Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i.imgur.com/EYngqlx.jpg
EYngqlx.jpg
The number of times folk have posted bad information on the Bolt on this site outweighs the amount correct info.

PS- There are no 80kW CCS around here, the heartland of EVs in the world.

The number of times folk have posted bad information on the Bolt on this site outweighs the amount correct info.

PS- There are no 80kW CCS around here, the heartland of EVs in the world.

Yep, there are only a couple of CCS stations that are rated higher than 50 kW in the US (and none of them can be used by Joe Q. Public). That should be changing later this year though.

keep dreaming meanwhile some google-fu gives:
Google Translate

do you really think Opel would be silent about it if it supported faster charging?

Do you really think Chevrolet would say 149 HP peak EV output in the Volt when it's actually 161 HP?

This dates WAY back in GM history, perhaps starting with the 435HP 427 or the 290HP 302 V8's.

If GM says 400HP you can bet your bottom dollar that no other 400HP car makes as much HP.

Also, notice that the official site for the Bolt on Chevy.com does not list any specs as far as the DCFC capability. The only numbers quoted are "up to 160 miles in 1 hour" and "up to 90 miles in 30 minutes". GM does not state the max DCFC rate is 50 kW on the website.

I have a feeling Elon will do whatever it takes to prevent Chevy from running the "greater range than a Tesla" tag-line in Bolt commercials

Too late. The Bolt had longer range when released than the 40/60/70. Oddly, they didn't advertise that.

1) They gave a bunch of journalists keys and had them drive further than the EPA range.
2) They let a Tesla-centric EV web journalist drive one across Korea with 3 people on board, in all weather and terrain conditions.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and EinSV
Too late. The Bolt had longer range when released than the 40/60/70. Oddly, they didn't advertise that.

1) They gave a bunch of journalists keys and had them drive further than the EPA range.
2) They let a Tesla-centric EV web journalist drive one across Korea with 3 people on board, in all weather and terrain conditions.

Do you drive a Bolt or plan to buy one?

As I said before, the Korean video was a low speed drive that doesn't reflect highway conditions in much of the US. Also, pre-defined routes designated by the manufacturer are almost always chosen to make the vehicle look the best to reporters. This is generally true whether it is GM, Nissan, Honda, or someone else providing a sponsored test drive.

Reactions: techmaven
Do you drive a Bolt or plan to buy one?

As I said before, the Korean video was a low speed drive that doesn't reflect highway conditions in much of the US. Also, pre-defined routes designated by the manufacturer are almost always chosen to make the vehicle look the best to reporters. This is generally true whether it is GM, Nissan, Honda, or someone else providing a sponsored test drive.

It did 292 miles with 3 people on board w/luggage, heavy rain, mountains, freeway, traffic, 45 deg F, not perfect conditions to hit the 238 mile range.

The auto press in California are not known for their superior hypermiling skills. Hardly. They almost never get EPA numbers out of cars. But they passed EPA numbers.

I've driven the Bolt. Roomy, front and rear, seats are fine, love the cutaway A pillar for visibility and Birdseye View. Taut suspension, but not harsh. Intense regen. Apparently torque mgmt tables for lower speeds, because it has more punch at 60 mph than you'd expect. Handles like a bigger car, but parks like a microcar.

The auto press in California are not known for their superior hypermiling skills. Hardly. They almost never get EPA numbers out of cars. But they passed EPA numbers.

Faulty argument.

You are conflating two different types of test drives: (1) manufacturer sponsored, and (2) independent tests.

The auto press drives in California were sponsored by GM and took place along a pre-defined route by GM. Los Angeles-based Motor Trend took part in one of these sponsored drives: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Review - Range Test

The first half of our route, tailored by Chevrolet, largely followed the twists and turns of the Pacific Coast Highway as it leisurely cuts through beach communities and one-stoplight farm towns. PCH, a highway really in name only, rarely sees speed limits top 55 mph, and the road features lots of stop-and-go traffic that favor the regenerative braking capability of electric cars such as the Bolt.

Our post-lunch drive covering the remaining 130 miles to Santa Barbara, including a long stretch on a freeway, where electric cars are least efficient, and a small mountain to drive over, would prove to be a more difficult challenge for the Bolt.... Thankfully, the simple physics principle of what comes up must come down came into play here in the form of an 8-mile downhill stretch that’d drop me into Santa Barbara. Doing little more than coasting down the grade in Low, I managed to regain 18 miles of range.

A few things to note here: the route was chosen by GM. GM would not have sent the press on this route if there was even a slight chance that a journalist would not make it with range to spare. It's clear that the last downhill stretch was strategically chosen. Second, there is no data on the speeds or temperatures. I doubt that journalists would risk a speeding ticket or a wreck, so it's safe to say that on the first leg, the average speed was far less than 55 MPH.

Now if we take a look at an actual independent test from Car & Driver in Ann Arbor, Michigan (GM's backyard) : Chevrolet Bolt EV - Car and Driver

With the cruise control set to 75 mph and the climate system set to 72 degrees, we drove the battery to exhaustion in 190 miles.

I've driven the Bolt. Roomy, front and rear, seats are fine, love the cutaway A pillar for visibility and Birdseye View. Taut suspension, but not harsh. Intense regen. Apparently torque mgmt tables for lower speeds, because it has more punch at 60 mph than you'd expect. Handles like a bigger car, but parks like a microcar.

So, are you going to buy one?

Faulty argument.

You are conflating two different types of test drives: (1) manufacturer sponsored, and (2) independent tests.

The auto press drives in California were sponsored by GM and took place along a pre-defined route by GM. Los Angeles-based Motor Trend took part in one of these sponsored drives: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Review - Range Test

A few things to note here: the route was chosen by GM. GM would not have sent the press on this route if there was even a slight chance that a journalist would not make it with range to spare. It's clear that the last downhill stretch was strategically chosen. Second, there is no data on the speeds or temperatures. I doubt that journalists would risk a speeding ticket or a wreck, so it's safe to say that on the first leg, the average speed was far less than 55 MPH.

Now if we take a look at an actual independent test from Car & Driver in Ann Arbor, Michigan (GM's backyard) : Chevrolet Bolt EV - Car and Driver

So, are you going to buy one?

You are making faulty assumptions that GM rigs tests. We know other brands rig tests, like overstating HP, doing 0-60 mph from a rolling start, using their 'EV range' as a fixed number instead of based on driving data, having factory drivers do the driving,

How far will a Tesla go at 75? Tesla removed that info from the their site. But we do know that with the AC on at 70 mph the Model S 75 is claimed by Tesla (no verification) to go 228 miles. Tesla submitted to the EPA a highway number of 253 miles. That is 11% loss at 70mph with AC on. But what about 75mph? If the Tesla weighs 4500lb, and has a Cd of .24, it should cost 9% more power to cruise at 75 than 70mph above what the losses are at 70 mph. So a touch over 20% lower than EPA highway when cruising at 75mph.

The Bolt filed 217 miles highway range. At 75 mph with AC on, it lost 14% when it went 190 miles.

I do not believe the Tesla has more drag than the Bolt. Did the Bolt has understate their EPA numbers? You decide.

I've tested a lot of cars at the track, but mostly for performance, fuel economy never crossed my mind. Chevrolet tends to hit or exceed their claims every time. I cannot think of a single other brand that does that.

Your statement is misleading at best. I think it could be reasonably characterized as an outright lie.

Here is the actual video from YouTube on Bjorn Nyland's channel, where he drives 292 miles across South Korea:

For people who want to get right to the point, fast forward to 56 minutes and 37 seconds into the video.

Mr. Nyland states: "We were very lucky that we didn't hit any rain here. So, you know this, was uh, very good conditions. Not perfect conditions. Perfect conditions would be Denmark, but still very good"

Also, I note:

Most of the drive takes place in what can only be described as mostly sunny conditions. The highway speeds typically do not exceed 100 km/h, with typical highway driving between 80 and 100 km/h, and some speeds as low as 58 km/h. Roads are well maintained. There is some elevation, but not excessive, and stretches of flat highway. Bjorn specifically notes that they did NOT use AC or central heat, although he did use some of the seat heaters.

So, Bjorn's route, chosen by GM, consisted of mostly low speed (60-100 km/h, or approx 35 mph-60 mph) highway and local driving in fair weather conditions, with no use of AC and some use of seat heaters.

McRat, unless you are citing some other video (and you have specifically cited Mr. Nyland's video elsewhere, like here:Tesla Master Plan: GM got there first, where you specifically stated there was rain, in direct contradiction to Mr. Nyland's own words about conditions on the trip), I do not see how anyone can find you believable at all on this.

Last edited:
I've tested a lot of cars at the track, but mostly for performance, fuel economy never crossed my mind. Chevrolet tends to hit or exceed their claims every time. I cannot think of a single other brand that does that.

2017 1.5 MT Dyno Results | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

Honda Civic L15 Turbo (1.5 liter single-scroll turbocharger). Rated 174 horsepower and 167 lb-ft of torque with 6-speed manual transmission. Actual Dyno result on stock motor on 87 octane fuel? 190 Horsepower and 190 lb-ft of torque.

So you guys don't think the 'Chief of Opel Electrification' would know these details?
Dr Ralf Hannappel: https://de.linkedin.com/in/dr-ralf-hannappel-65791315

i.imgur.com/bmCBPIE.jpg
bmCBPIE.jpg

GM said the Bolt's battery size was 60 kWh and people assumed that was the overall size, with less as the actual usable capacity. Turned out the actual battery size is more like 64/65 kWh, and usable 60.

No surprise if GM was actually understating the DCFC capability as well. I'm 100% confident the Bolt can charge faster than 50 kW/125A. I've had 2 GM engineers tell me off the record thays the case.

The 70D has a EPA rated range of 240 beating the Bolt range of 238 miles by 2 miles :cool:

Reactions: callmesam and Beryl
Except this isn't about Tesla.

So, for the third time: are you going to buy a Bolt? Or a Model 3? Or an Ioniq? Your silence is very odd. Given your high regard for the Bolt, I am curious as to why you don't back up your regard with a purchase.

Gotta admire somebody who would use a club ghetto dyno day with SAE turned on for an argument. No matter, let's just say informal dyno sessions are like a box of chocolates Forrest. Especially during Amateur Hour.

But that has very little to do with accusing Chevrolet of rigging tests as you claim. Somebody miscorrecting a cheesepuff dyno doesn't mean Chevrolet is a bunch of liars as you imply, over, and over, and over, ad nauseam.

For the Bjorn video I assumed because in part of the video it was raining, that it was raining in part of the drive. I saw the pavement was soaked. Watch the video. Perhaps he didn't consider that wet ground yields lower efficiency. The car display says 8°C which affects range. Consider how many times he said the car had no NAV system. What he meant was it doesn't have a Tesla NAV system. It will NAV through your webphones or OnStar. OnStar is what I use. Truly hands free NAV; everything else is less than.