supercharger "blackspot" compared to the abundance in France. Found a 320kw IEcharge for €0.30/kWh 10 mins down the road thanks to the chargepoint app - would definitely recommend for EU chargers. Contactless refused to authenticate on one post but worked perfectly on the other.

On the way home went via Poitiers sud and le mans superchargers to Le Havre. Ulys tag was great, SWMBO slept the entire way. Got stuck in a bit of traffic and seemed to have had a very heavy right foot to make up for it to spoil the otherwise ~220wh/mi trip.

I guess other things to mention is display didn't automatically switch across to km/h but very quick and simple, and we had zero issues with headlights - truth be told I forgot to check if they "adjusted" when there but no angry french flashing.

As mentioned before to avoid sticking things on windscreen I put crit'air and ulys stickers onto the fabric part at very front left of dash, all worked well. If I was going again I wouldn't bother with breakdown and use ulys breakdown option instead!

All in all for first experience of driving in RHD car across France and back, and first time in the M3 abroad, it was great. The car is ideal for touring, had no issues with charging (despite many saved backup ABRP plans), and it all went very smoothly.

My biggest complaint remains the car charges too damn quickly so when you try to not get McDonald's and get some healthier lunch a 5 min walk away - the cars already back at 90%!

As mentioned before to avoid sticking things on windscreen I put crit'air and ulys stickers onto the fabric part at very front left of dash, all worked well. If I was going again I wouldn't bother with breakdown and use ulys breakdown option instead!
Thanks for this tip. Wondering whether the Switzerland motorway sticker can also be left on the front dash to work - anyone tried that or has any other thoughts?

Which did you get emojis or Bip&Go? They are different subscription setups, with Bip&Go being much cheaper for occasional visits to mainland Europe.

Had all aforementioned gear except bip and go toll tag did not arrive in time, so went to a feu vert garage in coquelles and bought a ulys tag for €4 (no tolls to get there).

If anyone does similar I'd advise subscribing and setting up ulys account in advance as they do not do anything at weekends so we could only activate and use it on the way back!
I'll second the motion for the Ulys tag. Works a treat in France and Spain. Big plus is their "Relax" feature for €5 a month that does motorway recovery... having given up on Tesla Roadside and AA (Green Flag untested thus far).

Ours clips to the M3's visor (awkwardly) but works fine. No need to glue to the windshield or anywhere else.

Thanks for this tip. Wondering whether the Switzerland motorway sticker can also be left on the front dash to work - anyone tried that or has any other thoughts?
Unfortunately no, it is a legal requirement to stick it permanently on the windscreen, otherwise it is deemed as invalid and you are liable to a huge fine, just like if you didn't had any. But as just mentioned by @Ozboz7, the new e-vignette will solve that.

Just for my information, how long did you order before the trip? More than a week? I'm in the process of replacing an old one and I'm starting to be nervous...

Not the clean air one - that you can leave it on the dash. The swiss vignette is the one has to be stickered. Wondering whether it will come off without leaving any mark. Their website says use of WD4 or benzene/alcohol to remove this which doesn’t leave me with lots of confidence.
all those stickers can be removed easily if heat (sun or hair dryer) is applied ;)

• Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
Not the clean air one - that you can leave it on the dash. The swiss vignette is the one has to be stickered. Wondering whether it will come off without leaving any mark. Their website says use of WD4 or benzene/alcohol to remove this which doesn’t leave me with lots of confidence.
Yes, the sticker has a lot of small cuts as an anti-tampering measure, so when you try to remove it it tears up into a lot of small pieces. A tip from some Swiss friends is to apply some petroleum jelly to the area of the windscreen before sticking it. It will come off easily afterwards (but it's borderline legal)

Reactions: spdpsba
I just ordered one... and realised I am a moron and put the wrong car first registration year (2021 instead of 2022).

will it trigger some of their systems and they will ask to fix it or I should spend 4 euros more? :D
I was talking of the big&go tag, not the air quality sticker. I think you are fine, if they do dispatch it.
In any case, you have a Tesla, so it's an no brainer. They focus mainly on non compliant old diesels that don't display one.
Never saw someone fined for not having it in Paris...

Just for my information, how long did you order before the trip? More than a week? I'm in the process of replacing an old one and I'm starting to be nervous...
I ordered mine on Friday 30th June and it was dispatched on the 5th July then arrived on or after following Friday 7th July. Just my issue of ordering on a weekend only a week in advance.

If you are worried it won't arrive, can always sign up to ulys - they only charge €1 as a test (no fee unless used) and good to have it set up before arriving!

Reactions: WllXM