Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you mean - glue foot on top.
Just back from France and a quick observation about the tag use, in our case Emovis. We found it a bit inconsistent and needed to be manipulated a bit to get us through. Some of the scanners are overhead whereas other stations had them overhead and at the side. The boss got quite adept at spotting the scanners and pointing the tag at them - this really improved the performance. If you do go the manual route and don't mount the tag, be sure to point it backwards as if it was actually mounted - we realised this after struggling at the first couple of gates. A lot of the locals seem to go with a manual presentation, not sure if this is due to the consistency of scanning issue or if they're using the tags in more than one vehicle. There are also some stations where you can drive "at them" at up to 30km/h. These seem to work well (good job!) possibly because they have more scanners in place.

Just back from France and a quick observation about the tag use, in our case Emovis. We found it a bit inconsistent and needed to be manipulated a bit to get us through. Some of the scanners are overhead whereas other stations had them overhead and at the side. The boss got quite adept at spotting the scanners and pointing the tag at them - this really improved the performance. If you do go the manual route and don't mount the tag, be sure to point it backwards as if it was actually mounted - we realised this after struggling at the first couple of gates. A lot of the locals seem to go with a manual presentation, not sure if this is due to the consistency of scanning issue or if they're using the tags in more than one vehicle. There are also some stations where you can drive "at them" at up to 30km/h. These seem to work well (good job!) possibly because they have more scanners in place.
What’s your realistic assessment as to how much time you saved using a tag compared to paying at the gate?

Are the toll charges and cheaper with a tag?

Just considering as to whether it’s worth the hassle of getting one or not.

What’s your realistic assessment as to how much time you saved using a tag compared to paying at the gate?

I’ve always paid using cash/ card etc., The only difficulty is sometimes in remote parts they don’t take cards - it has happened few times - so you need cash all the time as back up. May be tag is a good alternative for those scenarios.

For me its:

Risk kerbing wheels / side panels!!, driving close enough to the large concrete barriers (on passenger side) so that my, small, passenger can reach the ticket/payment machine

Passenger having to wake up, if asleep, to pay

Queue time, when busy, for cars in front of me

For a solo-driver, in RHD, the additional would be getting out of car and walking round to the machine ... apart from the few locations, near port, which have "either side" toll machines

The Emovis UK operation has been very little hassle. Quite a lot of extra expense vs paying with car, but very little hassle...

I got one for the same reason. Plus the wife getting grumpy with me for not getting close enough to the ticket machine because I don't want to take a chunk out of the car...

Reactions: Wattsisname
There are usually a few tag only lanes that have no traffic through, compared to some other busy toll gates where you'll be queueing for up to 10 mins.

That with the ease of use, not skimming your wheels, and most importantly not waking up the wife were good reasons for me.

We did the leg down without and at one stop I literally could not get my wife to wake up so had to get out, tap my card and run back around, probably to the amusement of many french drivers.

No cheaper with the tag apparently. However, you save up to a couple of minutes per gate depending on the length of the queue - I guess maybe only 15 minutes or so in a 700 mile journey. That said, the traffic tends to flow quickly through the tag gates but I have seen the odd snarl up at the pay gates where folk have got cards stuck or some such. It is also quite nice to boot the car after the gates to leave the rest of the queues behind :)

If you subscribe to the Bip&Go Electric offer (specific to EV) you get 5% discount on tolls in northern France for a year.

Apart from that, no discount as said above. Just the convenience of centralised billing (so technically you are saving the non-sterling credit card fees each time) and benefit from the speedy dedicated lane. That’s worth the 2€ fee in my book.

The tolls are not cheaper and you will pay for the privilege of the Tag.
Have you driven through France during August?

I notice that at some of the toll plazas, the number of Tag gates are greater than the pay as you go ones many of which are automated.

If you consider the process of getting a Tag a hassle, then give it a miss for now and be guided by this years experience without a Tag when considering your next trip to or through France. IMHO, you may have a low " hassle threshold".

Reactions: Ozboz7
For me its:

Risk kerbing wheels / side panels!!, driving close enough to the large concrete barriers (on passenger side) so that my, small, passenger can reach the ticket/payment machine

Passenger having to wake up, if asleep, to pay

Queue time, when busy, for cars in front of me

For a solo-driver, in RHD, the additional would be getting out of car and walking round to the machine ... apart from the few locations, near port, which have "either side" toll machines
If ever there was a " no brainer".
Now then SWMBO says.... " You will be discussing the relative merits of breathing next🙄".

But any idea how bulky 10m of cable is? Needs to go in the frunk or in the space below the boot ideally. There are four of us in the car and I guess around 365 kg total weight including luggage which is pushing the 375kg max loading for an M3P. So don't want to overdo it
On a road trip, try to keep the cables/adaptors etc in the frunk where they can be easily accessed. We normally keep them in the space below the boot for day to day at home, but transferred them to the frunk for the European trip.
The (2023) MY lights didn't adjust automatically and are higher on the left side (not flat), so I've had to manually adjust and click them considerably lower to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Don't know if it's the same for M3.
We got the official Tesla Schoko adaptor for the granny cable and it works fine, in Germany and Serbia so far and hopefully Greece tomorrow by which time it will have paid for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spon88 and Simavon
I have found this thread really useful, thanks to all contributors. I have received my Bip&Go tag and the Crit'Air sticker is on the way. I wouldn't have thought to have either of these without this thread. I'm driving to a location about 40km outside SW Paris and it's useful to be covered if there's an incident on the Peripherique and I need to divert.

I need to check the contents of the emergency kit in the car to see if there's anything missing that I'd need. Should have an old hi-vis lying around from a previous visit so that's covered. I've cycled in France a lot (3-4 thousand miles in total, I reckon) but have never driven there so it's going to be new.

On a road trip, try to keep the cables/adaptors etc in the frunk where they can be easily accessed. We normally keep them in the space below the boot for day to day at home, but transferred them to the frunk for the European trip.
The (2023) MY lights didn't adjust automatically and are higher on the left side (not flat), so I've had to manually adjust and click them considerably lower to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Don't know if it's the same for M3.
We got the official Tesla Schoko adaptor for the granny cable and it works fine, in Germany and Serbia so far and hopefully Greece tomorrow by which time it will have paid for itself.
We actually run an MYP now but with changed rims and tyres to make it a bit more resilient. We're not long back from a French road trip and exclusively used superchargers on the way there and back. Like you, we had main cables accessible in the frunk but didn't need to use them, the Tesla network was absolutely fine with a bit of pre-planning. Back in the UK we store everything in the sub-boot and/or the space designed for cables in the Y. We have the usual type 2 cable, a 10m "Tough Leads" extension and various adaptors for European travel. Charging at the holiday rental was all done out of the window using the granny charger, extension lead and adaptors. They didn't say we couldn't :)

We didn't need to adjust the lights although we were rarely driving in the dark. Again like you, I think I'd just scroll them down 3 or 4 notches if needed and not bother trying to stick on beam deflectors - I couldn't find any Tesla specific ones anyway.

Overall a relatively simple process and in a ten hour drive, we estimated an extra 75 minutes to accommodate finding and using the superchargers. We'd certainly do it again.

Overall a relatively simple process and in a ten hour drive, we estimated an extra 75 minutes to accommodate finding and using the superchargers. We'd certainly do it again.
I think the "certainly do it again" applies for us too. Have never desired to do a trip in any of our ICE cars but the Tesla is just all fun. The other fun part is becoming fluent in Tesla French. No more shall I think of a church as learned in School to be Eglice but I think Tesla's pronunciation as Egg Lice just brings a smile to my face.

• Funny
Reactions: Ozboz7 and spon88
I think the "certainly do it again" applies for us too. Have never desired to do a trip in any of our ICE cars but the Tesla is just all fun. The other fun part is becoming fluent in Tesla French. No more shall I think of a church as learned in School to be Eglice but I think Tesla's pronunciation as Egg Lice just brings a smile to my face.
Yes some "fantastic" pronunciation - certainly kept us giggling!

need to check the contents of the emergency kit in the car to see if there's anything missing that I'd need. Should have an old hi-vis lying around
Just so you know there's a Tesla hi Vis jacket in the emergency kit. I stuffed it into the glovebox as it "needs to be accessible within the car"

Other option is somewhere in centre console or door bins as they're both quite large

Also already planned another trip in winter.. this time will just need some snow tyre socks

Reactions: Simavon