Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
production version reveal live stream (edit: over):

https://www.facebook.com/chevrolet/videos/vb.77589292295/10153831975917296/?type=2&theater

f04e02cc-dfe5-40ec-846d-f1e4b37e560a_800.jpg

215c8770-4784-4797-8f25-b4774c697682_800.jpg

about $30,000 after incentives.
200 mile range
80% charge in 60 minutes
rear camera mirror
10 inch capacitive touch screen with CarPlay and Android Auto.
myChevroletApp
OnStar
In production this year, car demos at CES.

Last edited:
production version reveal live stream (edit: over):

https://www.facebook.com/chevrolet/videos/vb.77589292295/10153831975917296/?type=2&theater

View attachment 106763
View attachment 106764
about $30,000 after incentives.
200 mile range
80% charge in 60 minutes
rear camera mirror
10 inch capacitive touch screen with CarPlay and Android Auto.
myChevroletApp
OnStar
In production this year, car demos at CES.

I think it looks pretty good! GM should have no problem selling it, especially to those who were looking at the 30kwh leaf anyway. I'd still want to sit in it to make sure it actually has as much space as a leaf though. With 0-60 of about 7secs, many people will be pleasantly surprised by its fun-to-drive factor.

I think anyone who thinks the bolt won't do well, is conflating conflict where there isn't one.

In most of my conversations [when trying to get people to try out EV's], electric range has always been a concern. The bolt (much like the model 3) addresses the range issue. There are those in the market who just wants the bare minimum vehicle to do the job. They don't need a "better" vehicle, when good-enough will do. Until the base model 3 (as opposed to the sig and higher trim lines) is actually in production, this group of buyers will choose the bolt over the model 3. There's a large enough buyer pool (with their individual preferences) that all long-range BEV's will sell-out until after 2020.

I think it looks pretty good! GM should have no problem selling it, especially to those who were looking at the 30kwh leaf anyway. I'd still want to sit in it to make sure it actually has as much space as a leaf though. With 0-60 of about 7secs, many people will be pleasantly surprised by its fun-to-drive factor.

I think anyone who thinks the bolt won't do well, is conflating conflict where there isn't one.

In most of my conversations [when trying to get people to try out EV's], electric range has always been a concern. The bolt (much like the model 3) addresses the range issue. There are those in the market who just wants the bare minimum vehicle to do the job. They don't need a "better" vehicle, when good-enough will do. Until the base model 3 (as opposed to the sig and higher trim lines) is actually in production, this group of buyers will choose the bolt over the model 3. There's a large enough buyer pool (with their individual preferences) that all long-range BEV's will sell-out until after 2020.

This group will directly choose chevy sonic

So an hour and a half maybe for a full charge? That is slow. Better than sitting at campgrounds like the old days but only really matters if you can find these chargers. It should get better over time. Still, looks to be a better option than the Leaf at this point.

I think he meant that's pretty slow. But 60 minutes to 80% is pretty consitent with a 50 kW rapid charger.
The Bolt is not designed for all day driving trips: doesn't charge fast enough, no suitable charging network in place (at least in the US) and its small. But it has some nice features and the range is enough for many people. It will sell, but the Model 3 will likely be a vastly superior vehicle.

So we have a few more specs.

0-60 under 7 seconds
Up to 25 miles of range per hour, 9 hours to charge using a 32 amp charger (7.7 kW), meaning 225 miles of range
That means likely 60 kWh of battery (7 kW making it to the battery, 9 hours including some taper).

Of course, 225 miles in that shape likely is "ideal range" and not EPA range. They only need to hit 200 in UDDS range.

Originally in the Bolt's website, it was 80% in 45 minutes, which is about on par with Tesla's 80% in 40 minutes. With the NMC chemistry, I expected that they would be able to handle a higher charging c-rate, maybe going for 80% in 25-30 minutes, even if few CCS chargers can deliver that kind of power. At 80% of a 60 kWh battery in 1 hour, that's 48 kW making it to the battery. That's kinda of terrible.

The Bolt is not designed for all day driving trips: doesn't charge fast enough, no suitable charging network in place (at least in the US) and its small. But it has some nice features and the range is enough for many people. It will sell, but the Model 3 will likely be a vastly superior vehicle.

When comparing the Bolt to what we assume the Model 3 will be, the first (and fair) assumption is the Model 3 will charge faster with its access to the Super Charger network. But I wonder if Tesla Motors will charge a 1 time fee and/or a per use charge to use that network in order to satisfy profit margins. Even if that is the case, the Model 3 will be a much better vehicle just because it has that option. Still I am glad that GM is creating the Bolt because its going to take a lot more cars than Tesla Motors can create to start making a dent in sustainable transportation goals. My fear is not if the Bolt will turn out a better or worse electric car than the Model 3 so much as a fear that GM will be highly restrictive of where and how many Bolts they sell.

peppier than a 30 kWh leaf and longer range but what is the BMS like, how does it manage waste heat and reject environmental heat? Active cooling?

Will it be more reliable than a Nissan Leaf? Will the battery degrade slower?

wow, it must have a much bigger battery. Very open wheels (not aero friendly), tons of open grill space (all on the lower grill but still more open space than I'd expect for an EV).

She thinks dealer network is a plus and makes an anti Tesla dig about not being able to buy or service the car in some locations.

Sounds like they'll try to use MPGe in the dash data. God I hope you can switch it to something more relevant like miles per kWh or watthours per mile. I also hope they actually show SOC% on the dash.

Last edited:
dhanson865;1309316 She thinks dealer network is a plus and makes an anti Tesla dig about not being able to buy or service the car in some locations. [/QUOTE said:
Not being able to buy or service the car in some locations also applies to Chevy dealers. Many will want to have nothing to do with this, even worse than some dealers actively anti-selling the Volt.

peppier than a 30 kWh leaf and longer range but what is the BMS like, how does it manage waste heat and reject environmental heat? Active cooling?

Will it be more reliable than a Nissan Leaf? Will the battery degrade slower?

Lots of things we don't know yet, but GM has one of the best BMS systems in the industry on the Volt, at least the equal of Tesla's. I see no reason to think that the Bolt would be the first modern air cooled GM EV.
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone see the drive options for the Bolt anywhere? Front, rear or all wheel drive options?

Everything they've shown so far is front only. No indication of an AWD option, and the cutaway in the video makes it seem unlikely to fit.

Chevrolet Bolt First Drive Notes: 5 Seats, Designed With Lyft In Mind

We now learn that the recent long-term strategic alliance between General Motors and Lyft with $500 million investment is related to the all new Chevrolet Bolt EV.

Turns out that Bolt EV has been designed with Lyft ride-sharing in mind. There are two important bits of news here:

Bolt EV was purposely built for ride sharing
Bolt EV is a five seater

Pamela Fletcher, GM’s chief engineer for electric vehicles, said to USA Today:

“This really is the first car purposely built for ride sharing,” says Fletcher. She highlights an exterior “that seems shrink-wrapped around the interior,” which provides rear-seat passengers with ample room for three; large door openings and flat floors, which make entering and exiting the car easier; and on-board cameras that on command project an image of a wide field behind the car onto the car’s rearview mirror, which helps with safety when dropping off or picking up passengers in city traffic.”

<snip>
Full article at:
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-first-drive-notes-5-seats-designed-with-lyft-in-mind/