Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is possible perhaps, but GM does a LOT of Captured Test Fleet testing. These are GM employees driving instrumented cars/trucks all over the US in various conditions. The results are often measured in millions of miles.

It is possible perhaps, but GM does a LOT of Captured Test Fleet testing. These are GM employees driving instrumented cars/trucks all over the US in various conditions. The results are often measured in millions of miles.
Yes, and post-key lock crisis GM tries very, very hard to find ways to defeat their protective logic.
My bet says it did not happen.

Hey, be serious. Sex in a Model S or Model X, sure even comfortably if one has a blow-up mattress.:p
In a Bolt? Only if the participants are small and less than 20 years old.:eek:

The Bolt has a solid 6 inches of head room on a Model S....plenty of passenger space for interior inspection.

Wow, that had to be the most innuendo-laced sentence I've ever typed. Lol

But when it happens to Tesla they usually state something about pulling logs and it being the end user fault (so far). Are we to believe GM doesn't have that kind of capability via OnStar?

If I was investigating a claim that one of my cars had supposedly driven by itself and crashed into a garage, I'd want boots on the ground to look it over with a fine tooth comb.

Reactions: Topher
But when it happens to Tesla they usually state something about pulling logs and it being the end user fault (so far). Are we to believe GM doesn't have that kind of capability via OnStar?
I'm not sure what GM can pull fromt he car remotely.

I'd still want to go take a peek if the 4th car of a brand new model I shipped to s customer is being accused of going Skynet...

I'm curious if the Bolt has a parking pawl in the gearbox. It appears it has a separate park setting in the gear selector versus a parking brake control. If the parking pawl is defective and the parking brake wasn't set, then in essence, the car is in neutral. Unlike an ICE vehicle, there's really nothing preventing the motor from spinning - there is a lot less friction when there is no energy supplied. That's why in a Tesla, which doesn't have a parking pawl, the electric parking brake automatically is set when one puts the car into park.

It appears the 12V battery of the Bolt is only recharged at certain times, perhaps during driving or charging as is the case with the LEAF. The reason for this speculation is that they managed to temporarily KO the Bolt on the floor of the Montreal auto show due to a dead 12V.

This was a model accessible to all and people were playing with the accessories all day.

It appears the 12V battery of the Bolt is only recharged at certain times, perhaps during driving or charging as is the case with the LEAF. The reason for this speculation is that they managed to temporarily KO the Bolt on the floor of the Montreal auto show due to a dead 12V.

This was a model accessible to all and people were playing with the accessories all day.

Perhaps more relevant, that's also how the Volt system works - the DC-DC converter only operates when the car is on (including when the HVAC is triggered remotely I believe,) and there's a separate 12V charger built in to the charger module which operates when charging (and on later model years, also periodically checks/tops off the 12V when the car is parked for long periods.

I could be wrong, but from everything I've read I think Tesla is the only one to take their approach of closing the contactors when the car is off and recharging the 12V from the main battery with the DC-DC converter. This (combined with Tesla keeping more computers/cellular connections active) is the source of the vampire drain (which Volts and presumably Bolts don't have,) and presumably represents some additional level of safety risk, but it also means no problems with the 12V unless the battery itself dies (which unfortunately Tesla has had a history of.)

Attachments

• 20170115_112658.jpg
    20170115_112658.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Disagree
Reactions: bro1999
Perhaps more relevant, that's also how the Volt system works - the DC-DC converter only operates when the car is on (including when the HVAC is triggered remotely I believe,) and there's a separate 12V charger built in to the charger module which operates when charging (and on later model years, also periodically checks/tops off the 12V when the car is parked for long periods.

I could be wrong, but from everything I've read I think Tesla is the only one to take their approach of closing the contactors when the car is off and recharging the 12V from the main battery with the DC-DC converter. This (combined with Tesla keeping more computers/cellular connections active) is the source of the vampire drain (which Volts and presumably Bolts don't have,) and presumably represents some additional level of safety risk, but it also means no problems with the 12V unless the battery itself dies (which unfortunately Tesla has had a history of.)
So if the Volt/Bolt is off the contactors for the HV is closed? I don't recall never hearing the thunk that one supposedly hears in a Tesla.

So if the Volt/Bolt is off the contactors for the HV is closed? I don't recall never hearing the thunk that one supposedly hears in a Tesla.

To the best of my knowledge, when they are off, the contactors are open - isolating the pack voltage from the world.

Volts don't thunk, but they do make audible clicking sounds sometimes (though that might not be the main contactors, since I don't remember hearing it during every startup.)