Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While they do make resistive home heating devices, it's often quicker and cheaper to burn $100 bills in your fireplace.

You are right, resistive heating is very low efficiency, extremely wasteful.
Heat pumps are a lot better option. Any idea why EVs use resistive heating ?
You would think it is important to preserve the energy in the battery for range and not waste it on inefficient heating technique...

You would think it is important to preserve the energy in the battery for range and not waste it on inefficient heating technique...

Cost to benefit is most likely the #1 reason, however, to defrost the inside of a windshield you need both the AC running and the heater running. You would need 2 heat pumps to do this or a single resistive heater. This is why heatpump cars have resistive heater assist.

What? Resistive heating is almost 100% efficient. I guess maybe you're using "efficiency" in its colloquial sense, and yes, in the right conditions heat pumps can provide a lot more heat per consumed watt than resistive (as I recall this is called the "coefficient of performance" and is often well above 100% for heat pumps). I suspect there are several reasons they aren't widely used in cars, two of which are that they tend to be pretty anemic -- they don't blow hot, they blow warmish, the benefit being that they don't require much energy to do it -- and they are basically good for nothing once ambient temperatures get down toward freezing. So if you're going to be relying on resistive heating in the winter anyway (since there's not much heat in the air for your heat pump to harvest) so you're not going to be improving your worst-case performance, why spend the money/weight/complexity on a heat pump? The more so if it's going to take a long time to warm the car even in shoulder season, so you're probably going to use resistive heat then too, to juice the heating until you get the cabin warmed.

ISTR the i3 has a heat pump option, BTW.

I'm going with "clueless wife had no clue how to use the shifter, crashed Bolt into garage, then lies and tells hubby self-sentient Bolt crashed itself after going all Skynet".
It would be a classic example of why one should always plug the EVSE in when parking at home. Car won't drive if EVSE is plugged in... (Though I haven't tried to see what would happen if I had the wife plug in the Volt while I say behind the wheel in 'D')

Reactions: jgs
GM self driving technology.
In the same way that I haven't assumed that all claims of "autonomous acceleration" for Teslas (or any other make) are legit, but rather much more likely have some other factors (many times human), I'm not going to assume the same for GM here either...

Too little data at this point.

In the same way that I haven't assumed that all claims of "autonomous acceleration" for Teslas (or any other make) are legit, but rather much more likely have some other factors (many times human), I'm not going to assume the same for GM here either...

Too little data at this point.
What is interesting is GM is sending someone to look at the OP's car specifically. As if they don't get that kind of telematics from the vehicle already. (I mean really, isn't that what OnStar is for?)

TIL people hang shoes on hooks in their garages.

IMG_4179.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
Joking aside, I don't see how this could even be possible. Even when INTENTIONALLY trying to put my Bolt in reverse, there are a few times I've had to make extra sure I was pushing the button on the side of the shifter in order to put it in reverse, because it didn't take the first time I tried. You HAVE to push the button on the side of the shifter to put the Bolt in reverse...simply moving the stick around isn't enough.

To think a parked Bolt that was turned off could accelerate in reverse with no one in it...... o_O

This would have to be some catastrophic failure on GM's part if what the owner is saying is what actually happened.